Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you for legalizing prostitution in NYC?
Yes 59 79.73%
No 15 20.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 03:36 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I agree with what you are saying here and I am a Republican. If I were still living in NYC, I wouldn't want to spend $337k to put some woman or gay man in jail for a non-violent crime. Our priorities should be to crack down on violent criminals.

Besides they don't call it the worlds oldest profession for nothing.
A lot of conservatives are in favor of legal prostitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 07:00 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,260,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
That doesn´t contradict what I said. The treatments for STDs would be free or nearly free here, like any other medication.

The countries with little to no access to healthcare have much higher mortality rates from STDs, including HIV. Most STDs are curable.

And some are preventable via vaccination. Hepatitis A, B, some forms of HPV. Research is ongoing on HIV vaccines, and meanwhile Prep is used to prevent spread. Ultimately it takes modern medicine to stop any epidemic, whether sexually transmitted or transmitted through the air like the coronavirus.
You said that a public health system would enable testing which would result in STDs going down. Spain has an excellent public health system, yet STDs are increasing?

Back to the topic at hand, it should be legalized, monitored and taxed.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You said that a public health system would enable testing which would result in STDs going down. Spain has an excellent public health system, yet STDs are increasing?

Back to the topic at hand, it should be legalized, monitored and taxed.
https://onlinedoctor.superdrug.com/std-us-eu/

European stats are genera better than American stats. So yes, I stand.

There’s no way to really monitor prostitution. Dating is prostitution if one party has to pay for the other party all the time. Marriage is a form of legalized prostitution.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:48 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
A lot of conservatives are in favor of legal prostitution.
A lot in both parties... But the issue is most politicians are not willing to risk their career for that cause. As a previous post said, there will always be a base of voters that feel entitled to tell others how they should live and what they should do in private. In particular the evangelical right which one party in particular relies on.

It is a social stigma that is very much alive even in modern America. A prostitutes greatest asset that needs to be protected is their anonymity.... this is true for good reason. Same goes for politicians' stance on legalization of prostitution.... they don't want to risk loosing political standing by being associated with such a cause.

The few conservatives I know that support legalization mainly do for financial and resource priorities... they are willing to tolerate it for those reasons... even they themselves think it is wrong. Example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I agree with what you are saying here and I am a Republican. If I were still living in NYC, I wouldn't want to spend $337k to put some woman or gay man in jail for a non-violent crime. Our priorities should be to crack down on violent criminals.

Besides they don't call it the worlds oldest profession for nothing.
Others simply don't believe that government has any right to intrude on the private affairs of two consenting adults. I would it take it further by saying it makes prostitutes targets for victimization since they operate outside the legal protections that the rest of us are privy too... they are indeed second class citizens.

I do think that both sides should work together on this issue.... I believe that the only real way to sell legalization to the general public is convincing them that there are better ways to spend their tax dollars. There is no way to sell it to the general public based only on the premise that it is violating individuals' privacy. In the end, they don't care... as long as they still get to tell other's how they should live.

Last edited by usayit; 02-12-2020 at 02:07 AM..

Old 02-12-2020, 09:45 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Marriage is a form of legalized prostitution.
Make sure not to say this out loud in public spaces

Just vote and act accordingly as most people have already silently done regarding marriage

Old 02-12-2020, 11:10 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
What you call "legit" is $100+ massage. If you want a cheap massage you go to an Asian place and they work late. Been to plenty with zero funny business involved
Care to recommend one such place? I like to know where I can get cheap massage work with no funny business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Only if the same tests are performed on promiscuous individuals....

While I do understand the intent, I would not support the government intrusion on the private affairs between consenting adults.

There are many non-prostitutes people who sleep with one person to another and engage in risky behavior..... Conversely, many prostitutes behave as a business with that themselves as their greatest asset.. thus protection/safety for individual and business reasons are important.

Of course there are the low street drug addicted types looking for an easy fix and willing to risk their lives for such.... but let's not extend that generalization to everyone.
Govt already interferes in a lot of things. Prostitution is one of those things that threads the needle so to speak. In order to protect all those involved, they need regulations.

Think of prostitution like prescription drugs. You can only get them with a doctors prescription. The Pharmacy love to sell you, but they need approval first. A pharmacy also needs to be licensed. A prostitute love your business, but must be licensed, and can only sell to screened clients.

Quote:
Of course they cannot regulate this, or require clients to take testing.
If Govt can infringe on 2A then surely they can. They can easily set up the equivalent red tape for any number of anything.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:25 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,892 times
Donald Trump and lots of other wealthy/powerful people bought their wives and plenty of prostitutes. Why shouldn't the common man have the same right without fear of prosecution?

Old 02-13-2020, 07:19 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,187,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Pimping and pandering are illegal in some countries that have some level of legalized prostitution.

Of course pimping won't go away but it shouldn't be legally promoted either. They should be treated as harshly as human traffickers.

Pimping is also illegal in Nevada and only exists where prostitution is illegal like Las Vegas and Reno. The brothel proprietors charge fees for rent and services. Sex workers are considered independent contractors.

In my previous post (#4) I stated that there is only one legal brothel left in Ely. I stand corrected. Apparently the Stardust Brothel has reopened.

Ely is a city of many churches and they have co-existed with brothels for a long time.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:51 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Care to recommend one such place? I like to know where I can get cheap massage work with no funny business.
Have you people never heard of Yelp????

Old 02-13-2020, 05:45 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Govt already interferes in a lot of things. Prostitution is one of those things that threads the needle so to speak. In order to protect all those involved, they need regulations.
You are basically saying that private sexual relations between consenting adults should be regulated... I don't think people need to be protected from sex.

Yes.. Government already interferes in a lot of things.. doesn't mean we should hand over even more freedoms...

Your analogy to prescription drugs is a failure. The SCOTUS has ruled that the Right to Privacy is implied by several Amendments of the Constitution. I don't think many would argue that sex is a private matter.

Selling is legal
F****** is legal
So why is it Selling F****** illegal?

- George Carlin RIP.

Last edited by usayit; 02-13-2020 at 06:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York