Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the Marine Right or Wrong? Wrong or Right?
Right 52 71.23%
Wrong 10 13.70%
Not sure 11 15.07%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 06:16 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
This "former marine" never saw active service.
Seemingly his training was limited to learning how to kill civilians.

His trial should be interesting, perhaps revealing WHY he was discharged. Perhaps "mental illness?"

The two guys who held the victims arms down should face the same charge of First Degree Homicide, not Manslaughter, a mere slap on the wrist.

Had it been a black man strangling a boisterous white man to death, this racist thread would slant quite the opposite.
It's rich coming from someone who lives off of the welfare state. How do you think the US became the most powerful and wealthiest country this earth has ever seen so that people like you can live very comfortable lives while not contributing much to society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2023, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1potter1 View Post
We live in a time when heroes are vilified and villains are praised. It is time to show our support for heroes like Daniel and take back our country from these villains bent on destroying our nation
If you're black, everything is excused because 150+ years ago, your family member's may have been slaves. The cop who killed Floyd was a criminal fool but the country lauded and created statues for someone who pointed a gun at a pregnant woman. That's not too far removed from being a pedohile or child molestor.

Old 05-14-2023, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lock everyone up, build more prisons, pay more corrections officers pensions, more utilities spent to run new prisons

Lol
Rather spend it on that than welfare for the lazy and parsitic. Those who want to participate in a civilized society can. Those that don't, have to be removed. It really is as simple as that.

Eastern societies (Asian and Arabic) have it right. Anti-social behavior, especially of the violent variety, is judged harshly and the offenders removed from society. We Europeans, due to the enlightenment, operate on the premise that individuals deserve second (and in many cases 20x) chances. I believe in second chances but not 4th, 5th, etc. chances.

The main reason we have so many prisoners in the US is that we give people too many chances when they commit "small" crimes. Eventually, due to a lack of serious consequences, many commit more serious crimes.

Old 05-14-2023, 06:29 PM

Quote:
So I guess all those stories about Rikers being overcrowded and NYCDOCS being understaffed is baloney? You sending people up north for misdemeanors? There’s levels to this my friend. Why did Kalief Browder have to wait 3 years for trial? Efficiency?

Furthermore, the deceased already had a warrant out for his arrest. So law enforcement was obviously aware, all they needed to do was pick him up.
That's your welfare state at work. Can't have it both ways. Want more efficient administration of this city? Cut down the welfare state. Of course, you will NEVER vote for that. You want this inefficiency.

Old 05-14-2023, 06:36 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,969,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
It's rich coming from someone who lives off of the welfare state. How do you think the US became the most powerful and wealthiest country this earth has ever seen so that people like you can live very comfortable lives while not contributing much to society?

That is a soul searching question for KK to ponder upon for the remainder of his life off an ending social security system......it puzzles me so much abundant phonies around who cherish/advocate for the freedom/life for criminals over functional and productive citizens...those phonies are equally harmful to the civilization process.

Old 05-14-2023, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
That is a soul searching question for KK to ponder upon for the remainder of his life off an ending social security system......it puzzles me so much abundant phonies around who cherish/advocate for the freedom/life for criminals over functional and productive citizens...those phonies are equally harmful to the civilization process.
Life has become too easy in the US. For most of humanity, life was rough. If you didn't work, you didn't eat. If you were a moron, you most likely died early. Of course, bad luck also took out many individuals. Nowadays, the idiots and the lazy, have it great. Especially in NYC. I'm glad we don't have to live like humans did in the 1200's but how we live now, especially in NYC, is also detrimental to society.

The protestants had it right. Idleness is a sin. It's a cancer on society.

Old 05-14-2023, 09:07 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I provided hard numbers for you from nonpartisan sources. NYS's prison population has clearly been reduced by more than 50% over the last decade. NYC's jail population has also been significantly reduced over time. Thus, even if the argument is that jails and prisons were overcrowded at one point, they are far less packed than they once were. And if we were able to make ends meet with more than twice the population as currently, then there's no need to build new facilities, etc.

But, yes, in some cases I will pointedly say that some reports are baloney. Take a look at this gem pushing back against cries that the city's correctional department is understaffed (more like mismanaged):

Note, Kayla Simpson, is a staff lawyer at the Prisoners’ Rights Project at the Legal Aid Society

https://www.corrections1.com/jail-ma...eq3uZVVHeKlJ3/

Neely did have a warrant for his arrest, but why should police spend resources to arrest people like Neely if he's just going to be put right back out on the street due in part to the asinine laws now on the books? Until these laws are drastically modified or repealed, police are better served going after those crimes where arrests will actually make a difference. Case in point, Neely was free after violently assaulting a senior citizen less than two years ago, leaving the senior with broken bones, etc. That's appalling and he should not have been allowed to roam among the rest of society in light of his violence; in my view, he forfeit that right, but the criminal system post-insane "reform" clearly disagreed.

Also, Kalief Browder's situation is not the norm or anything close to being the norm; not even the city's most vocal opponents to Rikers have tried to make such a claim.
Legal Aid has authority to speak on the situation of correction officers? Lol.

It doesn't matter if Browder's situation is not the norm. It doesn't follow the law, and look at what happened. Oh, it's only 1 person, so it's ok. What kind of attitude is that.

To the bolded - with that attitude, that's like saying hey, why should FDNY go out and keep fighting fires if people are going to continue to be negligent. Maybe they should change the building codes and ban all construction using combustible material, just like you say they should change the law and get more strict against criminals. Less fires, less crime.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 05-14-2023 at 09:32 PM..

Old 05-14-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Rather spend it on that than welfare for the lazy and parsitic. Those who want to participate in a civilized society can. Those that don't, have to be removed. It really is as simple as that.

Eastern societies (Asian and Arabic) have it right. Anti-social behavior, especially of the violent variety, is judged harshly and the offenders removed from society. We Europeans, due to the enlightenment, operate on the premise that individuals deserve second (and in many cases 20x) chances. I believe in second chances but not 4th, 5th, etc. chances.

The main reason we have so many prisoners in the US is that we give people too many chances when they commit "small" crimes. Eventually, due to a lack of serious consequences, many commit more serious crimes.
No, the reason why we have so many prisoners is because, like everything else in the USA, it's a business. Point blank and simple.

You think Asian and Arabic societies are more ideal? You'd be surprised. You think you have any rights here, you'd have even less in their world. This is funny stuff.

Old 05-14-2023, 09:10 PM

Quote:
That's your welfare state at work. Can't have it both ways. Want more efficient administration of this city? Cut down the welfare state. Of course, you will NEVER vote for that. You want this inefficiency.
Lol, I don't vote at all. I don't believe any politician has anybody's best interests at heart, you or me included. If you think otherwise, more power to you. Who am I to crush dreams.

"Aww man my party lost"

Who has time for that

Old 05-14-2023, 10:15 PM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
No, the reason why we have so many prisoners is because, like everything else in the USA, it's a business. Point blank and simple.

You think Asian and Arabic societies are more ideal? You'd be surprised. You think you have any rights here, you'd have even less in their world. This is funny stuff.
This is absolute word salad.

Quote:
Lol, I don't vote at all. I don't believe any politician has anybody's best interests at heart, you or me included. If you think otherwise, more power to you. Who am I to crush dreams.

"Aww man my party lost"

Who has time for that
But this I agree with.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City