Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2022, 10:24 AM

11,067 posts, read 6,881,999 times

Advertisements

I miss Minervah. She was my first friend on here, when we both lived in Portland before we each moved elsewhere. No one seems to know what happened to her. I hope she's okay.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:50 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Welcome back, mordant, although I didn't even know you were here to begin with! You hit some very large nails on their very large heads.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:34 AM

1,250 posts, read 679,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
When I left, it was in large part because of the escalating attempts to isolate, e.g., discussion of science from religion, religion from philosophy, etc. Sometimes these areas very much overlap, and discussion organically wants to cross lines that management has decided aren't to be crossed. Another obstacle to organic flow in conversations is that it's quite normal for a discussion to evolve, sometimes even to the point it's mostly unrelated to the original topic that it started with. This is not inherently a Bad Thing in my view. I think deliberate derailing of threads with actual tangents coming from one person can and should be policed, but abruptly shutting down a thread that people are invested in because it has by mutual consent or normal evolution taken a different direction, is in my view tone-deaf and ham-fisted.

Combine the above with an almost comical aversion to even the mildest profanity -- another organic part of normal conversation -- and I just needed to go someplace where I'd be treated like an adult for awhile. And where I can give all the likes I want without constantly being told I'm not liking enough different people.

The strength of these fora is a lot of variety in one place, though, and it's (mostly) nice to be back. These days, I alternate between here and a place where I'm not always having to censor and work around various arbitrary constraints. The downside of that place is a lot lower volume of posters and a more limited set of topics.

I hasten to add, the owners of this site have every right to set whatever rules they please, however counterproductive I may think them. I abide by those rules, as the price ($0) is right.
What other forum did you find where word censorship is not an issue?

And I agree with you about organic flow of conversations - I wish that was permitted here.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:41 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
What other forum did you find where word censorship is not an issue?

And I agree with you about organic flow of conversations - I wish that was permitted here.
AtheistDiscussion.org. It's the successor to the atheist form on TheThinkingAtheist.com, which was shut down some years back.

I use the same handle there; say hello if you stop by.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:54 PM

700 posts, read 446,903 times
I've been on a couple threads now where a member has like 10 posts over 10-12 years. How does one even remember this site posting once or less a year?

Old 01-30-2022, 03:52 PM

1,250 posts, read 679,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
AtheistDiscussion.org. It's the successor to the atheist form on TheThinkingAtheist.com, which was shut down some years back.

I use the same handle there; say hello if you stop by.
I'll definitely check it out.

Thank you

Edit: Checked it out and it's way too underwhelming for me.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:49 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I wonder what happened to Sedonaverde- who had the fluid gender and was always complaining about their parents and various jobs with problems with banging.
Oh my, I remember her crazy dramas. I think she was banned. But posters like her can be addictive, you can't believe what they'll post next.

What happened to freemkt? Never could find a decent place to live, had medical issues, no matter what everyone suggested, he always had an excuse why he couldn't handle things better. I assume he was banned or did he pass away?

Old 01-31-2022, 09:44 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
[QUOTE

Also, domergurl used to be the moderator of the Indiana forums and I just loved her. I sometimes wonder what happened that she stopped posting and how she’s doing. Maybe a moderator reading this post might know more about that.[/quote]

I've often wondered what happened to her. I was gone for about 8 months or so about 10 years ago as I had some personal stuff to deal with at the tme. Domergurl and I had a lot in common--from the same general part of the state, both had lived in Chicago suburbs not far apart. She lived about an hour away from me. A few other things. When I returned she was gone.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:14 AM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
If being unable to spew four-letter words upsets anyone, there's always reddit.

Old 02-07-2022, 11:46 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,153,259 times
Does anyone know how Nicci6Squirrels is doing and why she stopped posting here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships