Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 PM

335 posts, read 747,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kochise View Post
a few questions for all the newly appointed sanmen: how is driving the trucks, spreaders, etc.? do you get the hang of it quickly or does it take a while to get used to them? and how do you learn the different routes, do they give you maps? any other feedback on what's been the most difficult parts of starting this job (other than the schedule and long hours due to the snow).
thanks and be safe out there.

ummm... the hardest part really was the brutal cold weather in FBF... it was like 15 degrees in the city but in FBF it was like 5 to 0 degrees because your right next to the water plus the wind. Many of us were freezing our butt off... no matter how many layers you had on you were freezing.

With driving the trucks you get the hang of it quickly... I never drove trucks in my life but i am getting comfortable... But I am always aware and not cocky... esp since I am under probation. Its easy to drive the collection trucks compared to the cut downs. Its to the point that when I get in a cut down I forget how to drive it because I am so used to driving without having the hood in front of me. Making turns on it is pretty good too.... even if you find yourself coming too wide or too close you can make adjustments on the spot better compared to a cut down... spreaders are like collection trucks ...but I find it a bit easier than a collection truck. They are supposed to give you a map but most of the time they just verbally try to tell you where to go... routes are easy to read once you find your starting point...usually the streets are together.... like Start at A st and from Z ave to O ave ---- O ave from A st to U st.... U st. from O ave to Z ave.... etc etc...

Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 AM

192 posts, read 401,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FULLTRUCK View Post
Anywhere from $250-$450 an hour. It depends on the size of their bucket, for the front end loaders. They have a lot of insurance, maintenance, fuel, and pay for the drivers as overhead. You could buy 4 skid steers for the price of one haulster and we could do it ourselves.
The Bobcats are getting $130 an hour I heard.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 AM

136 posts, read 267,736 times
When are you guys done at FBF and start at ur districts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon7280 View Post
ummm... the hardest part really was the brutal cold weather in FBF... it was like 15 degrees in the city but in FBF it was like 5 to 0 degrees because your right next to the water plus the wind. Many of us were freezing our butt off... no matter how many layers you had on you were freezing.

With driving the trucks you get the hang of it quickly... I never drove trucks in my life but i am getting comfortable... But I am always aware and not cocky... esp since I am under probation. Its easy to drive the collection trucks compared to the cut downs. Its to the point that when I get in a cut down I forget how to drive it because I am so used to driving without having the hood in front of me. Making turns on it is pretty good too.... even if you find yourself coming too wide or too close you can make adjustments on the spot better compared to a cut down... spreaders are like collection trucks ...but I find it a bit easier than a collection truck. They are supposed to give you a map but most of the time they just verbally try to tell you where to go... routes are easy to read once you find your starting point...usually the streets are together.... like Start at A st and from Z ave to O ave ---- O ave from A st to U st.... U st. from O ave to Z ave.... etc etc...

Old 01-22-2011, 09:32 PM

58 posts, read 106,398 times
In the spring some time cuz with all these snow storms we won't stop working!!!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:50 AM

65 posts, read 139,901 times
hope you guys are all making big $now moneyyyyy. maybe some senior guys will retire after winter?? LOL a guy can hope, im # 15xx so hopefully I can join you guys sooner rather than later.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 AM

49 posts, read 83,041 times
The sooner the better !

Congrats to all new hires ..

Old 01-29-2011, 06:48 PM

191 posts, read 874,120 times
City buries strip club in snow - NYPOST.com=

oh boy,the city needs to hire more sanman!this is the greatest city in the world,things like this should not happen!!if this is not proof enough i dont know what is!

Old 01-29-2011, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,354 times
hey san men on the job im new to the thread and i am curious to know if there's any news on hiring any new san men or a class here in 2011 ? i've been "patiently" waiting since 06 but nothing more than the physical :-(

Old 01-30-2011, 11:49 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,063,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san man X View Post
hey san men on the job im new to the thread and i am curious to know if there's any news on hiring any new san men or a class here in 2011 ? i've been "patiently" waiting since 06 but nothing more than the physical :-(
06? What list are you from? 2052 or 6063?
what is your list number? The current list
(6063) was established on Feb/08. The previous
list(2052) expired a long time ago.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,354 times
i am on exam 6063 with list number 55xx. i took the physical got my CDL and nothing. i am aware that my list number is pretty high so i dont know what my chances are to get in especially with the budget and layoffs but maybe you guys can offer some insight since your already on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City