Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 05:46 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,169,247 times

Advertisements

I agree, their house, their rules.

I also agree to get a job while you are looking. While you don't have to work at Walmart, you certainly don't have to put it on your resume or tell potential employers.

There is NO shame in supporting yourself any way you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 06:00 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,243,978 times
I still say you need to keep the same hours as those who OWN the house even if they are your parents. And get out and job hunt at the library if you can't at home. 8 hours a day, no excuses. If you can't find a job soon take any job to get you out of the house. A person needs to keep busy and not fall into free loading staying up all night and sleeping all day. That is wrong. You can't just sit around waiting for the perfect job to handed to you on a silver platter. Get out there and work at working. Get your certificates, do something. 8 hours a day.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:47 PM

2,507 posts, read 1,889,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Have you looked at his posting history? Maybe that'll change your mind.
Well, he/she's definitely done things the hard way. I can't imagine anything is going to change.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:49 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shira_k View Post
It's great that your parents are able to do this for you but don't forget that they don't *have to*- and don't forget that you are now disrupting their lives. I know you're family and all, but you don't sound grateful.
If you truly want to help someone, be it a family member or friend, you just help them. You don't constantly stand in judgement and be a critic of every action they do. This isn't doing anyone a favor by allowing them to stay there while they get their act together to be subjected to an entirely negative experience. This reminds me of those people who are given food, but forced to listen to someone attempting to convert them to their religion. Someone is starving, if not for food, but shelter and it is wrong to treat them like they are now your personal property and you get to impose your will on them. Someone is in need, offer them the help, but be respectful. It's a very hard thing to ask for and accept help, so it shouldn't be doubling punishing to be causing them additional stress from the situation.

Last edited by eastcoastguyz; 06-14-2017 at 09:18 PM..

Old 06-14-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post

The last time I lived at home, I made it a point to be out of the house by 9 am. I got coffee and/or went to the library, but the main idea was that I was dressed and not underfoot.
You are confusing keeping up appearances with actually doing what is most needed.

I see no reason to go to the library dressed if you can do the same thing from the comfort of your bedroom with a computer. Job searching is a full-time job, and getting dressed to pretend it is like a job and leaving the house by 9 AM with your coffee to fool the neighbors and yourself you still have a job doesn't produce a better outcome. In fact, it is a waste of time. It is what you do with the time that does count and that can be done with your computer at home. There are almost zero resources at the library these days for a job search if you have internet access and a working computer at home.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
No matter how unreasonable their nagging is, you are in their home so you abide by their requirements. I am surprised that others think you can do what you want and still expect to live at home. Unless you are contributing to the rent and expenses you are not "owed" anything.

I would suggest setting a schedule close to a job schedule and leave the house to do your job hunting. Take your laptop to a library or Starbucks and spend time there. That way your parents can't scrutinize how you spend your time. If you are staying up late and sleeping in late I can sort of understand their irritation. With older generations a good work ethic is tied to getting up early but sleeping in is tied to laziness.
So your solution, is allow yourself to be treated like an out of control teenager.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
He's only been there a month, and is actively involved in a job search. It's not like he's been there a year or two, and is just slobbing around & playing video games all day. I find it dismaying that people feel that an adult child in the middle of a career change living at home for a couple of months to look for a job is somehow beyond the pale, and a grave imposition. "Family" doesn't seem to be worth much in American culture.
I agree.

People seem to think if you aren't making any money, that you are just a bum partying all the time.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Who is he?
He's just his father. Not his master. He isn't a dog who has to obey commands or not given a treat.

So by your logic, if I take out out to lunch and pay for the meal, I get to talk you how to eat, how to speak and what you should do with your life? Because I paid for the meal I own you?

Old 06-14-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
Well to be fair, the door isn't solid in that it lets some light through but I do spend most of my time during the day on my PC job hunting and it's away from my parents so it shouldn't bother them.

I agree with you that time spent in a dead end McJob just to show I'm employed is not the most productive usage of my time.
If light is the issue, then stuff some towels under the door. If that isn't enough, put in a Velcro black-out curtain on your side of the door. When you close it, you can put up the curtain to block any light from coming out.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I agree, their house, their rules.

I also agree to get a job while you are looking. While you don't have to work at Walmart, you certainly don't have to put it on your resume or tell potential employers.

There is NO shame in supporting yourself any way you can.
I don't agree. It doesn't have to do with shame. It has to do with time. When looking for a professional job, you need to spend all day doing this and be available. You can't be working at Target collecting carts and answer your cell phone and conduct an interview with HR. People who work in HR also aren't very bright and if the OP isn't available when they call and to interview immediately on their schedule, they will just move to another candidate.

I know this is hard for some people to grasp, but finding a good professional job takes time. It isn't just applying for the jobs, but learning about the companies and keeping up on trends. These things take time too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships