Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the Marine Right or Wrong? Wrong or Right?
Right 52 71.23%
Wrong 10 13.70%
Not sure 11 15.07%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 06:27 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,109,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
New York City = Cesspool. I lived there in the '90's and oughts. It was glorious. Will never step foot in this demonic hellscape again.
LOL. NYC in the 90s was worse than NYC now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 07:20 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,270,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I like how you added the word essentially. Like this guy didn't have a choice. Look if the city is too scary for people they should leave instead of whining about things that are not in their control. If people don't have enough money to move then who's fault is that.
The city has an obligation to secure public safety. The city is negligent in this regard.

Your mentality and suggestion is one practiced by losers. I can apply your mentality to every problem.

If racism against black Americans existed and exists, why don't they just move back to Africa?

If school shootings are an issue, why don't people just pull their kids from school?

Best of all, if posters use this forum for too many negative stories, as you constantly remind us, why don't you just leave this forum?

See how that works?

Old 05-12-2023, 08:02 PM

34,168 posts, read 47,407,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
The city has an obligation to secure public safety. The city is negligent in this regard.

Your mentality and suggestion is one practiced by losers. I can apply your mentality to every problem.

If racism against black Americans existed and exists, why don't they just move back to Africa?

If school shootings are an issue, why don't people just pull their kids from school?

Best of all, if posters use this forum for too many negative stories, as you constantly remind us, why don't you just leave this forum?

See how that works?
Since when is the city obligated to protect every resident? You have any links to back that up? Or is that just what you were taught to believe? Who taught you that? If it's common knowledge, show me a link.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-12-2023, 08:09 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,109,368 times
Quote:

See how that works?
The real issue is the family. His immediate and extended family failed him. NYC is not responsible for the emotional and mental well-being of every citizen. It is a city to work and live. NYC police is 36K policing a city of 8.2 million NYC residents + 40 million annual tourists + out of state residents that work in city.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:15 PM

34,168 posts, read 47,407,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
The real issue is the family. His immediate and extended family failed him. NYC is not responsible for the emotional and mental well-being of every citizen. It is a city to work and live. NYC police is 36K policing a city of 8.2 million NYC residents + 40 million annual tourists + out of state residents that work in city.
1 cop for every 227 people. It's mathematically impossible to protect everybody

Why do people think they cops are their private protection? 'Cause thats what my taxes pay for!

LoL

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-12-2023, 08:28 PM

34,113 posts, read 17,177,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

i bet a jury of his peers finds him guilty… there is likely more to this then the media knows
LOL. NYC would need a jury full of people who never took a subway to even get a slight shot at a conviction of the fine marine.

I heard that same funny line a few decades back with twice failing to find guilty of all but possession charges Bernie Goetz. The prosecution never stood a chance.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:44 PM

1,080 posts, read 557,515 times
Quote:

Agreed about negligence and the city being culpable.

It's like if you tell your LL there's a piece of brick hanging off the outside of the building on the 2nd floor, dangling over the sidewalk. You tell him over and over, send pics etc. He does nothing

then the brick falls and breaks your foot. Or worse

Mayor and gov. and whoever else is in charge have known about worsening conditions in the subway with mentally ill people attacking menacing and making it their home but have done nothing. They are the guilty party here not Penny who is just a victim in the city's negligence in not protecting public safety

Old 05-13-2023, 02:01 AM

106,957 posts, read 109,218,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
LOL. NYC would need a jury full of people who never took a subway to even get a slight shot at a conviction of the fine marine.

I heard that same funny line a few decades back with twice failing to find guilty of all but possession charges Bernie Goetz. The prosecution never stood a chance.
there were no weapons produced by the bad guy in this case like in GOETZ ..no comparison.

in GOETZ screw drivers were produced to stab him

Old 05-13-2023, 04:32 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,249,548 times
Quote:
Since when is the city obligated to protect every resident? You have any links to back that up? Or is that just what you were taught to believe? Who taught you that? If it's common knowledge, show me a link.
You still haven’t answered Esacni’s question posed to you about blacks moving back to Africa if they are not happy here, you know, the same logic you used for telling people to leave NYC if they are not happy here. I’d like to see how you will try to deflect this one.

Old 05-13-2023, 05:56 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,270,758 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Quote:
1 cop for every 227 people. It's mathematically impossible to protect everybody

Why do people think they cops are their private protection? 'Cause thats what my taxes pay for!

LoL
Either both of you are feigning ignorance or are outright ignorant. Unfortunately, it's most likely the latter.

The city has an obligation to maintain public safety. Anyone who disputes this is a moron.

Controlling the aggressive and violent mentally ill in public spaces is part of that obligation. This isn't a new issue. The city has the resources but has knowingly allowed this problem to fester for years.

There are plenty of cops. The city has plenty of resources. There's been a concerned effort not to address this issue.

Stating that there's 1 for every 227 people is ignorant because 99% of NYC residents do not commit a single violent crime in their entire lifetimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City