Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 02:44 PM

17,758 posts, read 9,208,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Of course you are free to disagree and I am with you. This is getting nowhere as no one really know why the OP's friend was upset with him -- there is no firm evidence until the friend states why. It's all conjecture and your own postings are full of presumptions. So why you initiated this posting about speculation is beyond me.

I stand by my inference: "a conclusion reached on the basis of evidence and reasoning",i.e., the OP's statements and reason.

What are you trying to prove with all this calling out of speculation postings?
The difference between my speculation and your speculation is that there's arguably some evidence that yours is incorrect.

Not sure why you're picking a fight with me, but I'd suggest that we agree to disagree as the thread is getting derailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
How do you figure? It's clear that by the OP giving the response he gave, that he values who he's in a relationship with, and thinks what his friend is doing is wrong.
I agree that he values the relationship. He wouldn't have started the thread if he didn't.

Whether or not he thinks what his friend is doing is wrong is debatable (and, frankly, irrelevant). The OP's actions are the real issue. As I've said, I believe the OP was well aware he was pushing the guy's buttons. He was not surprised at all as to why the guy was upset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 02:51 PM

DK, you've mentioned in other threads that you have friends that go out of their way to get a rise out of you (with their political comments). What I'm saying is that I believe the OP was doing something similar.

Old 10-17-2019, 02:51 PM

3,146 posts, read 1,603,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The difference between my speculation and your speculation is that there's arguably some evidence that yours is incorrect.

Not sure why you're picking a fight with me, but I'd suggest that we agree to disagree as the thread is getting derailed.

I agree that he values the relationship. He wouldn't have started the thread if he didn't.

Whether or not he thinks what his friend is doing is wrong is debatable (and, frankly, irrelevant). The OP's actions are the real issue. As I've said, I believe the OP was well aware he was pushing the guy's buttons. He was not surprised at all as to why the guy was upset.
Or, it may be your reasoning is faulty as I have already provided reasoning of how all statements are congruent.

So now a rebuttal to a poster who needlessly called out my post as speculation is "picking a fight"????

If you don't want to derail the thread, I suggest this be the last post on the subject.

Last edited by Maddie104; 10-17-2019 at 03:17 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 03:01 PM

3,730 posts, read 1,321,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
DK, you've mentioned in other threads that you have friends that go out of their way to get a rise out of you (with their political comments). What I'm saying is that I believe the OP was doing something similar.

True, I have. But I honestly don't think he meant to **** the guy off. Maybe this is something he'd have no issue telling any of his friends; basically a "give-it-to-you-straight" kind of guy. Perhaps he's very blunt and it came out standoffish? Or maybe he did and is really good at trying to play it off.

Old 10-17-2019, 05:34 PM

728 posts, read 1,676,997 times
I’ve spent enough time with this guy to know he felt lonely and desired an intimate romantic relationship. When he told me of his relationship I was genuinely happy. When I asked about a woman he had seen that was recently divorced, he told me he had not let her know that he moved on. He mentioned that he felt she “couldn’t take it.” He also assured me that woman #1 had little chance of meeting #2. I felt that was interesting considering they only live 20 miles apart and life provides all kinds of uncertainties. I wondered why he could be so sure.

I did text the friend today and apologized for offering my opinion on his relationships, hoping we could talk later and move on. He texted back a smart a$$ response that he hoped that I could walk without difficulty someday after our difficult hike. I deleted it and moved on. Imo, he’s pretty much an a$$

Old 10-17-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
I did text the friend today and apologized for offering my opinion on his relationships, hoping we could talk later and move on. He texted back a smart a$$ response that he hoped that I could walk without difficulty someday after our difficult hike. I deleted it and moved on. Imo, he’s pretty much an a$$
Hmm. You sure he wasn't just busting your chops?

Old 10-17-2019, 07:40 PM

1,056 posts, read 726,955 times
I've only ever had one friend, Anthony, that ever threatened me with ending the friendship. This was in 2014, so I was in 5th and 6th grades.

I had a crush on another guy, Blaine, that I was friends with (though I didn't know that at the time). I spent more time with Blaine even though he treated me like dirt when the other male bullies were around (he was kind and affectionate to me otherwise).

Every time I tried to tame the bullies and/or get even closer to Blaine, Anthony would threaten to cut off our friendship; while this scared me into compliance, it was because I feared mistreatment and disapproval from the school administration (which I already had) and my parents, not because I was interested in Anthony (I never was). I still did my best to find loopholes and do things with Blaine/to tame the bullies behind Anthony's (and the school administration's) back. I never had much in common with Anthony anyways, and my grandmother always got the impression that he was there to use my toys/other things rather than me as a person.

Eventually, Anthony even realized how I truly felt about Blaine. Like the school administration, he eventually paid mom a visit and told her that he wouldn't stand for a boy dating/marrying another boy. While their suspicions were true, I didn't know that at the time, and mom refused to listen to their prejudice.

So here's some advice: I had a friend who threatened me that way once, and he was one of the worst (if not THE WORST) friends I ever had.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:06 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,791,588 times
Do I understand this correctly?

Two middle aged camping/hiking buddies got on a hiking/camping trip. During some "guy talk" the friend shares his dating situation. The friend overreacts to what the OP says and later apologizes.

The situation is over and done with. No need to add drama.

Go plan your next hike together.

Old 10-25-2019, 03:03 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
The fact that he was so defensive over yo ur rightful point suggests to me there could be some issues going on. I'd continue the friendship, but it would probably make me wary about his character. Lashing out because you don't like being questioned is kind of a red flag for me when I interact with other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships