Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for legalizing prostitution in NYC?
Yes 59 79.73%
No 15 20.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 12:26 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I hope they regulate this tightly. Not only the prostitutes, but the clients too. Clients should be required to take health screening right before transaction. Kind of like how combat sports athletes do before bouts, or at least intermittently.
Only if the same tests are performed on promiscuous individuals....

While I do understand the intent, I would not support the government intrusion on the private affairs between consenting adults.

There are many non-prostitutes people who sleep with one person to another and engage in risky behavior..... Conversely, many prostitutes behave as a business with that themselves as their greatest asset.. thus protection/safety for individual and business reasons are important.

Of course there are the low street drug addicted types looking for an easy fix and willing to risk their lives for such.... but let's not extend that generalization to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 02:10 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I hope they regulate this tightly. Not only the prostitutes, but the clients too. Clients should be required to take health screening right before transaction. Kind of like how combat sports athletes do before bouts, or at least intermittently.
Of course they cannot regulate this, or require clients to take testing.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:14 PM

What this forum does not want to accept is that it costs 337,000 a year to incarcerate someone. Prostitutes are generally women and gay men and not violent.

So why arrested women and gay men for non-violent crimes, when many are crying like helpless old ladies at the prospect of violent crime?

Just like cash bail was ended, prostitution will be decriminalized. It really was a war against poor people.

Say someone loses their job. They have a hard time finding another one.

Anything they could do to easily make money to pay the rent, such as rent parties, operating a hair salon in one´s home, prostitution, drug dealing, are all illegal. This is just a war against poor, thank god for the hard left that has taken over the Democratic party, who I am proudly voting for via absentee ballot.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:23 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
No thanks. It’ll be STD galore out there.
Prostitution is illegal and STD rates are skyrocketing among the standard population. (Talking your standard Gonorrhea/Chlaymdia which are fully preventable with condom usage)

Your logic fails the test....

In Asia, where prostitution has been quasi-legal for decades, STD rates have continued to drop....

I know this was my undergrad thesis subject but please don't tell me this is the limited extent of your belief/knowledge into the subject....

Old 02-11-2020, 02:26 PM

Having a public healthcare system where people regularly get tests for all sorts of diseases and get treatment if they need them would help STDs go down tremendously.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:31 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Having a public healthcare system where people regularly get tests for all sorts of diseases and get treatment if they need them would help STDs go down tremendously.
https://www.thelocal.es/20190613/spa...std-rates-soar

Old 02-11-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
That doesn´t contradict what I said. The treatments for STDs would be free or nearly free here, like any other medication.

The countries with little to no access to healthcare have much higher mortality rates from STDs, including HIV. Most STDs are curable.

And some are preventable via vaccination. Hepatitis A, B, some forms of HPV. Research is ongoing on HIV vaccines, and meanwhile Prep is used to prevent spread. Ultimately it takes modern medicine to stop any epidemic, whether sexually transmitted or transmitted through the air like the coronavirus.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:53 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,957,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What this forum does not want to accept is that it costs 337,000 a year to incarcerate someone. Prostitutes are generally women and gay men and not violent.

So why arrested women and gay men for non-violent crimes, when many are crying like helpless old ladies at the prospect of violent crime?
I agree with what you are saying here and I am a Republican. If I were still living in NYC, I wouldn't want to spend $337k to put some woman or gay man in jail for a non-violent crime. Our priorities should be to crack down on violent criminals.

Besides they don't call it the worlds oldest profession for nothing.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:57 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
I added a poll to the thread, cast your vote

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-11-2020, 03:10 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I agree with what you are saying here and I am a Republican. If I were still living in NYC, I wouldn't want to spend $337k to put some woman or gay man in jail for a non-violent crime. Our priorities should be to crack down on violent criminals.

Besides they don't call it the worlds oldest profession for nothing.
The problem is, Americans feel obligated and entitled to interfere and govern over other Americans sexual and financial choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York