Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the Marine Right or Wrong? Wrong or Right?
Right 52 71.23%
Wrong 10 13.70%
Not sure 11 15.07%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 08:16 AM

1,142 posts, read 858,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Depends what one would deem a slap on the wrist. My guess is that the city will drag this out for as long as possible because there’s more to be gained from the spectacle than the actual trial. In a few years everybody will forget/move on and he’ll get convicted of or plea down to a misdemeanor charge with 3 years probation.
I think this is EXACTLY how it will play out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 11:49 AM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Depends what one would deem a slap on the wrist. My guess is that the city will drag this out for as long as possible because there’s more to be gained from the spectacle than the actual trial. In a few years everybody will forget/move on and he’ll get convicted of or plea down to a misdemeanor charge with 3 years probation.
Everything in NYS system is pleaded down at least one level, at least is offered. This can be before or after case goes to grand jury for indictment. After indictment it's off to races as each side prepares for trial.

Justice cannot be "delayed" by city dragging things out unless council for defendant is either lazy, incompetent or weak.

Court sets trial dates; either side may request adjournments for various reasons but sooner or later opposing side may ask court to tell the other to sh*t or get off the pot. You cannot ask for endless delays without specific reasons and court must feel they are compelling. If things start getting out of hand court can simply say no more adjournments and counsel must be ready to appear locked and loaded on "X" date.

Criminal trials like civil already drag on for ages in NYC for host of reasons having to do with system. This was one of reasons for "bail reform". Eejits sat out at Riker's for months or even years as their cases wound through courts. Thus there isn't a need for Big Boy Bragg's office to slow walk anything.

Old 05-19-2023, 12:23 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,138 times
Quote:
You think a jury not made up of all Black NYCers or the wokest of whites will vote to convict this dude of manslaughter for offing a crazed homeless dude who was threatening to kill others? Especially if a 65+ year old senior citizen will testify that she was in fear of her life. If my mother or grandmother was in that car, I’d be grateful this dude offed this lunatic and so would many others. That’s precisely one of the arguments that will be made and it hits close to home for many.

Every time there’s a crazed homeless individual threatening physical violence or just acting insane , I can guarantee you most sane people wish they could snap their fingers and literally make them go away.
I am Black and would vote to acquit because I want the ability to use lethal force to defend myself and my family. What the woke leftist Whites and kool-aid drinking hoteps don't understand is this goes both ways!!!

So next time a Black man defends himself or others against robbery or assault I expect to see the same standards and precedent applied.

You cannot run away in the Subway!!! There is no duty to retreat in a confined space with no exit!!!

Don't want "vigilantes", put more cops underground. The DA and legislature can't have their cake and eat it too. You want people to stay here either make it safe or let us defend ourselves

Old 05-19-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
I think this is EXACTLY how it will play out
Either way the precedent needs to be set. Let's say I am fighting a guy on the subway platform witnesses see he's trying to push me into an oncoming train. Instead he's the one that gets pushed and he dies.

Cameras capture everything and see he started it. Shouldn't be a misdemeanor, probation or anything. If it's more clear cut than this case I should simply NOT be charged!!!

Give him anger management, community service and probation because theoretically he could have released the headlock with 2 other men around. But jail time should absolutely be off the table. This wasn't a black teen going to school or a hard working Black man. This was a mentally ill unstable and deranged individual that beat up a grandma unprovoked.

Black lives matter but not the ones that demand unlimited compassion while menacing others. How do we tell the difference between you and a ballistic balls to the wall psycho in a split second judgment call when you're screaming and flailing around within arms reach of women and children. And then productive Black men like me are associated with your BS.

In Japan this type of behavior is illegal and not tolerated whether you are Japanese or not. This is why America needs a culture overhaul ASAP.

Old 05-19-2023, 12:36 PM

5,808 posts, read 2,936,362 times
If the lunatic killed a few folks on the train this story would be forgotten in days.

Let’s not forget this shooting. https://www.npr.org/2022/04/12/10922...ation-shooting

Old 05-19-2023, 01:52 PM

30,627 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I am Black and would vote to acquit because I want the ability to use lethal force to defend myself and my family. What the woke leftist Whites and kool-aid drinking hoteps don't understand is this goes both ways!!!

So next time a Black man defends himself or others against robbery or assault I expect to see the same standards and precedent applied.

You cannot run away in the Subway!!! There is no duty to retreat in a confined space with no exit!!!

Don't want "vigilantes", put more cops underground. The DA and legislature can't have their cake and eat it too. You want people to stay here either make it safe or let us defend ourselves
Unfortunately I think they’d weed folks like you and I out of a jury in a heartbeat.

Old 05-19-2023, 02:19 PM

360 posts, read 167,266 times
Quote:

Let's not forget that 3 men held him down. One of who was also Black. So, if he gets brought into the trial ( maybe) then it's no longer presented as a racial issue. You think that the other Black man would not have restrained the bum if he himself didn't think he was in danger?

Old 05-19-2023, 03:41 PM

5,808 posts, read 2,936,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Unfortunately I think they’d weed folks like you and I out of a jury in a heartbeat.
Unfortunately that is true.

Old 05-19-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingofconn View Post
Let's not forget that 3 men held him down. One of who was also Black. So, if he gets brought into the trial ( maybe) then it's no longer presented as a racial issue. You think that the other Black man would not have restrained the bum if he himself didn't think he was in danger?
Good point but unfortunately I believe Alvin Bragg will do anything and everything to either re-classify that guy as not Black, or circle around that fact somehow.

It's times like these where I think there's an active campaign to minimize the voices of rational and productive Black people in these types of narratives. Black men and women that are upstanding citizens are tired of being used as a political ping pong ball. You cannot conveniently insert and remove Blackness when it's convenient.

It's like they are moving forward with hate crime charges without actually doing so. So next time a veteran (especially if they are White) sees something going wrong he's going to walk away and let the chips fall where they may. Which means more women and children will die unnecessarily in the coming years.

Old 05-19-2023, 05:10 PM

34,076 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Good point but unfortunately I believe Alvin Bragg will do anything and everything to either re-classify that guy as not Black, or circle around that fact somehow.

It's times like these where I think there's an active campaign to minimize the voices of rational and productive Black people in these types of narratives. Black men and women that are upstanding citizens are tired of being used as a political ping pong ball. You cannot conveniently insert and remove Blackness when it's convenient.

It's like they are moving forward with hate crime charges without actually doing so. So next time a veteran (especially if they are White) sees something going wrong he's going to walk away and let the chips fall where they may. Which means more women and children will die unnecessarily in the coming years.
Would you have done the same thing as the Marine if you were in that car?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City