Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2018, 05:15 PM

16,443 posts, read 12,618,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You probably didn't read all the comments by the OP, they're also overriding him on the bachelor party as well. He is the Best Man and the brother.
Honestly, I question how much of it is reality and how much of it is the OP's perception of things which is colored due to his insecurities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The sibling relationship is the longest relationship we will have in our lifetimes.
Not always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 05:15 PM

48,637 posts, read 35,109,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanb1181 View Post
As I just said they listed the event as Wedding Party Football Outing on social media. It wasn't done as "work family" thing.
So everyone went and you knew nothing about it until afterwards? No one spoke to you about it? Who told you the reason the didn't invite you and when?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-04-2018, 05:16 PM

16,443 posts, read 12,618,500 times
Quote:
As I just said they listed the event as Wedding Party Football Outing on social media. It wasn't done as "work family" thing.
Did anyone attend who wasn't in the firefighter group?

Old 02-04-2018, 05:17 PM

45 posts, read 35,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
So everyone went and you knew nothing about it until afterwards? No one spoke to you about it? Who told you the reason the didn't invite you and when?
Yes, I didn't know about it and I was told on Facebook by one of the guys that they didn't invite me because of my money issues.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:19 PM

45 posts, read 35,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Did anyone attend who wasn't in the firefighter group?
No. The guys who went are the firefighters who are in the wedding party.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,713,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Honestly, I question how much of it is reality and how much of it is the OP's perception of things which is colored due to his insecurities.

Not always.
Well actually it is. I am not talking about people who aren't talking to their siblings, or whose siblings die at a young age.

But for most people their sibling relationships will last longer than any marriage, or friendship, or the years they know their children.

If you live to be in your late 70s or 80s and have siblings who are around your age, it will be the person or persons who have known you the longest.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:23 PM

350 posts, read 334,815 times
Please get therapy and I am so very, very sorry about your life changing accident.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:27 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,263,573 times
Quote:
I am always there for my brother and so don't accuse me of not being there for my brother. I just don't want his work friends to be more important to him than me.
It's not a competition.

Quote:
I was injured in a skiing accident last year and ended up with a spinal cord injury and I'm stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of my life so yeah I'm a little pissed about things.
I am very sorry about that. Of course you are having all kind of emotions, and you have plenty to be upset about.

Quote:
There's no a counselor in the world that will help me feel like a full man again or will help me enjoy being around my able bodied brother and his able bodied friends.
A counselor could help you sort out your feelings and realize why you are having them.

Quote:
They left me out of the gifts they have given my brother and they also took him to a Colts game a few months back and i wasn't even invited. I probably wouldn't have had the money to go, but it pisses me off that they couldn't even ask or tell me. I had to see it on my brother's Facebook. I'm trying to plan the bachelor party locally, but they keep pushing for events out of state that I can't afford and so yes I think they are doing what they can to make me look bad and like I don't care about my brother. It's also their bull**** comments about being "brothers" and how they have stronger bond that **** me off.
You need to talk to your brother about this. I would hope that he would want you involved, an would either find a way for you to go, or tell them that he wants it local so you can be there.

Quote:
I don't enjoy other people trying to take my place in my brother's life. At the end of the day they should just be like co-workers and not view each other as "family".
They aren't. They are his friends. Your brother is allowed to have friends.

Quote:
I believe in putting blood families and spouses first and not viewing co-workers or friends in the same category as family. It pisses me off that my own brother is putting other people in that category and not telling his co-workers that he already has a brother and that's me and they aren't his brothers.
Not your call. You brother has one of those professions that goes beyond just work.

Quote:
I'm trying to plan the bachelor party and write a best man's speech. I was left out of the gifts they got for my brother and the Colts game and I wouldn' be surprised if they leave me out of other events where they to sporting events or other places.
The groomsmen don't decide who makes speeches. How many wedding events are there going to be? This seems like a lot, especially for guys.

Quote:
It would still hurt me that I can't be at their expensive out of town party especially since I'm the best man.
You need to discuss this with your brother. The bachelor party should be something you all can attend.

Quote:
I don't like that my brother has a shared bond with them because it makes it seem like i'm not good enough for him.
I understand jealousy, but you need to take a step back and realize that this is out of hand. Your brother is allowed to have friends.

Quote:
I know he still values me, but at times it feels like he values them more especially since he was ok with me being left out of the Colts game and the gifts they pitched in to get. He didn't stand up for me when I wasn't involved in those things.
Talk to him.

Quote:
I'm not obxnious at all. They listed the event as a Wedding Party Football outing. They didn't invite me because of my money issues.
They probably (wrongly) think that they did you a favor by not asking so you didn't have to decline because of money. It does sound like they should be taking you into account more if these really are wedding events.

Bottom line, you need to talk to your brother. He should be standing up for you, but he needs to do it in a way that he doesn't sound ungrateful for what his friends are doing for him.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:33 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,032,678 times
Quote:
Yes, I didn't know about it and I was told on Facebook by one of the guys that they didn't invite me because of my money issues.
Which are legitimate, and surely your brother is aware of them. Yet is doesn't seem your brother did anything to ensure your attendance, which makes me think this wasn't an actual wedding event, as much as a gathering of friends who just happen to be part of the same wedding party.

I think you should plan an activity with just yourself and your brother. Don't spend the time complaining, use it to remind him of your many years together. Wish him well, and let him know you wish things were different, but you just don't have the resources for the multiple pre-wedding parties, but you'll be proud to be his best man on the day it really matters.

Old 02-04-2018, 05:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,263,573 times
Quote:
Thank you again. I have been treated like<bleep> just because I'm disabled and don't have money for expensive gifts and football games.
Are you, though? Do you think other people shouldn't do these things because you can't? I think I understand why you are upset, but you need to look at it from the perspective of others. What are you really asking? Are you asking to be invited, even though you can't go? Are you asking for your brother to decline because you can't go? Are you asking for you brother's friends not to go?

I hope that, after you discuss this with your brother, you have an in-town bachelor party that you all can attend.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-05-2018 at 05:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships