Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 10:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,926,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ha, I am very tall, and I worked with a woman who wasn't quite as tall as I am but still around 5'9 and large-boned. I always thought of us as being about the same size, then I saw a picture of us together and was shocked to realize she's probably 2 sizes smaller than I am. You know how anorexics look in the mirror and see a fat person? I look in the mirror and see a thinner person!
A taller person looks more proportionate at a bigger size. A size 16 woman who is six foot tall looks thinner than a size 16 person who's 5'3".

My sister looks in the mirror and sees a much thinner person...I think she actually has an inability to tell what size she is or anyone else is. Sometimes she thinks my daughter who wears a size 12 needs an 18 or 20. And sometimes my sister who wears a size 26 will think she can fit into a 12. We go to the thrift store sometimes and she doesn't look at the size on anything before she tries it on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 10:09 PM

2,076 posts, read 2,392,084 times
Another alternative would be a camping chair that is foldable and can be put away between visits. Some of these chairs are made for up to 800 lbs. This way you don't have to have this one odd looking chair in your living room.

My 64 year old brother is 5'11" and about 400 lbs. He has mobility problems and can not get up from a low seat without someone helping to pull him up. Spends a lot of time sitting, taking naps, and walking a city block or two is difficult. He crouches over while standing and can't stand for very long without bracing himself by putting his hands on a table - sort of like the people at the grocery store who need to push a cart to prop themselves up. My brother has always been heavy but was much more mobile before putting on the last 100 lbs 10 years ago. So I'm surprised that the OP's ex can function so well at 600 lbs. Maybe being younger makes a big difference.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:32 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,549,516 times
Just buy a sturdy, large chair or two, or even a loveseat, at a thrift store. I've seen plenty of them at places like Goodwill. Older stuff may not be currently fashionable, but is generally constructed better, and of higher quality, sturdier materials.

Interesting fact...I once visited the Mission Inn, a beautiful & historic hotel in Riverside, CA. They had on display a lovely, large chair that was made especially for a visit by US President Taft, who weighed in excess of 350 lbs.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:07 AM

9,018 posts, read 13,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming95 View Post
He needs to buy his own chair and leave it in your house. You should not be responsible for his limitations.You are doing enough by hosting him to allow him to see his children.
Yes,especially since I get no child support from him.
His limitation(his weight) places him in the "can't work category".

But to keep the peace,i will get that chair someone posted off Amazon.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:18 AM

9,018 posts, read 13,871,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
600 pounds???????? I am under 200 and have broken my mother's kitchen chairs!

you might need to put out sturdier chairs for when this person visits.
I am over 200 pounds and stuff like that happens when i flop down.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:16 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,684,906 times
OP-first and foremost..they need to be safe whatever they are able to sit on. Do they use a walker to get around? How do they use the toilet facilities? Do you have stairs they need to climb to even get into the house?

Surely, as a severely medically obese person, they are likely aware what furniture will support them safely.

And as another commenter said, if they fall to the floor, how will you get the up? That weight would almost require calling paramedics for.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:04 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,455,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Then he should have plenty of time to take the kids somewhere other than your house.

I would not put up with this from someone who isn't working, not paying child support, but can drive. He could be driving for Uber or Lyft, for God's sake.

This is called enabling.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:50 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,683,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Just buy a sturdy, large chair or two, or even a loveseat, at a thrift store. I've seen plenty of them at places like Goodwill. Older stuff may not be currently fashionable, but is generally constructed better, and of higher quality, sturdier materials.

Interesting fact...I once visited the Mission Inn, a beautiful & historic hotel in Riverside, CA. They had on display a lovely, large chair that was made especially for a visit by US President Taft, who weighed in excess of 350 lbs.
So now you have some furniture that stands out like an eyesore in your living room. Your home is your domain and should be furnished they way you like it. I suppose if you can find something you like and don't mind paying for it.

On the old sitcom "Frasier" the father had that awful chair....LOL. But at least he brought it with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Why does he have to come in? I know other divorced people who when it came to picking up and dropping off minor children didn't go past the front door. They were civil to each other, but it was just handled that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Then he should have plenty of time to take the kids somewhere other than your house.

I would not put up with this from someone who isn't working, not paying child support, but can drive. He could be driving for Uber or Lyft, for God's sake.

This is called enabling.
Exactly. Uber or Lyft don't even get out their car to open the door, the driver just pulls up and off they go.

I'm sure he's getting disability courtesy of the taxpayers. I have no problem with someone who is really disabled collecting, but not when it's self induced due to being a slob.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:13 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,812,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
While I am sure that there are a few people in the 600 plus range that live active lives (go to work, visit friends & relatives, drive, party, etc.) IMHO they are probably the rare exception.

I am also surprised that so many people have commented that they personally know/knew someone of that weight.

It's not that I am discriminating against people who are morbidly obese (heck, I'm probably considered obese, myself) but, IMHO, most people of that weight are just not out in the workforce or community very often.
I have a friend who is around 500lbs and is average height (maybe 5'10"). He works a pretty physical job considering (he delivers medical supplies, so he has to load and unload his van and sometimes walk long distances in hospitals and such to make his deliveries). He also does all the yardwork for his mother, who has a decent amount of property.

So some morbidly obese people can move around pretty well. He does have a ton of health problems though.

Personally I've been overweight since I was a teenager. At my highest I was nearly 400lbs and while I carry my weight well and nobody would have guessed that much, it had a bad effect on my health. I had trouble walking and breathing and horrible back pain. It was also so embarrassing not being able to fit into booths at restaurants or be able to walk around a store. I decided that I was done with it and had surgery and have since dropped almost 200lbs. I'm still technically "overweight" but I'm working on getting to my goal and I feel MUCH better.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:42 PM

20,771 posts, read 20,032,722 times
you could hardly walk and breathe but you carried it well? What does "carry it well" mean? Even if you look 100lbs slimmer, you still look like 300lbs, no offense ...

Congrats on the 200 lbs. that is amazing, wow. How different does it feel? How do you keep it off and how come you had 400lbs at some time? Did all your health issues go away or will some stay forever? I heard the surgery is extremely tough on the body, is that true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships