Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,044,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Lets put it in perspective most of the bxs so called worst neighborhoods are not even that bad to begin with. Brooklyn has way more hoods than the bronx, u open up a newspaper and look at the nypd section, most of the crime comes out of brooklyn. Theres no comparison. The only part of the bronx thats bad is the south bronx. Theres alot more to the X than south bronx
Umm and? Queens also appears more times in the crime blotter than the Bronx. The answer is a simple one, THE BRONX IS THE 2nd SMALLEST BOROUGH.

BK: 2,527,010

BX: 1,372,304

Man BK has almost twice the population as the Bronx which is why it appears that "more crime" happens there. In reality, when you take population into account, Brooklyn is pretty safe.

And your definition of hood is tough. So I guess that Morris Heights, Tremont, East Tremont, University Heights, Morris Heights, West Farms, Soundview, Fordham and Fordham-Bedford aint the hood.

I was on E 194th st in Fordham-Bedford ....not the south Bronx in any interpretation and let me tell you it was very intimidating. These are dangerous streets, enough so that I fear for my life. And definitely as bad or even worse than anything you find in the south Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 09:40 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,913,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
It's pretty easy to avoid the bad neighborhoods in Brooklyn. It's not so easy to avoid the bad ones in The Bronx.
Exactly. Brooklyn has plenty of nice neighborhoods. Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge, Greenpoint, Park Slope, Sheepshead Bay, Marine Park, Brooklyn Heights etc. What does the Bronx have? Riverdale, thats it?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:41 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,463 times
This is a copy from my post on //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-states-9.html

On the list its the South Bronx its basically an open air crime market, Drugs are everywhere and plentyfull, Homicides are a weekly routine, Shootings occur multiple times weekly, Stabbings occur multiple times weekly, Robberies occur multiple times daily, Its very dense, loud, chaotic......and its not even the worse part of the city. Its kinda sad to because young people come to the city with the "safest big city" garbage in their mind and their usually the victims of crime and in one story a woman was moving into the south bronx against her mothers wishes and she was robbed then killed the day she moved in and she was moving into a gentrified house in a BAD area and her mother said she was against it because she knew the area was bad but her daughter thought since she bought a mega expensive house the area was crime free and this is what happened............(sigh) enough lies King Bloomberg

Old 05-03-2009, 10:15 PM

75 posts, read 562,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Umm and? Queens also appears more times in the crime blotter than the Bronx. The answer is a simple one, THE BRONX IS THE 2nd SMALLEST BOROUGH.

BK: 2,527,010

BX: 1,372,304

Man BK has almost twice the population as the Bronx which is why it appears that "more crime" happens there. In reality, when you take population into account, Brooklyn is pretty safe.

And your definition of hood is tough. So I guess that Morris Heights, Tremont, East Tremont, University Heights, Morris Heights, West Farms, Soundview, Fordham and Fordham-Bedford aint the hood.

I was on E 194th st in Fordham-Bedford ....not the south Bronx in any interpretation and let me tell you it was very intimidating. These are dangerous streets, enough so that I fear for my life. And definitely as bad or even worse than anything you find in the south Bronx.
Thank You. South Bronx is definately not the only bad area in the Bronx. Most of it is bad these days, it's sad because it was once an awesome place to live (my dad grew up there). The only trace of those good old days is basically Morris Park, Throggs Neck and Riverdale. BK is safer guys!

Old 05-04-2009, 01:56 AM

34,044 posts, read 47,260,557 times
hmmm interesting thread...

now what do u guys think is worse? the worst neighborhood in brooklyn (brownsville) or the worst neighborhood in the bronx ((i think its morrissania but u guys can put in your opinion)?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 AM
ako

140 posts, read 337,631 times
Wow..

When you guys talk about 'safety', what are you guys talking about specifically? Safety as in your house might be broken into during the night or you might get shot in the street?

I always knew there was lots of crime in some areas, but how serious does it actually get?

Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,671,775 times
I've lived in both. But I'll say this......I stopped arguing on this topic AFTER HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:25 AM

576 posts, read 1,596,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I've lived in both. But I'll say this......I stopped arguing on this topic AFTER HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!
Hahaha, exactly what I was thinking.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:00 AM

674 posts, read 1,813,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
hmmm interesting thread...

now what do u guys think is worse? the worst neighborhood in brooklyn (brownsville) or the worst neighborhood in the bronx ((i think its morrissania but u guys can put in your opinion)?

In terms of crime I would go with Brownsville/ENY and in terms of quality of life its Morissania. Although the crime in the Brownsville/ENY is BAD Morissania's crime situation is not much better and Morissania is obviously worse in terms of quality of life so the worse neighborhood overal I think is Morissania.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:35 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,167 times
To those responding to my post about Newark, I should have said NY metro area. Just becuase it isn't within city limits doesn't mean it doesn't add to NY's flavor.

Anyway, there is a couple of other pockets I think could all vie for "pretty Bad":

-Far Rockaway
-South Jamaica
-Central Harlem in the 130s/140s
-Newburgh, NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City