Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 07:34 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,091,284 times

Advertisements

One of my best friends smokes, so yes. I also have friends who smoke weed occasionally and socially drink alcohol. I do none of those things, but it doesn't bother me. Idt I could marry a smoker, that would be different.

I don't have any friends who do hard drugs like meth, cocaine, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2018, 10:12 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,765,108 times
I don't really like to be around people when they're high or drunk so I don't generally spend time with people who use drugs or get really drunk. I can't stand to be around cigarette smoke, but I'd be happy to be friends with a smoker if I never had to breathe any second-hand smoke.

However, if I were single, I would never date a smoker. I did that once and his lungs were compromised such that he couldn't do the outdoor activities I like to do. So, no.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:54 AM

10,942 posts, read 7,490,269 times
I can be friends with them, but I don't want to breathe the smoke.

Funny how some addictive substances (tea, cola, coffee, alcohol) are acceptable, others (tobacco) are frowned upon, and some are horrifying (I can see avoiding heroin addicts, but pot smokers? Ya gotta chillax, dude.)

Old 09-24-2018, 11:57 AM

15,896 posts, read 21,516,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I can be friends with them, but I don't want to breathe the smoke.

Funny how some addictive substances (tea, cola, coffee, alcohol) are acceptable, others (tobacco) are frowned upon, and some are horrifying (I can see avoiding heroin addicts, but pot smokers? Ya gotta chillax, dude.)

Tea, soda, coffee, and other addictions don't impact anyone other than yourself in the immediate. Of course any addiction can lead to bad behavior, but only smoking harms others even in moderation.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:04 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,017,651 times
I'm a nonsmoker, and I would rather associate with any smoker than a holier-than-thou nonsmoker such as some of the posters on this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post53057225

Old 09-24-2018, 01:12 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,822,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
If you are a non-smoker/user, could you intentionally associate, even be friends with a smoker, vaper, dipper, et cetera? Drug user? Weed user? Edibles eaters? The list goes on.
Yes, have been sitting right next to a smoker....Many times. I quit in 2013 though.....

Old 09-24-2018, 01:20 PM

15,896 posts, read 21,516,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm a nonsmoker, and I would rather associate with any smoker than a holier-than-thou nonsmoker such as some of the posters on this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post53057225

So, your mother's overeating created a scenario where she developed stage IV cancer. While it emotionally hurt you, it was damage to her body that killed her.

My parents' and other relatives' secondhand smoke, of which I had no choice in the matter, created a scenario where I developed stage IV cancer. It may have emotionally hurt them, it damaged MY body and almost killed me before I turned 25 years old.

I'm totally cool being holier-than-thou about not physically hurting other people.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:48 PM

6,624 posts, read 6,577,004 times
I guess it all comes down to personal choice of friends, but let me tell you, if one of my smoking friends quit smoking and gave me up as a friend BECAUSE I still smoke, then shame on me! I was duped into believing all along that they were true friends.

I honestly don't think ANY of my friends would abandon me JUST because I smoke.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:06 PM

4,138 posts, read 4,544,896 times
why do I have that ole Commander Cody tune in my head, "sorry but, I only get off on 100 millimeter, cigarettes"... Hate cigarette smoke but, no hate for the smoker. No issue with folks who drink or partake of the evil weed (unless it's habitual/compulsive). We all have vices and those who don't, I don't trust.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:51 PM

17,154 posts, read 13,017,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
So, your mother's overeating created a scenario where she developed stage IV cancer. While it emotionally hurt you, it was damage to her body that killed her.

My parents' and other relatives' secondhand smoke, of which I had no choice in the matter, created a scenario where I developed stage IV cancer. It may have emotionally hurt them, it damaged MY body and almost killed me before I turned 25 years old.

I'm totally cool being holier-than-thou about not physically hurting other people.
You don't know that. How can you be sure that your parents caused you cancer? You can't. Many people claim that they got cancer from someone else's secondhand smoke, and although it is a noxious substance and people love to blame smokers and smoking for absolutely everything, it is impossible to determine whether the smoke caused you cancer or whether you would have gotten cancer anyway. The evidence that secondhand smoke causes disease is much weaker than firsthand smoke, and cancer has a large genetic component.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships