Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
There's no reason to be rude. Of course it's a free country and the man can come and go all he wants. The OP just noticed something about his neighbor and decided to post about it on here. Good grief! I don't get why everyone has jumped on him for this. What's the big deal? As I posted earlier, I have a retired neighbor that comes and goes all day long. Since I work from home a lot, I can't help but see this and wonder where the hell he goes. Do I care? No. Does it keep me up at night? Again no. But I do notice it and I do wonder about it when I see it. I don't see anything wrong with that and I certainly don't think that makes me a nosy neighbor.
That's a strange thing to wonder about though, especially since it's during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,213,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's a strange thing to wonder about though, especially since it's during the day.
Why would it be strange for me to notice my neighbor go and come a lot during the day while I'm working in my home office (I bet it's anywhere from 6 - 8 times daily ) and then wonder where he goes? To me it is perfectly natual to wonder about things that strike you as being odd or out of the ordinary.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:33 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I often wonder what my neighbors think about my house. I have 2 guys (22 and 25) living here who are part time workers/part time college students and so are most of their friends. My place is where they hang out after they get off work (usually a night shift somewhere) and it's not unusual for 2-5 people to be come over after 9pm and not leave until 2-3am. Some of them don't drive so even if there is only one person here my son might have to drive them home at 1am then come back. They often makes after midnight runs to Jack in the Box or the 24 hour grocery store to pick up snacks. It might look weird to anyone watching. They aren't loud but just the cars coming and going at those hours might seem odd.

They play games. All sorts of crazy, nerdy games.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:39 PM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I often wonder what my neighbors think about my house. I have 2 guys (22 and 25) living here who are part time workers/part time college students and so are most of their friends. My place is where they hang out after they get off work (usually a night shift somewhere) and it's not unusual for 2-5 people to be come over after 9pm and not leave until 2-3am. Some of them don't drive so even if there is only one person here my son might have to drive them home at 1am then come back. They often makes after midnight runs to Jack in the Box or the 24 hour grocery store to pick up snacks. It might look weird to anyone watching. They aren't loud but just the cars coming and going at those hours might seem odd.

They play games. All sorts of crazy, nerdy games.
Yeah the op would think the same thing about my son. He is a College Student. And very nocturnal.
When he does work as a contractor (Computer Tech) for businesses - he works third shift hours.
And goes to class during days. And plays all kind of crazy computer games at weird hours of nights, etc.

The OP would probably think my son was a hitman, or drug dealer - when he is actually a self proclaimed Geek - and also an Honors student.

The neighbor man probably has some good reasons for whatever he is doing. I wouldn't worry about it.
It's probably nothing sinister at all.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:15 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
After 9/11 we were all told to be aware of our surroundings. Be more intuitive to what is going on.
The nosey neighbor talk went out the door.
I think most people would know if it was college students. Plus, that is what college students do, and we're all aware.

Remember the people who gave the terrorist money from a Western Union or something simular. The one girl felt that something was strange.

I remember seeing a small plane flying above NYC a week before the strike on the towers. I kept saying "why are they flying over the city? Flying ended in the city when the one plane hit the Empire State Building years ago." ( 1936?)
Was that what we heard in the news...the terrorist practiced their flights?

My point is we need to pay attention to our intuitions. Even if it is your neighborhood. You don't want to wake up one day to find out your neighbor was one of these, ( outlaws, perverts, serial killers, drug lords, dealers, etc.)

In this day and age. We need to keep our eyes wide open and know our surroundings. I don't blame the OP at all for wondering. Not one bit.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:16 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,370,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
After 9/11 we were all told to be aware of our surroundings. Be more intuitive to what is going on.
I think most people would know if it was college students. Plus, that is what college students do, and we're all aware.

Remember the people who gave the terrorist money from a Western Union or something simular. The one girl felt that something was strange.

I remember seeing a small plane flying above NYC a week before the strike on the towers. I kept saying "why are they flying over the city? Flying ended in the city when the one plane hit the Empire State Building years ago." ( 1936?)

My point is we need to pay attention to our intuitions. Even if it is your neighborhood. You don't want to wake up one day to find out your neighbor was one of these, ( outlaws, perverts, serial killers, drug lords, dealers, etc.)

In this day and age. We need to keep our eyes wide open and know our surroundings. I don't blame the OP at all for wondering. Not one bit.
9/11 is not an excuse to harass people.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Not in my world. I woke up to find 10 police and a police dog in my street because a nosy neighbor called the police because he saw a former homeowner going into a foreclosure to get his personal belongings. My neighbors and I gave that nosey neighbor hell. Talk about kicking someone when he's down. That crap doesn't fly around here. The former homeowner wasn't bothering anyone. But 10 police and a dog were certainly bothersome! If you're going to report something to the police, it better be noteworthy. The comings and goings of a neighbor registers on the mundane.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:01 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,543,351 times
Sorry - but seeing that someone comes and goes alot and then immediately assuming it is for nefarious reasons (notice - the OP does seem to be assuming it is for BAD reasons, not happy reasons like working with meals on wheels as a volunteer) - is not excused by "increased vigilance".

If you see a Uhaul carrying huge bags of fertilizer and petroleum parked near a landmark at 5am, by all means - let someone know.

But if your neighbor, who you do not have a relationship with and have no reason to suspect is doing anything improper leads a busy life and comes and goes alot - find something else to be so interested in. Perhaps the cultivation of bonsai?

Old 09-13-2012, 07:29 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I say MYOB, you do have nerve.

get a life.

if your neighbor is not a menace to the neighborhood, than do something better with your life then worry about what he does.

I live in an apartment building, people come and go all day and night, people have different lives. As long as no one is causing disturbances or setting the building on fire, I don't give a rats ass what they do, it isn't my business.

Again, living in an apartment building and leading a very "pedestrian" life, I come home from work, change clothes run right back out, do errands, bring stuff home, go back out, bring more stuff home, as I can't carry everything, run back out go to laundromat, these are things you have to do....

I couldn't imagine anyone even being interested in my comings and goings, hell, I am not even interested...

Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:

No. Justification of THIS attitude towards our fellow citizens is, to be blunt, one of the ways that the terrorists won on 9/11. They didn't have to do another strike; they're getting us to do it to ourselves, changing the way we view each other, with suspicion rather than as our neighbors. Don't encourage that kind of thinking that, for MOST of us (though not the nosy neighbors, obviously), is contrary to what our country stands for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships