Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 02:09 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,616,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Myth! And yeah everything I need in life I get from Wiki. Tryptophan in turkey doesn't make people sleepy. There's not nearly enough of it for it to make you sleepy. Unless you're a weirdo eating dozens of turkeys.....then you've got other problems.
If you read the article you'll see it's the carbs, not so much the turkey. Turkey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 03:40 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,658,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
If you read the article you'll see it's the carbs, not so much the turkey. Turkey.
Again, I don't get my science from Wiki!

Old 11-17-2014, 03:58 PM

378 posts, read 1,064,902 times
Doesn't affect me at all because I do NO holiday shopping.. I do not understand the reasoning behind this shopping frenzy either...Just have a nice dinner with family if you want and that is it. I have always looked at shopping as a chore likened to picking up the dog turds in the front yard, an unfortunate somewhat unpleasant necessary task. Its difficult to comprehend that people actually look forward to it.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:06 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,296,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
Last Thanksgiving the conversation was going pretty well on Thanksgiving but mid afternoon the younger people started to get restless. They kept looking at the time and started to talk about leaving the house around 5PM so they could be first in line when the stores opened at 6PM at the local shopping mall.

Our original plan was to have our formal Thanksgiving dinner at 5 PM but many family members were angry about this because all the stores would be opening then. They wanted to move dinner to 4 PM instead. After many tears, and lots of shouting, finally Grandma approved the changed time. By 4:30 we were just getting into the conversation and a group of people announced they wanted to leave immediately so they could get in line at Best Buy.

There went our glorious Turkey Thanksgiving Dinner. Can you relate? (The stores are opening up even an hour earlier this year!)
No, we shop online. You get exactly what you want at a good price and delivered to your home without the hassles. We find going to the store a waste of time and has no real benefits.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:43 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,075,090 times
I won't shop on Thanksgiving or Black Friday. Don't want to participate in the madness. When I was a kid I remember mom complaining about having to serve dinner at half-time. So I guess there is always something. But back then, everything was closed on Thanksgiving.

Probably the real Thanksgiving in this scenario is the retailers crowing about finding another sales day before Christmas. In a few years being open on Thanksgiving will be seen as normal. And then they will take Christmas away from us. At first it will only be opening at 1 or 2 on Christmas Day. Then it will be extended hours and Christmas Day Sales. Won't be long before retail has zero holidays. Just the way they want it.

Extra pay? Is that a joke? The vast majority of people being forced to work retail on the holiday get nothing extra. Most retail workers are part time because the business owners do not want to pay benefits. All these folks already have zero vacation, zero PTO, and soon zero holidays. HMMMMM I wonder how long it will be before people realize they no longer have so much to celebrate and quit buying all those gifts?

It's that pesky Law of Unintended Consequences.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:52 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,882,084 times
Nobody in my family would care to go shopping on Thanksgiving. Are the deals that amazing?

Old 11-17-2014, 05:18 PM

7,084 posts, read 8,969,618 times
Stores opening on Thanksgiving will stop when people stop shopping on Thanksgiving, when stores lose money on that day it will keep their doors shut. The Black Friday deals are not that great either, the TV prices at K-Mart were previously offered at another sale, the best TV deals come after the Super Bowl.

People shop on Black Friday only because they think they are getting the deal of a lifetime, but the reality does not match the hype and the retailers hope you never catch on.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:18 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,944,124 times
We always have a late afternoon dinner (like for the last 40 years), but last year we had to all gather much earlier. Reason: My brother was working at Starbucks and had to be at the store to open. I believe they had a 3 a.m. start time.

I will not shop on Thursday/Friday or anytime through that weekend. I normally volunteer to work more/extra so my Black Friday-loving coworkers can have off.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:27 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,417,617 times
Default Absolutely not

I think it's absurd for people to even think about shopping on Thanksgiving Day. Just reeks of low quality family time and seems to be a reflection of some serious problems within the family. The outside world is dead to my family on that day. That's how much we enjoy being together.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:37 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,287,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I think it's absurd for people to even think about shopping on Thanksgiving Day. Just reeks of low quality family time and seems to be a reflection of some serious problems within the family. The outside world is dead to my family on that day. That's how much we enjoy being together.
That's wonderful for you. Not everyone wants to spend that much time with their family. Sure, maybe it's a reflection of serious problems, but it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships