Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2022, 07:20 AM

2,606 posts, read 3,407,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well, I'm happy to provide a brief excerpt which may give you some pointers.

About Zeldin:
New York has a long, proud tradition of moderate, thoughtful Republicans, from George Pataki to Nelson Rockefeller. Mr. Zeldin is not part of this tradition. In his campaign for governor, he makes spurious arguments about crime, and his public safety plan appears to be little more than returning to the zero-tolerance policies that have no clear connection to improving safety. Ads from Mr. Zeldin’s campaign use threatening images of Black men to stoke panic, and one features a crime that took place in California. And the plans Mr. Zeldin has laid out during this campaign lack a serious interest in the work of governing

About Hochul:
Compare that with the record of Kathy Hochul, who has used her first year in office as governor to show that she can get things done to improve the lives of New Yorkers. She appointed top-notch leadership, including Dr. Mary Bassett, the state’s health commissioner, and Janno Lieber, chair and chief executive of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, who have brought competence and zeal to two of the toughest jobs in America. Ms. Hochul has worked diligently with Mayor Eric Adams of New York on issues from transit to crime, and their respectful partnership is a refreshing change from the petty, ego-driven rivalry of Mr. Cuomo and former Mayor Bill de Blasio.
Her record includes an upstate hydropower, solar and wind initiative expected to create thousands of jobs, a proposal for a new rail line in New York City, tax cuts for middle-class families and small businesses, expanded child care subsidies, and $25 billion for affordable housing. Ms. Hochul has struck a deal to bring Micron Technology, a computer chip company, to upstate New York, a move that could add thousands of jobs in the state. Along with the State Legislature, she has strengthened laws that protect reproductive freedom and voting rights and ensure gun safety.

To read the whole thing:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/22/o...-governor.html
LoL what a load of $hit.

The thing with most of you Hochul voters is that you are gutless and have no conviction in your support for her. Not a single one of the Hochul supporters on this sub have come back to defend their decision. It seems like you are blinded by the colors of the political party and can't think logically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 07:39 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,736,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
LoL what a load of $hit.

The thing with most of you Hochul voters is that you are gutless and have no conviction in your support for her. Not a single one of the Hochul supporters on this sub have come back to defend their decision. It seems like you are blinded by the colors of the political party and can't think logically.
They're generally victims of bullying. Democrats threaten heretics with excommunication and convince them that if they get kicked out of the club then they're going to find themselves limbo with evil orange hitler guy

Really it's groupthink that's the problem here. People need to break out of groupthink and tribalism and return to be individuals. You don't "belong" to anyone. The Democrats don't own you, and all the auto-voters need to start understanding that voting for the other guy doesn't change your personality or values, it just means this time you voted for the other guy - nothing more, nothing less.

Old 11-01-2022, 09:28 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,959,103 times
I really hope that Zeldin can pull off an upset here. I, as a native New Yorker, always had to watch my back while out and about, however, these days I avoid the subway, stay away from "characters" on the street, and do not like spending too much time in restaurants/stores. These are cautionary steps I take to make sure that I don't end up in a bad situation due to rising incidents of random crime.

We need Republicans to set things right. I have always voted Republican, yet was willing to give Adams the benefit of helping clean up the City as he ran on a moderate platform, however, I don't see improvements happening. If we can get Zeldin in the Governorship, hopefully, he will be able to work with Adams, and get rid of Bragg and other ridiculous DAs to halt the decline, if not bring some tangible change to NYC.

Old 11-01-2022, 09:40 AM

25,378 posts, read 37,110,432 times
We need Republicans in New York like New Yorkers need more hemorrhoids

Old 11-01-2022, 10:44 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,667,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

But, can you honestly say that you think Hocul is doing a good job?
Would that be a fair statement?

I don't know, but every day I come home from work, and put the news on, I hear of another shooting, so my logic tells me, she isn't doing such a great job. It is every day, it is another shooting.
come on.....

She has been in office for almost a year, and nothing good has come out of it.

NY must have republican all down the line, otherwise we are dommed, because all the democrats we have now are completely ruining the city, the city now is living proof of that. We are NOT safe here, you would have to be a complete idiot no to know that.

and who gives a rats azzz about freaking abortions, that should NOT be on her list of priorties, SAFETY should be, and it aint!

Vote Zelden get rid of Hocul once and for all.
and get rid of Alvin Bragg as well, another freaking loser

Last edited by nightcrawler; 11-01-2022 at 11:08 AM..

Old 11-01-2022, 11:05 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,035,477 times
Hochul is just another Cuomo hack like Gillibrand. Their only qualifications are having a (d) next to their name and playing as yes women to more notorious politicians ( Hillary in Gillibrands case. I can't think of her having any independent thoughts).

Old 11-01-2022, 11:53 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,504,042 times
In the modern era (let's say 1970 or later), NYC/S was in it's best shape when Republicans were running the place. But the locals got stupid and put the Democritters back in charge, and now it's going down the tubes again.

So, sorry, you're very wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Old 11-01-2022, 12:05 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,736,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
In the modern era (let's say 1970 or later), NYC/S was in it's best shape when Republicans were running the place. But the locals got stupid and put the Democritters back in charge, and now it's going down the tubes again.

So, sorry, you're very wrong.
Bloomberg was the inflection point on a giant sine wave

We started as a clean post-war booming city, hippies got bored and rebelled against their parents and the establishment and everybody got disillusioned because of Vietnam, so standards got lax and the criminals took over.

20 years later we just couldn't take it anymore and Rudy cleaned house and people's lives got much, MUCH better. Bloomberg continued the trend and was probably the very best manager of a large city the world has ever seen. He was so effective that people got bored and they were literally nostalgic for the "grit" and "authenticity" of old NYC. People were jaded, black people noticed everybody getting rich except them, the bored trust fund babies developed a white savior complex

In comes De Blasio and destroys everything. State Republicans are all voted out, next thing you know Cuomo says criminals can't be held for bail anymore and they empty out Rikers. Then people get wound up locked in their home afraid of a novel virus, George Floyd is stomped to death by a bad cop, and all hell breaks loose. Everybody turns on the police, NYPD suffers mass resignations and the cops left are the least competent and any of the good ones left just stop enforcing anything they don't have to. Why put their neck on the lines for people who hate them?

Well here we are again, at the bottom of the sine wave. Crime is out of control, people are not safe, things are falling apart and the crazies are telling your kids they can have sex change operations if puberty is too inconvenient.

What did people think was going to happen at this point? Of course, all the incompetent politicians are going to get voted out and replaced.

Cycle continues

Old 11-01-2022, 01:36 PM

7,655 posts, read 8,729,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
She has been in office for almost a year, and nothing good has come out of it.r
More than a year. She became governor in August 2021.

What has she been waiting for? Must have been "working with Adams" and "planning" all these 14 months, only to come up with the plan to "increase police and cameras in subway" few weeks leading up to the election. And guess what if she wins in a week? Back to "planning".

Old 11-01-2022, 04:06 PM

5,842 posts, read 2,964,750 times
Went to vote today.
Wonder if I can go in a few times to vote?

What do democrats do to cheat ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City