Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 12:22 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemPhotos View Post
This actually is a trip that my spouse has always wanted to take, which certainly complicates things. We've talked about our taking this same trip sometime as just the two of us. That's not making much difference, though, in terms of the trip I'm wanting to take w/ my sibling & parent.

My sole reasoning behind the vagueness was that I thought that'd be the best way to get unbiased responses. I'm asking in complete seriousness and I'm not baiting you at all by asking this: do you think your answer to the question(s) might have changed if I'd included our genders?
Yes, that does complicate things and goes a ways toward explaining why spouse is upset.

You and spouse seem to have different notions of what being married is about. I'm glad you're seeing a counselor because you need to iron this out sooner rather than later.

Is spouse welcome on the trip, but just can't go? Or do you, sibling and parent prefer that spouse not go? If YOU prefer that your spouse not go, I see other issues in your future married life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 12:37 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Yes, that does complicate things and goes a ways toward explaining why spouse is upset.

You and spouse seem to have different notions of what being married is about. I'm glad you're seeing a counselor because you need to iron this out sooner rather than later.

Is spouse welcome on the trip, but just can't go? Or do you, sibling and parent prefer that spouse not go? If YOU prefer that your spouse not go, I see other issues in your future married life.

Yes, we don't have enough information.

I get the feeling that the spouse was told that they could not go, which is a sad state of affairs, if true.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:52 PM

920 posts, read 931,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Yes, we don't have enough information.

I get the feeling that the spouse was told that they could not go, which is a sad state of affairs, if true.
Yes that's true. I think this OP's spouse is in for a ton of heartache. No one should be in conseling to learn equal time during the holidays is for both sides of the family is fair and just. And ommitting the fiancee from the vacation is RUDE and disrespectful

Heres some of the post cut and pasted-

Again, part of my fiance's argument is that I spend so much time w/ sibling and parent throughout the year that I shouldn't need to go on another trip with them. Another part of the argument is that it's just "weird" that I would go on a trip with just my sibling and parent with no spouses. Another part is that my spouse is hurt by not being included. A part of the argument is that my sibling's spouse would be included if they didn't have kids.

"I'm in the preliminary stages of planning a trip across the country with a sibling and one of our (divorced) parents for parent's milestone birthday. My spouse thinks that it's flat-out weird that I'd be taking a trip across the country w/ just a sibling and a parent. My spouse is also hurt and offended that my spouse nor my sibling's spouse aren't being included in this. What are your thoughts on this? More information follows that may or may not shed more light on my spouse's argument."

If my fspouse was hurt and offended by my parent treating them like dirt, ommiting them from a vacation AFTER monopolozing all of my time to boot, I'd boot out the parent from my time for a while. The OP's parents are rude, heartless, ungreatful and spoiled. It's their honeymoon period to boot.

I'd apologize for not defending my spouse and mend my relationship so as the marriage will go smoothly
Moving is in order first of all, they live just down the street. And inlaws visit for months on end throughout the year demanding attention beyond what is reasonable. These people need to be set straight, not be rewarded with their kin leaving their loved one all alone to be with them....AGAIN. Especially during the honeymoon period. This "newlywed" is quite rude to their "spouse", it's pretty horrible to read.

Last edited by OutdoorsyGal; 11-17-2015 at 01:00 PM..

Old 11-17-2015, 01:06 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Any configuration of a trip is fine as long as all parties are in agreement. And some married people remain very close to their parents and siblings throughout their marriage and their spouse is on board with it and everyone is happy. The problem here is that the OP's spouse is not in agreement with the trip as it's planned and thinks the OP is putting her birth family before her marriage. That issue has to be addressed or the marriage isn't going to be a happy one.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:34 PM

19 posts, read 23,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
HOWEVER, I really only think that's normal if the spouse shows no interest in going, if the spouse is unable to go because of work/family/whatever commitments and gives you his/her blessing or if the spouse is going to take that time to take a trip with friends or relatives himself/herself.
Option 3 is the only one that's currently a possibility but we haven't made it that far yet in our discussions....

Old 11-17-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I think leaving out genders actually makes it much harder to get a helpful reply.
Looks like several others here share that same opinion........I'm the husband and would be traveling w/ a slightly younger sister and our mom.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
But your spouse wants to build a life with you, not two separate lives.
And I want to build a life w/ my wife, too, but I don't feel, as others mentioned after your post yesterday, that building a life w/ her is jeopardized by an occasional trip while traveling without her.

Quote:
A cross-country trip seems quite different, and it seems like you're going to be gone for longer than a night or two. (correct me if I'm wrong with this assumption)
The trip would be for 3 full days bookended by two travel days.

Quote:
It's odd that you're ready to leave your new spouse so soon to take a trip that he/she seems to be so hurt and upset by. Are you sure that you were even ready to get married?
We got engaged in January of this year, had our first discussion about this (the one where we let it be w/o an argument) in March, had the argument about it in June or July, got married last month, and the trip is supposed to be in March or April. We took a 10-day honeymoon two days after the wedding.

We were definitely ready to get married. It all happened pretty fast but we were ready.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:05 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,233 times
Your spouse sounds insecure, and mark this down, it will be the first of many arguments! There is nothing wrong with you doing a trip with a parent, for a milestone. You two have the rest of your lives to travel and make your own memories.

Also I agree that you shouldnt have divulged genders, what difference does it make?

Old 11-17-2015, 03:16 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
Where are you going? Is it something easily reached at a later time for you and your wife? A trip to Europe orHHawaii would be harder to 'get over' than a trip in the lower 48. You could always have her join you for a couple days before or after. Before would be better for your marriage. I still think it's fine either way.

It may be that your wife has a strained relationship with your mom and you're clueless--many new husbands are. It takes a while longer for them to see. Make sure there is equal time between families. I'm guessing that a schedule would be best.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostoneunturned View Post
Agree about needing genders to undestand this a bit more.
I'm the husband; traveling with my slightly younger sister and our mom.

Quote:
However I don't see any issue with your family taking a trip together if you wish. Your parent may just want to spend time with you and your sibling, what's wrong with that? It may be one of the last times you ever do something like this, I would treasure it. Sounds like you are a tight-knit family. Maybe in the future the spouses can be included but this trip stems from a time before you were even engaged.
This is the root of my entire argument w/ my wife.

Quote:
I don't want to judge, but your spouse sounds a little bit controlling. It's not "weird," unless there are things you are leaving out aside from sexes.
Um......I'm 37, she's 36, first marriage for both of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships