Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2022, 07:50 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Well, I'm happy to provide a brief excerpt which may give you some pointers.

About Zeldin:
New York has a long, proud tradition of moderate, thoughtful Republicans, from George Pataki to Nelson Rockefeller. Mr. Zeldin is not part of this tradition. In his campaign for governor, he makes spurious arguments about crime, and his public safety plan appears to be little more than returning to the zero-tolerance policies that have no clear connection to improving safety. Ads from Mr. Zeldin’s campaign use threatening images of Black men to stoke panic, and one features a crime that took place in California. And the plans Mr. Zeldin has laid out during this campaign lack a serious interest in the work of governing

About Hochul:
Compare that with the record of Kathy Hochul, who has used her first year in office as governor to show that she can get things done to improve the lives of New Yorkers. She appointed top-notch leadership, including Dr. Mary Bassett, the state’s health commissioner, and Janno Lieber, chair and chief executive of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, who have brought competence and zeal to two of the toughest jobs in America. Ms. Hochul has worked diligently with Mayor Eric Adams of New York on issues from transit to crime, and their respectful partnership is a refreshing change from the petty, ego-driven rivalry of Mr. Cuomo and former Mayor Bill de Blasio.
Her record includes an upstate hydropower, solar and wind initiative expected to create thousands of jobs, a proposal for a new rail line in New York City, tax cuts for middle-class families and small businesses, expanded child care subsidies, and $25 billion for affordable housing. Ms. Hochul has struck a deal to bring Micron Technology, a computer chip company, to upstate New York, a move that could add thousands of jobs in the state. Along with the State Legislature, she has strengthened laws that protect reproductive freedom and voting rights and ensure gun safety.

To read the whole thing:
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/22/o...-governor.html
Is this a joke?

I lived through the hell of the time before zero tolerance. After almost being shot while walking home with my family on Nostrand Avenue in Brooklyn to having my father and older brother robbed at gunpoint near our house to witnessing other violent crime daily for years, I saw firsthand the impact that zero tolerance had. Simply put, the troublemakers were getting locked up and taken off the streets. It isn't hard to put two and two together on this one.

Hochul and the Dems' cashless bail law and other "reforms," alone (though there are more reasons to that) are enough to disqualify her for office in my view. Also, keep in mind, Pataki was getting called every name in the book as well by leftists. No matter who the GOP nominee is, the left will use the same tired attack lines against him or her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2022, 08:17 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
n his campaign for governor, he makes spurious arguments about crime, and his public safety plan appears to be little more than returning to the zero-tolerance policies that have no clear connection to improving safety.
Silly rabbit! Obviously imprisoning criminals has ZERO connection to crime

What's the matter with you?

Musk should definitely buy the NY Times next and purge these Marxists like he's doing with Twitter

Old 10-31-2022, 08:23 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Silly rabbit! Obviously imprisoning criminals has ZERO connection to crime

What's the matter with you?

Musk should definitely buy the NY Times next and purge these Marxists like he's doing with Twitter
The purpose of imposing bail on persons accused of crimes is not to punish them nor to keep poor people in jail while they await trial, as the left believes. Bail is imposed to ensure the accused return to court to answer for their alleged crimes. Suspects get their money back if they show up. They forfeit their money if they don't. We see now in the BIG THREE DUMB STATES (CA, IL, NY) what happens if you eliminate the penalty for not returning to court.

Old 10-31-2022, 08:39 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
The purpose of imposing bail on persons accused of crimes is not to punish them nor to keep poor people in jail while they await trial, as the left believes. Bail is imposed to ensure the accused return to court to answer for their alleged crimes. Suspects get their money back if they show up. They forfeit their money if they don't. We see now in the BIG THREE DUMB STATES (CA, IL, NY) what happens if you eliminate the penalty for not returning to court.
I'm happy to meet these idiots half way.

I will buy the argument that it's an injustice to jail a poor person because they can't make bail while a rich guy is out the same day. So give them a chance, ONE chance. If they are arrested again even once while on cash bail, remand them until trial with no bail possible, never mind after the 10, 20, 30, 40 times these criminals are getting re-booked on while on "bail" these days.

I don't have the exact stats but my understanding is that something like a tiny portion of the criminals commit a massive proportion of the crimes, it's always the same people.

And don't give me these garbage 'disproportionate' 'equity' arguments about black or brown people. Black people don't want to be victimized just like anybody else. The black criminals who are a TINY percentage of black neighborhoods are terrorizing all the other 99% who just want these people fairly brought to justice in a fair trial and without being roughed up by rogue cops

Old 10-31-2022, 10:32 PM

7,633 posts, read 8,699,793 times
Quote:
About Hochul:
Compare that with the record of Kathy Hochul, who has used her first year in office as governor to show that she can get things done to improve the lives of New Yorkers. She appointed top-notch leadership, including Dr. Mary Bassett, the state’s health commissioner, and Janno Lieber, chair and chief executive of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, who have brought competence and zeal to two of the toughest jobs in America. Ms. Hochul has worked diligently with Mayor Eric Adams of New York on issues from transit to crime, and their respectful partnership is a refreshing change from the petty, ego-driven rivalry of Mr. Cuomo and former Mayor Bill de Blasio.
How has she improved New Yorkers' lives? By making them fear taking the subway? She said in the debate that she was someone that wanted to see results. What are the results of her 14 months' governorship? More and more violent crimes against innocent New Yorkers.

She probably "worked diligently with Mayor Eric Adam" on something, but what was that something?

If after more than a year of her governorship violent crimes increased xx%, does one have reason to believe she'll lower that crime rate after she has secured a second term in power? What has she been doing during the past 14 months?

Quote:

Do New Yorkers need NY Times to tell them whether their own life has improved or worsened?

Old 10-31-2022, 10:41 PM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times
The libs' arguments would make sense if these criminals were arrested for their initial crime. But many are repeat offenders having been arrested dozens of times or even incarcerated for violent felonies. A notorious example is the Black man who stabbed his mom to death, did 20 years, then first thing he did was kick a random Asian woman half to death on a sidewalk in midtown for no reason. Then there was the other Black guy who had been previously arrested for burglary, assaults, armed robbery, etc who raped and murdered an Asian woman in her own apt in Chinatown. And just to prove it's not all black there was the white Uber driver who ran over his old passenger after a fare dispute and a pedestrian in his way. He had been previously arrested for road rage, hit and runs, etc.

Old 11-01-2022, 03:50 AM

5,803 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Extermination of democrats has begun and Libs will cry, oh how they will.
It will be a glorious day when that happens. Decent hard working folk will rejoice and celebrate the defeat of evil democrat infestation that has plagued our lands for some time now.
Remember to keep the Rats out and keep on fighting the plague.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:55 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Extermination of democrats has begun and Libs will cry, oh how they will.
It will be a glorious day when that happens. Decent hard working folk will rejoice and celebrate the defeat of evil democrat infestation that has plagued our lands for some time now.
Remember to keep the Rats out and keep on fighting the plague.
Don’t count your chickens. Hochul is still the favorite. The politician in NYC have been growing the welfare class just for cases like this. If they turn out the vote if the welfare class, she’ll still win.

Old 11-01-2022, 07:03 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
How has she improved New Yorkers' lives? By making them fear taking the subway? She said in the debate that she was someone that wanted to see results. What are the results of her 14 months' governorship? More and more violent crimes against innocent New Yorkers.

She probably "worked diligently with Mayor Eric Adam" on something, but what was that something?

If after more than a year of her governorship violent crimes increased xx%, does one have reason to believe she'll lower that crime rate after she has secured a second term in power? What has she been doing during the past 14 months?

Do New Yorkers need NY Times to tell them whether their own life has improved or worsened?

The NY Times is BS paper, id never listen to them.
She has not improved our lives in any way at all.
Every single day I watch the news, and every single day there is another shooting from a gun.
All she talks about is removing guns, well, obviously she doesn't watch the news, becuase she is not doing a good job.

in her 14 months she has NOT made it safe for NY's.

I think what ever tactic that Guiliani did to make the city safer needs to be implemented once agaion, what ever he did, worked, the Bloomberg kept it up and everything still worked,

then, along comes big bird and this man single handed destroyed the city.

the city needs to go back to the ways of guiliani.

Hocul needs to wake up, she is an idiot, and see that the city is NOT safe.
eff abortion, that is so not important.

Old 11-01-2022, 07:06 AM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My support for Hochul comes mostly from my extreme disdain for her opponent Lee Zeldin.

I am completely pro-choice, allowing abortion until the time the fetus is viable on its own after birth.
I am repulsed by those whose values are dictated by their church dogma.

I am against ant pro-religious zealots and against those whose life has been spent largely in the military learning little more than FOLLOWING ORDERS, the be-all and end-all of military training.
I want a governor who can think for herself.

So, HOCHUL IN NOVEMBER. Her election is assured.
So, you agree with her that there is no crime problem in New York?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City