Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 08:21 AM

810 posts, read 837,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
you're telling me that the reason why a poor caucasian person who loves life, chooses to live in a semi-expensive, gritty, dirty neighborhood thats is still rampant with crime is because its... the only affordable place to live??? somewhere along the line that statement just doesnt make sense to me.
I already answered that before. The first hipster pioneers moved into hood areas for the WEEEED, and then their hangers on followed them to those places. Moderator cut: Personal attack

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-04-2010 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 10-01-2010, 08:55 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned comment
And @ sobroguy seeing as how you couldn't provide an answer to my question and you just tried to belittle it, im gonna take that as you conceeding to the fact that it honestly makes no sense as well. You can fight what Im saying till youre blue in the face and by all means do so but my thing is, im not here to convince people that where they live at is good when I know its not, im not here as a real-estate agent claiming that areas from Bushwick to Bed-stuy are safe now to even comments about how is East NY on the rise in certain threads in this site. What I am here to do is speak the truth and i'll taylor my message for the moment. NYC is not a utopia, NYC is not a hellhole. If you have people saying either case I'll be the first to take the opposing viewpoint. NYC is somewhere in between all of that and if you actually read what im saying and not look to disect it or find flaws you'll understand that there are no motivations behind what im saying, im just out here telling it like it is, and if those who want to convince people of otherwise get mad at me for ruining a plan or whatever the reason may be then so be it.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-04-2010 at 11:58 AM..

Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 AM

160 posts, read 1,679,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGED View Post
You talk about gentrification as if it is a disease when, rather it is a sociological phenomenon that attributes to young white people (yuppie/hipster) or young black people (buppie) who have come from families that are well-to-do or wealthy to help restore the housing stock in a neighborhood or city, which will, in turn, attract new businesses that are aimed at the upper-middle class to upper class. When you say, "unless of course you believe building housing projects and poor people of color flooding white neighborhoods is a cause of gentrification?" I believe you are talking about White Flight from neighborhoods because that's what that was back in the 60's and 70's. Gentrification relates to the wealthy and an economically focused way of life.
When did I say that white people can't move where they want to? This segregation you are talking about is a side-effect of the capitalist society that we live in.
Brooklyn has undergone gentrification a lot more than the Bronx. I am talking about large-scale gentrification. Pent-house condominiums, skyrocketing housing prices, and above all, a significant decrease in crime in some areas. The sub-culture of the hipster has taken over certain parts of Brooklyn. The mothership is based in Williamsburg. From there, this hipster phenomenon will expand further north to all over Greenpoint and further east towards Bushwick. Bushwick has only felt the echo of Williamsburg's gentrification.
excuse the Moderator cut: Implied explicit language out of most of us for not wanting to help support the upper classes. I guess were not republican enough. The way I see it, the upper class is the smallest class and we shouldn't be over here helping them get us out of our neighborhoods. You really wanna help the neighborhood? Create higher paying jobs. Create jobs period. Actively work to get young men off the streets and into payed programs that focus on their strengths. But dont go around acting like moving rich people into the area is best, because that is just damn selfish. In case you haven't noticed, crime has been down (despite nypd playin with the numbers). You dont need penthouses and rich people to make a neighborhood safe you know. Gentrification is some Moderator cut: Implied explicit language.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-04-2010 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Languge

Old 10-01-2010, 09:39 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Anon you are not telling it like it is..you are telling it how you see it...there is a big difference. I think we can both agree that NYC is not utopia and not a hell hole, and any reasonable person knows this. I am not dissecting your statements, I am countering clear falsehoods and stereotypes...which is what everyone should be doing.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:50 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times
@ Sobroguy Okay... so specifically regarding my last statement and my last statement only where is what I am saying a clear falsehood. I'll give you maybe its a stereotype that places like Bushwick and Bedstuy remain bad because of public's lingering perception but you know what unfortunately they are stereotypes for a reason. Bushwick is still ranked as one of the top 10 worst neighborhoods in NYC and Bedstuy's precints are right there as well. So i ask you again where in my last statement is anything I said a (note the word) "CLEAR" (meaning beyond a reasonable doubt) falsehood and then explain to me how it really is then.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:37 AM

556 posts, read 1,446,094 times
Can we please talk about crime?

I dont care about the people moving in, unless there are crimes being committed, this is a crimethread so stop rehashing the same things over and over.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:44 AM

True dat Westbury..thanks for the reminder. Speaking of crime...in good 'ol Mott Haven, I was walking off the train and greeted with 25 cop cars racing to the center of the block, 70 cops, and some poor dude trying to run for his life. Dunno what went down..but it was quite a scene. It was over in about 5 minutes, but I don't understand why soooo many cops were there.The actual arrest was uneventful...a gun must have been involved in some way.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Default Homicides

What's with the recent spate of murders recently in the city?

There was a murder a couple blocks from these 2 this morning.

two men found dead in SUV this morning
Two Men Found Dead in SUV With Gunshot Wounds to the Head in Gramercy - DNAinfo.com

and the other night in harlem with the 2 people being shot (17 yo girl)

Old 10-04-2010, 08:20 AM

160 posts, read 1,679,338 times
its....new york.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:22 AM

This is nothing new...you must not be familiar much with NYC. There was a time not long ago where that would be a slow day. I believe we had about 2,400 murders in 1993, which breaks down to about 7 murders a day (rounded from 6.5). We are now averaging about 1.3 murders a day..and 70% of these murders are directly drug related.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City