Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:10 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
Well. I asked this question because I wonder why my friend talks to this girl who is 18. I dont know the content of their conversations, but they do talk privately often, though not more often than he and I talk. To my knowledge, he isnt interested in romance with her, but she does have a crush on him and writes in her blog about how she likes him after they finish talking. How she "hasnt felt this way about a guy since" another guy in the past. And "dont be afraid, its only love" right after talking to him again.

Theyre friends on Facebook as well, which he doesnt even use, so he mustve only used it recently just to add her. I believe he just likes her looks and would date her if she were a bit older. They live closer to each other than he and I do, but never met. Shes not that pretty, imo, but is skinny and has very long, blonde hair and a beautiful Facebook picture. I think he finds her attractive, but I really dont know the scope of their friendship. She is the type who always has a boyfriend though, so she is attractive to men.

I just wanted to know what people think of a friendship like this, but I guess it doesnt matter.
And how do you know what's in her blog/Facebook? Are you jealous of this friendship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 12:19 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Can anyone explain?
My wife is not a cyclist. I am an avid cyclist age 69. I sometimes go on long rides with an attractive and intelligent young lady in her early 20s. We are friends and both into cycling -- no more or less to this. Not a problem to my wife or anybody else as far as I know. If it is, then that is tough s***!

There really is such a thing as people of a few decades age difference sharing interests.

My wife shares interests and is friends with some young gay men in their 20s and 30s -- not a problem either!

Judge not..........

Don in Austin

Old 06-19-2015, 01:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
An 18 year old girl is a totally different thing from a 30 yr old "woman." Sorry. That's just the way it is. Take it or leave it. Men are men.

Old 06-19-2015, 02:06 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Well. I asked this question because I wonder why my friend talks to this girl who is 18. I dont know the content of their conversations, but they do talk privately often, though not more often than he and I talk. To my knowledge, he isnt interested in romance with her, but she does have a crush on him and writes in her blog about how she likes him after they finish talking. How she "hasnt felt this way about a guy since" another guy in the past. And "dont be afraid, its only love" right after talking to him again.

Theyre friends on Facebook as well, which he doesnt even use, so he mustve only used it recently just to add her. I believe he just likes her looks and would date her if she were a bit older. They live closer to each other than he and I do, but never met. Shes not that pretty, imo, but is skinny and has very long, blonde hair and a beautiful Facebook picture. I think he finds her attractive, but I really dont know the scope of their friendship. She is the type who always has a boyfriend though, so she is attractive to men.

I just wanted to know what people think of a friendship like this, but I guess it doesnt matter.
You're right, it doesn't. Well, maybe it does to somebody, but unless you are in a relationship (or are wanting a relationship) with the man in question then it truly doesn't matter.

Personally, I'm in my forties and one of my good friends is a woman in her sixties. One of my other good friends is a woman in her early twenties. Since I'm happily married (and even if I weren't) neither of those friends holds any attraction for me other than as friends. I've never bought into the idea that we should limit our friendships to only those in our own age group/gender/ethnicity/etc. Doing so limits your exposure to new ideas.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:50 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Maybe because they are friends?

Old 06-19-2015, 04:25 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
it most certainly can be a friendship only arrangement .. i had one with a young girl starting with when she was 14 and i was 50 .. she loved my hotrod cars and would always wave at me when i drove past her home .. she lived just down the street .. i would do burnouts for her from time to time ..it was two years before i learned her name .. she moved away after finishing school and had a child in a quick bad marriage .. she moved back home recently and we reconnected and in a stupid drunken stupor i did bring up sex to her and she has shunned me every since .. breaks my heart ..
Just totally disgusting.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:35 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
An 18 year old girl is a totally different thing from a 30 yr old "woman." Sorry. That's just the way it is. Take it or leave it. Men are men.
Yeah, and women are women. An older guy is a much better sexual match for an 18-20 year old who hasn't reached her sexual stride yet. His patience and slower responses will give her the time she needs to attain orgasms. After a woman is in her 30s or 40s, she is hornier and a much better match for a young man which is why so many suburbanites invite the cabana boy in to "cool off."

In any case, once she turns 18 a young woman has the right to have sex with anyone she wants to. Her choices are no ones business but hers.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:37 PM

372 posts, read 534,004 times
Quote:
Can anyone explain?

Because he can be... and nobody's offering better guidance for both.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 8,220 times
Maybe they share common interests and it's not necessarily about romance or sex? and even if it were, they're both consenting adults and it's really none of your business? Besides, at 18, she is a WOMAN, not a girl! Sheesh!

Old 06-19-2015, 09:46 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFlower61 View Post
Maybe they share common interests and it's not necessarily about romance or sex? and even if it were, they're both consenting adults and it's really none of your business? Besides, at 18, she is a WOMAN, not a girl! Sheesh!
Thanks for a reasonable take on this silly thread!

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships