Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 02:35 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,084,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Now here is the funny part...
I smoke cigs. I love my coffee.
I am allergic to alcohol ( recovery does that)
and I have zero desire to load, hold or be near a violent tool of mass murder.

Yet I enjoy my friends and we have other common bonds that are worthy of attending.

They know where my boundaries are, and thankfully I know where theirs are.

No to any pot smokers though.
Just curious - why do you draw the line at pot smokers? It is legal where I live, so perhaps you're just looking at it from a (non) legal perspective. If not, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 03:22 PM

741 posts, read 592,586 times
Responsible, legal drinkers, yes. Drug users or smokers of any kind, legal or illegal, no.

I’m too old to put up with it anymore. The addiction wins every time. Smoking is a nasty habit that permeates clothes, hair, car, and home. I always smell like stale smoke after being around a smoker, even if I wasn’t around their smoke.

I have nothing in common with people who have those kinds of addictions. It’s less about the substance and more about their value system. We have different values.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:03 PM

15,221 posts, read 10,389,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
I'm an ex-smoker so I like to smell the smoke from smokers.

I'm the opposite - I don't even like the smell that lingers on a person who smokes when they walk by me in a public place. I had an appointment years ago with a massage therapist and when she walked in smelling like an ash try I just canceled the appointment. The thing is smokers don't realize how badly their house, car and clothes smell until they quit. I could be friends with a smoker but I wouldn't date one.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:28 PM

2,515 posts, read 1,706,207 times
I can as long as they don't smoke in my vehicles, home or blowing that cancerous smoke in my face.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:56 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,711,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I'm the opposite - I don't even like the smell that lingers on a person who smokes when they walk by me in a public place. I had an appointment years ago with a massage therapist and when she walked in smelling like an ash try I just canceled the appointment. The thing is smokers don't realize how badly their house, car and clothes smell until they quit. I could be friends with a smoker but I wouldn't date one.

My house and car doesn't smell. They have an aroma. Non smokers keep visiting me so I guess everyone is different.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:58 PM

3,738 posts, read 5,802,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
If you are a non-smoker/user, could you intentionally associate, even be friends with a smoker, vaper, dipper, et cetera? Drug user? Weed user? Edibles eaters? The list goes on.

Absolutely NOT!

Old 09-22-2018, 12:00 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,497,316 times
It seems like a lot of smokers are answering the OP's question. LOL.

I am a non-smoker, my husband is a non-smoker, all of my family and all of my friends are non-smokers. Our handyman is a non-smoker. All our health providers are non-smokers. I literally don't know anyone personally who smokes tobacco or who smells of tobacco smoke. Those who were smokers gave it up or died (sorry, but true). Laws and society here favor non-smokers and I am glad of it. It sucked when we had to endure smoke in restaurants and offices.

With such a wide circle of friends and acquaintances who don't smoke, it is hard to imagine having to choose new friends who are smokers. I guess I'll cross that bridge if and when it happens, but if they only smoke on their own time and I never see it or smell it, I suppose it is possible, but not in our home or car, or at shared social events.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:07 AM

7,048 posts, read 4,942,863 times
I wouldn't be friends with someone who used illegal substances. There's too many opportunities for them to get you in trouble and that kind of trouble I don't need.

I am friends with someone who smoked and then quit. I even go over to her house weekends to work on our dollhouses, but it's gag inducing sometimes because her husband still smokes and the smell? God! As soon as I come home, I have to strip off all my clothing, even my undergarments and socks, and then go wash my hair because the smell is so bad. I don't even like to stop anyplace on the way home, because people have commented about how I smell like cigarette smoke after I've been to visit my friend.

I never told her, but once she gave me a couple boxes of kleenex when I ran out and I got home and had to toss them. Even wrapped, the cigarette smoke went right into the kleenexes. She offered to let me do laundry at her house when I didn't have a wash machine once. After the first time, I went back to the laundromat because my clothes came out of her dryer smelling like cigarette smoke.

She's a good friend, but I draw the line at being friends with someone who smokes. I could never, ever date or marry someone who was a smoker. I wouldn't be friends with someone who got drunk on a regular basis, either.

Old 09-22-2018, 05:18 AM

6,807 posts, read 4,505,580 times
I smoked for forty years. Quit about ten years ago. I can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. I have friends and relatives who smoke, but they aren't permitted to smoke in my home or car. They're fine with that. If they're smoking outside, and it bothers me, I'll move away, and I'm fine with that.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:10 AM

26,706 posts, read 41,855,063 times
I smoke pot, drink excessively, and smoke cigs (trying to quit that one) and i have a lot of friends who do none of the above and we are cool together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships