Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was the Marine Right or Wrong? Wrong or Right?
Right 52 71.23%
Wrong 10 13.70%
Not sure 11 15.07%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 10:42 AM

34,169 posts, read 47,414,628 times

Advertisements

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 02:06 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,755,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The more I have come to learn about this case, the more I have come down on the side of the former Marine. That said, I haven't voted as I don't think "right" or "wrong" appropriately describes the situation and decision-point in this case. Rather, based on witness statements at the moment, I'm more inclined to note that Perry's behavior was justified and that he should not have been arrested.
The most important part of this is the evidence of how Neely was terrorizing the train car and how multiple people had legitimate fears for their immediate safety.

They say multiple 911 calls came in BEFORE the marine intervened to report Neely. That is EXTREMELY unusual, when I see crazies on the train, even the total wack jobs, nobody is calling 911

Neely must have been making serious threats leading people to genuinely fear for their lives which would necessitate defensive action

Old 05-24-2023, 02:11 PM

1,080 posts, read 558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The more I have come to learn about this case, the more I have come down on the side of the former Marine. That said, I haven't voted as I don't think "right" or "wrong" appropriately describes the situation and decision-point in this case. Rather, based on witness statements at the moment, I'm more inclined to note that Perry's behavior was justified and that he should not have been arrested.
What did you learn that's new - is there anything new from the past 1 to 3 days? I've been out of the loop, not as much news as usual

Old 05-24-2023, 03:41 PM

106,974 posts, read 109,241,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The most important part of this is the evidence of how Neely was terrorizing the train car and how multiple people had legitimate fears for their immediate safety.

They say multiple 911 calls came in BEFORE the marine intervened to report Neely. That is EXTREMELY unusual, when I see crazies on the train, even the total wack jobs, nobody is calling 911

Neely must have been making serious threats leading people to genuinely fear for their lives which would necessitate defensive action
calling 9-11 doesn’t mean you fear for your life . it can just mean you fear a physical altercation or someone putting their hands on you

Old 05-24-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
calling 9-11 doesn’t mean you fear for your life . it can just mean you fear a physical altercation or someone putting their hands on you
Based on how subway riders have been trained and beaten down into accepting crazies on the train in recent years, I would bet 10 out of 10 times that calling 911 in today's climate on the train means a clear and present danger to life

Old 05-24-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Based on how subway riders have been trained and beaten down into accepting crazies on the train in recent years, I would bet 10 out of 10 times that calling 911 in today's climate on the train means a clear and present danger to life
i would bet that most calls from the subway are no different then all the other 911 calls they get , most are frivolous

Old 05-24-2023, 04:10 PM

Quote:
i would bet that most calls from the subway are no different then all the other 911 calls they get , most are frivolous
You honestly believe Penny improperly acted to subdue Neely without just cause?

Old 05-24-2023, 04:31 PM

no , i think he had grounds for physical force , not deadly force.

there was no one at that stage who had deadly force attempted on them nor were any weapons even presented

Old 05-24-2023, 04:39 PM

Quote:
no , i think he had grounds for physical force , not deadly force.

there was no one at that stage who had deadly force attempted on them nor were any weapons even presented
He did not use deadly force. He used a submission hold to reduce blood flow to the brain to make Neely pass out as opposed to a choke hold to the airways which would asphyxiate him. Once Neely stopped struggling, Penny put him in the recovery position to restore blood flow to the brain. We will have to wait for the publication of the toxicology and autopsy reports to have a full picture of what physically happened here.

The other passengers obviously agreed with his actions as they helped him and congratulated him afterwards and all stated that it was an emergency situation. You will not find 12 random people in NYC to convict Penny of anything for defending those people, let alone find a judge who would sentence him to any real time in prison even if somehow they convict him

Daniel Penny is a hero, he doesn't deserve this treatment. Alvin Bragg did not even have the decency to empannel a grand jury. He skipped the whole process and wrote the complaint himself to indict him like a good little Anarcho-Tyranny stooge

Old 05-24-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
He did not use deadly force. He used a submission hold to reduce blood flow to the brain to make Neely pass out as opposed to a choke hold to the airways which would asphyxiate him. Once Neely stopped struggling, Penny put him in the recovery position to restore blood flow to the brain. We will have to wait for the publication of the toxicology and autopsy report to have a full picture of what physically happened here.

The other passengers obviously agreed with his actions as they helped him and congratulated him afterwards. You will not find 12 random people in NYC to convict Penny of any criminal offense, let alone find a judge who would sentence him to any real time in prison even if somehow they convict him
that is considered deadly force if he died …it isnt murder but that is what manslaughter is ..your actions caused the death of someone else whether you meant it or not…

that is why even law enforcement frowns on their use , because they can cause death
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City