Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 01:51 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
What does your husband say about all this? Are they close relatives of his or joint friends of both of you? It would make a huge difference if they were your husband's aunt and uncle vs. second or third cousins vs. casual buddies that you knew from your college days vs. your very best friends who were Matron of Honor and Best Man at your wedding.

Good luck.

Personally, I don't see where the exact relationship matters because however they are in OP's life, they are clearly not particularly close - to the extent that OP was prepared to cancel the booking on them over this, and I'm sure OP recognized how that would have impacted the relationship, and knows that not agreeing to let them stay again after this will have a similar chilling effect. But if it's not a warm relationship in the first place (regardless of whether they are friends, in-laws, 3rd cousins, etc), then presumably that doesn't matter to OP, as is their right.

In any case, OP, after making them jump through the hoops, I would let them stay this time. However, if they bring up a future week, I would dodge the question while they are staying there and wait until after they have left on time and hopefully with everything intact - obviously if they left it a mess or anything like that, they'd desire eternal radio silence on any future requests.

However, otherwise, I think the best approach is to say that you are not booking anything but paying guests until 30 days, 2 weeks, last minute, whatever feels appropriate for you. Yes, that means that they can't plan their trip a full year in advance or whatever, but why should you have to underwrite that? I actually think a "friends and family discount" is a better way to go, where you would let people book further ahead but paying a price that covers at least some of your costs, but it's clear that your mate thinks that would reflect poorly on you so seems like that is off the table.

So I'd go with telling them they can check with you [30 days] ahead and you'll let them know availability then. And in this case, gee, what a shame, already booked! will end up being a perpetual answer for this particular group, but I think it's still a good precedent to start with all of your family and friends who might ask to use any of your rentals. And even if these friends ask around, they'll find out that others are getting the same answer about booking any of your rentals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 01:58 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
And if the place is trashed and you’re not ready for a 3pm check in then what? This isn’t a hotel.. it’s a home and it takes longer to properly clean a home than it does to clean a hotel room.

If 24 hrs between guests effect your profit that drastically maybe you need to rethink your processes. But hey, if it’s working for you then keeping doing it. I just want to make sure my units are **** and span and clean as a whistle before anyone steps inside.
Many places follow this model. For example Disney vacation club has a noon checkout and 4pm checkin and has spacious 3-bedroom villas. In my experience, they are usually available at close to 4pm. We have had some difficulty- like last time we had an issue, but typically the room is ready to go in that turnover time.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:03 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Personally, I don't see where the exact relationship matters because however they are in OP's life, they are clearly not particularly close - to the extent that OP was prepared to cancel the booking on them over this, and I'm sure OP recognized how that would have impacted the relationship, and knows that not agreeing to let them stay again after this will have a similar chilling effect. But if it's not a warm relationship in the first place (regardless of whether they are friends, in-laws, 3rd cousins, etc), then presumably that doesn't matter to OP, as is their right.

In any case, OP, after making them jump through the hoops, I would let them stay this time. However, if they bring up a future week, I would dodge the question while they are staying there and wait until after they have left on time and hopefully with everything intact - obviously if they left it a mess or anything like that, they'd desire eternal radio silence on any future requests.

However, otherwise, I think the best approach is to say that you are not booking anything but paying guests until 30 days, 2 weeks, last minute, whatever feels appropriate for you. Yes, that means that they can't plan their trip a full year in advance or whatever, but why should you have to underwrite that? I actually think a "friends and family discount" is a better way to go, where you would let people book further ahead but paying a price that covers at least some of your costs, but it's clear that your mate thinks that would reflect poorly on you so seems like that is off the table.

So I'd go with telling them they can check with you [30 days] ahead and you'll let them know availability then. And in this case, gee, what a shame, already booked! will end up being a perpetual answer for this particular group, but I think it's still a good precedent to start with all of your family and friends who might ask to use any of your rentals. And even if these friends ask around, they'll find out that others are getting the same answer about booking any of your rentals
Yes this is very much in line with my thinking. Suddenly our place is booked ALL the time and (oh by the way) we have to cover costs with a nominal nightly fee due to rising taxes.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:16 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
The OP may not have warm feelings toward these people, but the OP's mate might. That can complicate things (and even more so if these people are family, as the OP will still be interacting with them in the future).

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Yes this is very much in line with my thinking. Suddenly our place is booked ALL the time and (oh by the way) we have to cover costs with a nominal nightly fee due to rising taxes.
If the friends in question are merely moochers, having to pay even a reduced nightly fee will likely send them scurrying. It's a good way to tactfully end the abuse of your generosity. And if they are actually willing to pay, then there's no real problem.

Old 01-22-2020, 08:36 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Personally, I don't see where the exact relationship matters because however they are in OP's life, they are clearly not particularly close
But yet, the OP lets them stay in their vacation rental for free for a week during the busiest time of the year? It doesn't seem like something one would do for casual acquaintances. Otherwise, you would constantly be giving away free vacations to anyone and everyone.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:14 PM

17,757 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But yet, the OP lets them stay in their vacation rental for free for a week during the busiest time of the year? It doesn't seem like something one would do for casual acquaintances. Otherwise, you would constantly be giving away free vacations to anyone and everyone.
None of it makes any sense.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:36 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Exactly. I’m not about to lose $2,000 for freeloaders... disrespectful freeloaders at that.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:57 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
None of it makes any sense.
It makes sense when the vacationers are probably acquaintances/friends/family of OP's mate, and mate has trouble saying "No." There have been a couple of threads about mate's tendency to say "Yes" out of obligation (maybe in part because of his culture) when OP has reservations or a desire to say "No".

Nonetheless, I think those acquaintances/friends/family have some nerve to expect to stay in OP's home uninvited especially when they've been allowed to stay for a week for free at OP's lake house. Surely they can pony out for a motel room for one night.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:04 PM

253 posts, read 1,182,255 times
Out of curiosity, is this trip still on or did your friends have to cancel due to the current situation?

Old 03-25-2020, 07:14 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokipenelope View Post
Out of curiosity, is this trip still on or did your friends have to cancel due to the current situation?
Nope they are still coming as are the majority of our guests. The house is fairly isolated and we have people who are using it for "social distance." The reservations this thread refers to are in the summer so at this point we don't have cancellations. The only people who have been cancelling seem to be retired couples and those who are in some kind of health risk situation. Lots of bookings right behind them. The state has not restricted all travel/businesses etc. Not yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships