Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the Marine Right or Wrong? Wrong or Right?
Right 52 71.23%
Wrong 10 13.70%
Not sure 11 15.07%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 11:05 AM

360 posts, read 169,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I concur
Only if the jury is all Black or Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 11:07 AM

107,027 posts, read 109,313,415 times
you can bet it won’t be

Old 05-15-2023, 11:56 AM

1,342 posts, read 1,685,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
courts don’t judge based on what ifs …

they base judgement on facts at hand now.

courts don’t work based on what may be next time .

in fact many times what transpired in the past is usually not admissible in the case .

just the here and now facts are what is judged ..
In this case I think the judge will allow the jury to hear of Neely's 40+ priors including the recent beating of a 67 year old women, a 70 year old man and an attempted kidnap of a 7 year old child. Eyewitness accounts describe the extreme belligerency of Neely on the F train and one who stated Neely said "I'm going to kill a mother****er!" and then shortly thereafter disrobed and threw his jacket on the ground as a challenge. I think the defense will have a good argument in requesting his priors being admitted.

Old 05-15-2023, 11:57 AM

69 posts, read 28,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Lol, I don't vote at all. I don't believe any politician has anybody's best interests at heart, you or me included. If you think otherwise, more power to you. Who am I to crush dreams.

"Aww man my party lost"

Who has time for that

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiments that you expressed. I don't believe that a politician really cares about fulfilling any promises made, while they were campaigning. They simply tell voters what they want to hear.

The truth is, people should simply do what is necessary (within the confines of the law) to create the type of life that they want for themselves and their families.

Old 05-15-2023, 11:58 AM

well no one knows , nor do we know what the DA knows so we will see but my guess is manslaughter

Old 05-15-2023, 12:00 PM

11,805 posts, read 6,181,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
In this case I think the judge will allow the jury to hear of Neely's 40+ priors including the recent beating of a 67 year old women, a 70 year old man and an attempted kidnap of a 7 year old child. Eyewitness accounts describe the extreme belligerency of Neely on the F train and one who stated Neely said "I'm going to kill a mother****er!" and then shortly thereafter disrobed and threw his jacket on the ground as a challenge. I think the defense will have a good argument in requesting his priors being admitted.
Nope. Prior record is inadmissible by the prosecution unless the defense brings it up for some stupid reason.

Neely will continue to be presented as a very quiet, mild, sweet Michael Jackson fan who wouldn't hurt a fly and just wanted to bring love and joy to the world. His long rap sheet and prior arrests will be inadmissible.

Old 05-15-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post

I am not an attorney, but I would think that Neely's priors wouldn't factor into the case because Penny and the other passengers, didn't know anything about Neely's past.

Old 05-15-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely_SummerNight View Post
I am not an attorney, but I would think that Neely's priors wouldn't factor into the case because Penny and the other passengers, didn't know anything about Neely's past.
i would agree …this is going to be clearly a case of deadly force used when physical force was adequate

Old 05-15-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i would agree …this is going to be clearly a case of deadly force used when physical force was adequate

The million dollar question is, why didn't Penny stop applying the choke hold, after he saw Neely's body go limp? Penny, who is a former marine was trained in combat and knows that the choke hold can kill a person, if a certain amount of pressure is applied for an extended period of time.

As an aside, most New Yorkers wouldn't be interested in getting into any physical altercation with homeless people, unless of course they were physically attacked first.

Old 05-15-2023, 12:43 PM

18,500 posts, read 31,713,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely_SummerNight View Post
The million dollar question is, why didn't Penny stop applying the choke hold, after he saw Neely's body go limp? Penny, who is a former marine was trained in combat and knows that the choke hold can kill a person, if a certain amount of pressure is applied for an extended period of time.

As an aside, most New Yorkers wouldn't be interested in getting into any physical altercation with homeless people, unless of course they were physically attacked first.

as for the "entertainer", no, I don't give a rats azz that he is dead, I'm sorry, I don't.
but, after George Floyd which is know worldwide, the million dollar question should be:

Why on earth of all things would you do is a choke hold on someone???

break his arm, sit on him, pull his hair, anything, but NOT a freaking choke hold.
Sorry, while I can see the Marines POV, the choke hold killed this entertainer. Did he deserve to die, of course not.

40 prior arrests, like really????? he should have either been jailed or in a mental institution, but not be able to roam the streets and subways tormenting the passengers, because that is what he was doing.

so now because the marine used poor judgement and placed a choke hold on "the entertainer", he now faces jail time.
was "the entertainer" worth it?

no, of course not, he was a POS....

and sadly, the marine has ruined his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City