Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2021, 08:22 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
phonelady61.

I remember a lot of her posts, but I particularly remember that if Biden was going to be elected, he was going to force us all to get vaccines with chips in them so she was taking her husband and grandchildren and dogs and moving to Canada.

I remember that post because I am an American in Canada who retained a lawyer just to get her stay extended to take care of a sick family member. You can't just up and move to Canada on a whim. They are pretty picky about who they let live here, and they especially don't want retirees, who they think will just leech off their health care system. Doubt they are looking for people who think you can put chips into vaccines.

I was amused.
That is pretty amusing! I remember she had a flair for the paranoid, I mean dramatic.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:16 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
I wonder what happened to Sedonaverde- who had the fluid gender and was always complaining about their parents and various jobs with problems with banging.

Old 11-11-2021, 12:51 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I wonder what happened to Sedonaverde- who had the fluid gender and was always complaining about their parents and various jobs with problems with banging.
The one who was living in the AirBnB and the inappropriate behavior with the landlady? I need to look up some of these old threads!

ETA I'm reading the one about her landlady and the creepy "trust tests" (let me watch you change into your pajamas and I'll help with chores) and I'm willing to bet she ended up in jail.

Last edited by zentropa; 11-11-2021 at 01:03 PM..

Old 11-11-2021, 12:58 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
Some people change their user names.
These forums have an abundance of retired people so some have probably died.
Some have found other forums or perhaps are sick of social media totally.

Old 11-12-2021, 10:27 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
I ran across an old thread the other day which had been dredged up from the past. Blue Willow Plate stopped posting in 2020. Also DawnMTL. I remember her from Food.

Old 11-13-2021, 07:45 AM

30,264 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I'm not familiar with your posts, but don't feel bad - I think it is absurd to miss certain posters who leave, disappear, no longer post. It just doesn't matter!!! (my opinion)

I think it's silly to get that wrapped up with who is posting.

One long-time poster (no longer here) would just repeat over and over - like 20,000 times - the story of how he met his wife. Rarely posting much else.

Yet he is lionized as something special. (mostly just because he loved his wife) ~ It's theater of the absurd.

Some or many posters on City-Data are just happy anyone posts for long periods - they are thankful because they feel the posters are especially interested in them - they are happy anyone wants to spend time with them online. And they are flattered when someone of substance (or most anyone really) posts for long periods.

Then when a poster is lionized after his/her departure, much exaggeration takes place as to their importance.
Yes, one can enjoy certain posters - but the importance of it is greatly exaggerated. People come and go. No big deal. Some posters also think people on City-Data are their friends.
I don't agree with this at all. My best friend is someone I met online in an AOL chat room way back in the 90s. She's still my best friend to this day. We have hung out in real life, talked in real life, and went on trips together, in real life.

It is possible to make real friends from meeting and talking online. It is another way to socialize, learn about people, how people live in other areas, and yes, make actual, real friends.

Some of the posters in this very thread have reached out to me via PM, over the years, letting me know that they are quite open to knowing me in real life, and I think they would be great to know in real life - even when we don't agree on everything.

To dismiss forums, or any other online forms of communication, as nothing more than 'no big deal' or 'it doesn't matter', doesn't take into account that it is very possible, and happens all the time, to make actual friends with those posters who are interested in who you are.

Old 11-13-2021, 10:27 AM

88,611 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't agree with this at all. My best friend is someone I met online in an AOL chat room way back in the 90s. She's still my best friend to this day. We have hung out in real life, talked in real life, and went on trips together, in real life.

It is possible to make real friends from meeting and talking online. It is another way to socialize, learn about people, how people live in other areas, and yes, make actual, real friends.

Some of the posters in this very thread have reached out to me via PM, over the years, letting me know that they are quite open to knowing me in real life, and I think they would be great to know in real life - even when we don't agree on everything.

To dismiss forums, or any other online forms of communication, as nothing more than 'no big deal' or 'it doesn't matter', doesn't take into account that it is very possible, and happens all the time, to make actual friends with those posters who are interested in who you are.
I am still in contact with people I met on the old AOL message boards in 2002. I met two of them in person, and one I am in contact with I still hope to meet.

I've met several people from City-Data in real life, including another mod, and I'm "friends" on FB with more. Yes, "friends" on FB is a different animal than a real life friend, but we know one another's names and things about our lives.

Another poster and I on the NJ forum also came to realize we worked for the same employer and had likely been in the same meetings once or twice along the way. He doesn't post anymore. I don't think anything happened to him, he just retired before I did and moved south and started a new life.

Old 11-13-2021, 02:00 PM

26,742 posts, read 26,834,489 times
I was wondering about oeccscclhjhn. H/she used to post a lot in the Books sub forum.

Old 11-14-2021, 06:07 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,633,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Some people change their user names.
These forums have an abundance of retired people so some have probably died.
Some have found other forums or perhaps are sick of social media totally.
A lot of people move around quite a bit; get bored with a forum, and move on. Message boards are constantly shifting, changing, evolving... people may really love the way a board "clicks" for a few years, but as more and more new people join and add their voices, the board changes - and sometimes it changes into something that people who were really comfortable with it for several years no longer find interesting. So they move on. To them, the forum has "jumped the shark" and is no longer worth bothering with, but to other people just finding it for the first time it may be exactly what they were looking for.

And then they become the posters who dominate the forum and then, 5 years later, everyone will be reminiscing about and wondering what happened to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
The one who was living in the AirBnB and the inappropriate behavior with the landlady? I need to look up some of these old threads!

ETA I'm reading the one about her landlady and the creepy "trust tests" (let me watch you change into your pajamas and I'll help with chores) and I'm willing to bet she ended up in jail.
I'd almost be willing to bet she never existed. Some of those stories strained credibility.... I had a hard time believing that a landlady would be comfortable letting someone with all of those strange habits live in her home for such a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am still in contact with people I met on the old AOL message boards in 2002. I met two of them in person, and one I am in contact with I still hope to meet.
I'm still in contact with someone I met on a message board back in the early 2000s myself. Frequent contact.

In fact, there she is right now, petting the cat. We've been married 14 years.

Old 11-14-2021, 07:29 AM

88,611 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
A lot of people move around quite a bit; get bored with a forum, and move on. Message boards are constantly shifting, changing, evolving... people may really love the way a board "clicks" for a few years, but as more and more new people join and add their voices, the board changes - and sometimes it changes into something that people who were really comfortable with it for several years no longer find interesting. So they move on. To them, the forum has "jumped the shark" and is no longer worth bothering with, but to other people just finding it for the first time it may be exactly what they were looking for.

And then they become the posters who dominate the forum and then, 5 years later, everyone will be reminiscing about and wondering what happened to them.

I'd almost be willing to bet she never existed. Some of those stories strained credibility.... I had a hard time believing that a landlady would be comfortable letting someone with all of those strange habits live in her home for such a long time.

I'm still in contact with someone I met on a message board back in the early 2000s myself. Frequent contact.

In fact, there she is right now, petting the cat. We've been married 14 years.
That's great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships