Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the Marine Right or Wrong? Wrong or Right?
Right 52 71.23%
Wrong 10 13.70%
Not sure 11 15.07%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2023, 03:05 PM

5,807 posts, read 2,936,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
A link to the fund raising? I am a frugal person but I adore heroism.
https://www.givesendgo.com/daniel_penny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 03:33 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I’d give but I think the dollar amount raised is well in excess of what reasonable legal fees will be for this case. It’s already at $2.65 million raised and counting. I see that excess funds will be used to support mental health initiatives, but that’s too vague for me IMO.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:17 PM

5,807 posts, read 2,936,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I’d give but I think the dollar amount raised is well in excess of what reasonable legal fees will be for this case. It’s already at $2.65 million raised and counting. I see that excess funds will be used to support mental health initiatives, but that’s too vague for me IMO.
Hope he buys a house out of state cash with no mortgage. Gets an easy job and lives life freely.

Old 05-18-2023, 08:31 PM

602 posts, read 313,116 times
Witness to Jordan Neely chokehold death calls Daniel Penny a ‘hero’ — offers to testify on his behalf

A straphanger who witnessed the fatal subway confrontation between Daniel Penny and Jordan Neely earlier this month called Penny a “hero” for restraining the homeless man before his death.

The 66-year-old woman, who asked not to be identified, also said she’d testify on behalf of Penny, 24, who was charged last week with second-degree manslaughter over the deadly encounter.

The witness told The Post that Neely, 30, went on an explosive tirade just before his caught-on-camera death, telling people he was willing to “kill a motherf—-er” and “[take] a bullet” and go to jail.

Neely’s erratic behavior put commuters on the F train subway car on edge as they hurtled between stations in Manhattan, the witness said.

“The rhetoric from Mr. Neely was very frightening, it was very harsh,” the witness told The Post. “People that travel the subway see and hear everything – this was different. And frightening.

“People were gravitating towards the exit doors, and we couldn’t get out because we were still between stations,” she continued. “People exited quickly [when we pulled in], and people were trying to call 911 when they were in the train … I sensed danger.”

cont...

https://nypost.com/2023/05/18/witnes...-penny-a-hero/

Old 05-19-2023, 02:35 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,258,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Sure lets bet a dollar. Unless you really need the money
A real wager has to have some pain involved to count. Talk is cheap.

Old 05-19-2023, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
With good legal defense anything is possible. Remember OJ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
especially with a video documenting it.

i doubt he will get away with less then a plea deal on a manslaughter charge
Of course a good legal team helps but the argument against Penny here is essentially that this was excessive force and not self defense. Mainly due to the fact that Neely wasn’t armed nor had he actually engaged physically with anyone.

However, if there are others in that train car willing to testify that Neely was verbally aggressive and threatening to the point that they feared for their physical well being, that changes things.

The burden of proof is on the prosecution and they have to prove their case “beyond a reasonable doubt”.

Mathjak seems to believe the video makes everything cut and dry. It doesn’t. It also wouldn’t make much sense to plea on a manslaughter charge because even if convicted, he’s not getting a harsh sentence. If he pleas to Manslaughter, he’d still have to serve some time. Pleaing to a misdemeanor assault isn’t out of the question.

If the city tries to drag this out for years, then you know that they don’t even believe their case is strong. This is a politically motivated case. If this wasn’t a black individual dying at the hands of a white person, this case wouldn’t exist.

Old 05-19-2023, 03:29 AM

106,611 posts, read 108,757,383 times
well we can guess all we want but time will tell exactly what he gets.. one thing is certain , it won’t be a slap on the wrist

Old 05-19-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
well we can guess all we want but time will tell exactly what he gets.. one thing is certain , it won’t be a slap on the wrist
Depends what one would deem a slap on the wrist. My guess is that the city will drag this out for as long as possible because there’s more to be gained from the spectacle than the actual trial. In a few years everybody will forget/move on and he’ll get convicted of or plea down to a misdemeanor charge with 3 years probation.

Old 05-19-2023, 07:46 AM

106,611 posts, read 108,757,383 times
we will see …i don’t think that is how it will play out

Old 05-19-2023, 07:54 AM

Quote:
we will see …i don’t think that is how it will play out
You think a jury not made up of all Black NYCers or the wokest of whites will vote to convict this dude of manslaughter for offing a crazed homeless dude who was threatening to kill others? Especially if a 65+ year old senior citizen will testify that she was in fear of her life. If my mother or grandmother was in that car, I’d be grateful this dude offed this lunatic and so would many others. That’s precisely one of the arguments that will be made and it hits close to home for many.

Every time there’s a crazed homeless individual threatening physical violence or just acting insane , I can guarantee you most sane people wish they could snap their fingers and literally make them go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City