Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:31 AM

3 posts, read 14,981 times

Advertisements

It's interesting that Manhattan, a supposedly wealthy and prestigious place, has so many housing projects. I'm not talking about just the ones in harlem and east harlem but the massive housing projects in prime real estate, like the lower east side next to east river, chelsea, lincoln center, and even upper east side. What's even more shocking is that there's luxury condos right next to these projects!

If NYC wants to get to the next level and truly become a great city, it should imitate Chicago's model of urban development, which is the gold standard for all cities. Chicago has destroyed most of the housing projects near prime real estate, such as the infamous cabrini green, which is near gold coast. As a result, Chicago from the south loop all the way north to rogers park, is impeccably clean, safe, and thoroughly gentrified. There's very few homeless people and violent criminals roaming the streets at night.

NYC still has a long way to go, and I wish it the best of luck. The next mayor and the city council should study Chicago's model. After all, there's a reason why Chicago is the favorite to win the 2016 Olympics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 07:33 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,915 times
And where do you want those people to go? You can't just kick people out of their homes, and projects/low income doesn't necessarily equal bad.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 14,981 times
That's an excellent question.

Chicago sent them off to the far south side, where they built decent family homes that they can live in. This is one of the reasons why such a large part of Chicago is clean, safe, and full of luxury condos, upscale restaurants, clubs, bars, and retail.

In Manhattan, you can go from nice condos to the dangerous projects within a few blocks! I mean, look at the projects near lincoln center on west end avenue, as an example. They've built several luxury condos right next to it. I think this is unacceptable, and NYC needs to strive to do better.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:42 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,983,915 times
...and look how the south side turned out. It might look nicer, but everyone knows it's nickname, "Shot-town". The people in the projects tend to not mingle with the outside world, and they stay in their areas.. the projects were there first, so maybe they should be complaining about the condos instead, and if anyone really had a problem with this, then they wouldn't be moving into these condos. They're not cheap, and I'm sure you could find a better location elsewhere if you didn't want to live next to the projects.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:03 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,571,760 times
Default they're all coming out of the woodwork.....

now that the temps are going up.

No, NYC is great precisely because we are not like the Chicago the OP described.

We are a city that recognizes thae value of ALL human beings not just those who accumulated wealth - by honest and/or dishonest means, by hard work, inheritance, or plain luck. We recognize that all our residents have a right to enjoy our metropolis - to wit, we have projects, rent stabilization and rent control, luxury condos, Soho, UES, Forest Hills, Williamsburg, Harlem ,South Jamaica, Flatbush, South Bronx- and they all make NYC different and uniquely more exciting and desirable than the vision expressed by some elitists.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:56 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFinance View Post
It's interesting that Manhattan, a supposedly wealthy and prestigious place, has so many housing projects. I'm not talking about just the ones in harlem and east harlem but the massive housing projects in prime real estate, like the lower east side next to east river, chelsea, lincoln center, and even upper east side. What's even more shocking is that there's luxury condos right next to these projects!
Yes, the projects have to go.

Replace them with affordable housing for working people who make NYC run: cops, teachers, firefighters, transit workers, etc.

Project dwellers just hang out in the projects all day. It makes no difference to them if they're in Manhattan or the Rockaways.

Unfortunately, if the projects are ever moved, they'll be replaced with luxury condos.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:10 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rock View Post
Yes, the projects have to go.

Replace them with affordable housing for working people who make NYC run: cops, teachers, firefighters, transit workers, etc.

Project dwellers just hang out in the projects all day. It makes no difference to them if they're in Manhattan or the Rockaways.

Unfortunately, if the projects are ever moved, they'll be replaced with luxury condos.

Ace you can't have it both ways. You are anti-gentrification and yet you for tearing down the projects. So the working, middle to upper middle can push out the lower class, but the upper class pushing out the middle class should not be allowed??It is all about someone moving in that can afford more than someone else, what is the difference? Since you like middle class people more, they should get special treatment?

Old 08-07-2008, 09:15 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,595,578 times
ChicagoFinance, I sincerely hope you get your wish for Chicago to get the 2016 Olympics. First off, New York City doesn't need the Olympics--some city that needs the promotion ought to have them! And second, think twice before you make a wish like that: Montreal has still not fully paid off their debt from the 1976 Games. Why any city would actually want the Olympics is beyond reason.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:16 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,016 times
NYC realized that putting up large sections of pj's, creates PJ cities full of people that are isolated from the rest of the city and this creates a lot of social ills.

Placing smaller pj's in different sections of Manhattan and other boros works out ok. There is less crime and people are not isolated. They are usually near descent schools, libraries, supermarkets, transportation etc. Also most of these people work but don't make enough to live in better sections. Some are disabled and need to be near hospitals and transportation.

I don't know what the actual statistics are of people that stay in pj's for 2, 3, or even 4 generations. Over the years I have met many people that grew up in projects, got a good education, got a good job, and were able to move out of the pj's, and so have all their siblings. I would like to know what the actual statistics are on this. I think what we see more of, is that as one family moves out, there is always another to replace them.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:30 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
NYC realized that putting up large sections of pj's, creates PJ cities full of people that are isolated from the rest of the city and this creates a lot of social ills.

Placing smaller pj's in different sections of Manhattan and other boros works out ok. There is less crime and people are not isolated. They are usually near descent schools, libraries, supermarkets, transportation etc. Also most of these people work but don't make enough to live in better sections. Some are disabled and need to be near hospitals and transportation.

I don't know what the actual statistics are of people that stay in pj's for 2, 3, or even 4 generations. Over the years I have met many people that grew up in projects, got a good education, got a good job, and were able to move out of the pj's, and so have all their siblings. I would like to know what the actual statistics are on this. I think what we see more of, is that as one family moves out, there is always another to replace them.

Exactly Das. Integrating people of different incomes = less crime. Moving all projects to the Bronx would just create a nightmare for those people and for the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City