Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 06:36 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You're assuming. It's possible that it's not the case, and that's why the guest brought something else.

Before anyone jumps me ... no, I'm not justifying, just offering a possible explanation.
The OP said she makes "wonderful soup."

Old 01-10-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It appears OP was upset because her husband chose their soup over hers. I do understand, she was proud of herself and wanted her husband to be as well, however I do think from many of the posts that OP didn't really like this person even before the dinner. I really don't think she meant any harm in bringing the soup.
We don't know that the person who brought the pot of soup wasn't trying to "compete" and steal the OP's "thunder." I had a friend once who would try to put down my (non-cooking) accomplishments. Even though she was very talented in many ways, she couldn't pass up a chance to denigrate my abilities.

This thread shows what picky eaters so many people are. I'd rather give my food to "the poor children in China."

Old 01-10-2017, 07:10 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
I know people who think they are better cooks than they are.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:14 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
This thread keeps reminding me of the classic Soup Nazi Seinfeld episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA

Old 01-10-2017, 07:27 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
IDK, I pretty much always bring a dish to share; most people around here too, unless they are specifically told not to. I do not for two reasons: it's generally considered a polite gesture, and because I have dietary restrictions that I don't want the host to feel put out trying to accommodate. Case in point: a big ol' Italian dinner is a nightmare for me (dairy allergy) because there is cheese and butter on pretty much everything. If I know the host is serving lasagna, for example, instead of him/her feeling like they need to make a whole separate meal just for me, I'll bring a side dish that I know I can eat. It's either that or I sit there and eat nothing, and they feel embarrassed for not having something their guest can eat. I'll choke down some meat for the sake of politeness, but dairy is a whole other story.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:29 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
I'm sure she thinks so. That doesn't necessarily mean it's true. Not saying it's definitely untrue ... just that there are two sides to every story, and we're only getting OP's. It's possible that the guests know better than to expect "wonderful soup."

Old 01-10-2017, 07:53 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
The cream based soups traditionally do better in sourdough bread bowls which are very popular in the city where I live.

Chicken broth/water based soups get absorbed by the bread and all that's left is soggy bread and the ingredients of the soup are just laying at the bottom of the (w/o liquid) bread bowl. I offered a soup (glass) bowl but she preferred a bread bowl.

I agree with you that it is more about the people which is why I was shocked that she had to bring her own meal and didn't come with the same intention of enjoying a family gathering.
After all these pages, here's what I'm still unsure of:

Did she actually bring her own meal? Or did she bring food for sharing? To me, those are two very different things. It sounds like she intended to share--like a potluck--based on your anger at the fact your husband had the gall to partake in her soup.

Bringing something to share doesn't sound mean-spirited, or like she wasn't intending to enjoy a family gathering.

Bringing something only for herself, yeah, that's pretty odd. But she still showed up, presumably with the intention of enjoying the family gathering. No?

Old 01-10-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
IDK, I pretty much always bring a dish to share; most people around here too, unless they are specifically told not to. I do not for two reasons: it's generally considered a polite gesture, and because I have dietary restrictions that I don't want the host to feel put out trying to accommodate. Case in point: a big ol' Italian dinner is a nightmare for me (dairy allergy) because there is cheese and butter on pretty much everything. If I know the host is serving lasagna, for example, instead of him/her feeling like they need to make a whole separate meal just for me, I'll bring a side dish that I know I can eat. It's either that or I sit there and eat nothing, and they feel embarrassed for not having something their guest can eat. I'll choke down some meat for the sake of politeness, but dairy is a whole other story.
Are you a vegan also?

Old 01-10-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
After all these pages, here's what I'm still unsure of:

Did she actually bring her own meal? Or did she bring food for sharing? To me, those are two very different things. It sounds like she intended to share--like a potluck--based on your anger at the fact your husband had the gall to partake in her soup.

Bringing something to share doesn't sound mean-spirited, or like she wasn't intending to enjoy a family gathering.

Bringing something only for herself, yeah, that's pretty odd. But she still showed up, presumably with the intention of enjoying the family gathering. No?
IDK. Bringing the same item (soup) as the OP was serving sounds like a competition to me. She could have brought a cheese tray or other side dish if she wasn't trying to upstage the hostess. If she wanted to bring soup, she should have called the OP And asked about it.

Old 01-10-2017, 08:51 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Are you a vegan also?
Considering she indicated she would eat a piece of meat, I'd say it's doubtful she's even a vegetarian, let alone a vegan. What difference would that make anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.