Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2022, 01:44 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Joe, y'all this Western female was informed is plural, a TX female informed me. Does one say you for singular ? Thinking grits, haven't had breakfast yet !

Now, back to missing Posters !
Haha! I think I use y'all interchangeably sometimes, singular or plural. Being from the south, it's just a word I always heard and used. I did for a time try to stop saying it because it's part of the southern stereotype but finally gave up and eventually embraced it.

Old 04-07-2022, 03:46 PM

928 posts, read 500,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I think maybe that's up to the moderator...as far as getting an explanation.

I've been put on time out a couple 2 or 3 times, and I was told why.
It's pretty uneven policing. That's all I'll say.

Old 04-07-2022, 06:25 PM

88,622 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Mighty-not to get off topic here but when I've been put on time out I can't email any mod at all to figure out what even happened. Am I wrong about this?

I miss greatblueherron too
I don't know why. You should be able to send a DM.

Old 04-07-2022, 06:48 PM

88,622 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
It is. It depends on the moderator and it depends on the forum. You have to read the rules at the top that are specific to each one and sometimes set by the moderators; for example, Current Events, Retirement, and Religion & Spirituality (and maybe others) don't allow discussion of politics.

In my main forum and its subforums, R&S, which we always remind people is ABOUT religion, not just a club for the religious, we have certain rules that experience taught us were wise to establish. In Christianity, one can't tell someone else that they aren't a "true Christian" just because they belong to a denomination one doesn't see as valid. Those conversations go down into the sewer very fast and result in bickering and personal attacks. And the owner of the site himself established the rule that no one can proselytize in Atheism & Agnosticism.

Some mods are more sticklers for one thing, lenient for another. It's just human nature. Just as specific rules can vary from forum to forum in addition to the TOS, what one mod sees as a personal attack might not be viewed that way by another. The members all vary, too. Some of you never hit the report button in your life, and for others, the Reported Posts forum (that you can't see) is in the top five of a member's most-posted-in forums.

Another odd thing is that some members seem to think every post in every forum is read. Somebody will say we didn't do this to so-and-so who said the same thing, so why are we picking on you? Maybe we just didn't see that other post. We're not getting paid to do this, and sometimes it takes the time we have just to get rid of the spam, the trolls, the reports, and any other problems we spot along the way. Also, most of us are also posting here ourselves in forums that interest us.

Old 04-08-2022, 07:40 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I think that is for an infraction. Some folks get locked out for a whole year before they can come back. I'm no mod, so I'm not sure, but I do recall a few posters who had to wait a full year before they could post again.
That's interesting. I never knew that. The longest I"ve ever heard of is 2 weeks. I joined in December 2009 but there are times when I go for years without posting but I will always come back and post - sometimes more often than others. Still wish I knew what happened to Minervah and hope she's okay.

Old 04-08-2022, 08:00 AM

36,428 posts, read 16,038,061 times
I've been thinking of CoastalMaine, her moniker being "bring me the Buttah" or something like that. Everytime I use butter I think of her.

Old 04-08-2022, 09:18 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,162,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Haha! I think I use y'all interchangeably sometimes, singular or plural. Being from the south, it's just a word I always heard and used. I did for a time try to stop saying it because it's part of the southern stereotype but finally gave up and eventually embraced it.
I'm from Florida. Haven't lived there since I was 12, but I still say y'all. For me, it's a plural word. More than one person is y'all. (For me.)

I've lived in Missouri a long time though. One difference I've noticed is that when I say the word 'water', I pronounce it 'warter' like all the other Missourians. LOL I didn't used to.

Old 04-08-2022, 10:44 AM

22,349 posts, read 29,457,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Draper View Post
I agree on that

Old 04-08-2022, 11:39 AM

11,062 posts, read 6,655,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I'm from Florida. Haven't lived there since I was 12, but I still say y'all. For me, it's a plural word. More than one person is y'all. (For me.)

I've lived in Missouri a long time though. One difference I've noticed is that when I say the word 'water', I pronounce it 'warter' like all the other Missourians. LOL I didn't used to.
LOL. DH pronounces "water" like "butter". That's about the extent of his NJ accent---oh and "bury" he pronounces like "worry".

Re disappeared posters, I see a thread on this forum from emotioo. I wonder where she went.

Old 04-08-2022, 12:33 PM

5,656 posts, read 3,162,770 times
To the person who DM'd me...maybe it's a St. Louis thing, saying 'warter'. LOL

And no, I don't say Missourah...I say Missouree. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships