Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 01:20 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,797,441 times

Advertisements

I would not go out and seek smoking friends, but I did have a friend who smoked until she died in her early 90's but I wasn't around her much at the end years of her life for sure. We had our talks in earlier yrs of friendship but she was not about to stop smoking. We had enough interests to stay friends.

My daughter married a smoker, sadly he died at 55, didn't see his kids graduate high school or enter colleges. sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 05:54 PM

15,877 posts, read 21,475,194 times
Not anymore. The smell is too much. Smokers never think they smell. They do - or maybe I just have a sensitive nose. I briefly dated a smoker who never smoked around me, but my clothes and hair would smell after spending time with him because of the ambient smoke smell in his car and apartment.

I have a few coworkers who smoke and you can smell them coming down the hall. We're a fragrance-free office but for some reason won't reprimand the very small handful of coworkers who smell of smoke.

I'll admit, a big part of my disdain is that my only risk factor for developing stage IV cancer at 23 was exposure to 2nd hand smoke as a kid. I have ZERO patience for smokers who expose others to harm.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:39 PM

17,615 posts, read 13,410,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
If you are a non-smoker/user, could you intentionally associate, even be friends with a smoker, vaper, dipper, et cetera? Drug user? Weed user? Edibles eaters? The list goes on.
I don't smoke. I have friends who smoke (they are considerate enough to not smoke around us)

I will not associate with drug or cannabis users. I have a professional medical license and a CCW that would be impacted by associating with a felon.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:05 PM

19,435 posts, read 15,281,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenHighways View Post
I'm a smoker and only associate with other smokers. I find non-smokers to be alien like.
I'm a non-smoker and I almost feel the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I know plenty of non smokers. I'm friends with plenty of non smokers. They just don't go outside with me when I light up. LOL
I do go out with smokers. But you have to come back in when I want a drink.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:02 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,018,956 times
Could I? In my experience, they often make it hard... exhaling smoke in other's faces, smoking too close to open doors or windows or lighting up before they close the door to shield others from smoke. The tenant downstairs sits on the stairs that come up to my door & smokes all hours of the day/night, cuz I can smell it coming underneath the door. I despise that his addiction affects my life.

I have asthma, so am careful to guard my breathing. I've made the mistake of going to people's homes before asking about the possibility of smokers (I do now), where they've had a house filled with chain smokers & I felt I needed to go to the hospital when I left.

It's bad enough that smokers wreak... I don't want to, also. If I ate garlic or another food or drink others didn't like, I might have the smell of it on my breath, but the other person wouldn't leave the room smelling like fish or garlic until they took a bath & washed their clothing. With smoking, it affects everyone in the room & in a negative way. I've finally reached an age where I wouldn't remain in a smoky environment, just to be polite... I'd leave.

So, I guess my answer is no, not any longer. Don't wish them ill, but they're habit makes me ill. I'm also an active person, so I'd venture to guess most smokers aren't runners, swimmers, hikers, etc., so we'd have nothing in common to do together anyway. I also once dated a smoker in my 20s. I was too polite to speak up for myself & suffered through headaches & asthma & his berating me for "having" asthma. No need to ever go through that again. There are plenty of smokers on the planet other smokers can date.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:20 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,515,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Can we count drinkers? (Cause I'm a smoker.)

Yes, I can be friends. Unless they're ignorant drinkers.
I don't think I can be friends with people who don't drink wine.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:22 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,515,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
I'm an ex-smoker so I like to smell the smoke from smokers.

omg me TOO.
I love the smell of it...to a point. Just to stand next to someone who smokes and smell the fumes for a few seconds. lol
But that's about it. Then it gets gross.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:52 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,604,786 times
I can understand being friends with a smoker, but marrying one? I don't know how a non-smoker could do it. I flat-out refuse to go out on a date with anyone who smokes. No smokers, dopers or alcoholics has been a hard and fast rule my entire life. Even if a relationship doesn't work out, at least my clothes and home don't stink.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:10 AM

23,245 posts, read 29,098,666 times
I'm a smoker and, for comfort reasons, I prefer to hang around other smokers. I just get too nervous being around non-smokers, as courteous as I may be with them.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:02 AM

19,853 posts, read 9,418,708 times
NO -- because cigarette and cigar smoke makes me literally nauseated. However, I could be -- and I am -- friendly with smokers, but it's just not to the point of being around them for any great amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships