Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2020, 02:48 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,660,299 times

Advertisements

With most of the suggestions you won't be sure they leave on time until they actually leave.

I would email and tell them since they didn't reply you rented it for the week they were planning on coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 05:59 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,081,026 times
You are offering them a gift worth well over $1,000.

I also like the idea of canceling their visit.
I think they are beyond rude.

That said I might ponder on one more simple email (that has few words) and then “hopefully” they don’t answer for 2 days then slam them with the cancellation.

That would totally justify it and make you feel better.
Good luck.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:27 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,163,579 times
OP, are these relatives or friends of your husband? If yes, what does he think about this matter?

Old 01-13-2020, 10:23 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
You are offering them a gift worth well over $1,000.

I also like the idea of canceling their visit.
I think they are beyond rude.

That said I might ponder on one more simple email (that has few words) and then “hopefully” they don’t answer for 2 days then slam them with the cancellation.

That would totally justify it and make you feel better.
Good luck.
Good suggestion, as it allows them to come up with a way to meet the OP’s schedule. If no satisfactory reply from them, they cannot say they weren’t warned (twice).

Old 01-13-2020, 10:56 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Good suggestion, as it allows them to come up with a way to meet the OP’s schedule. If no satisfactory reply from them, they cannot say they weren’t warned (twice).
Or even better: say that the OP has to cancel the offer as a lot of paying guests begging her to rent the place on those dates.

Old 01-13-2020, 10:58 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This offer is made for her benefit, not as a gift to the freeloaders.

If this gives the OP peace of mind, I don't get the resistance.
Guess you are not familiar with personal the liability insurance then...
Those people are ungrateful and uncouth.. if some accident happens on the way to the airport, etc - the OP could be sued...
The OP is already exposed to those things by letting them stay...why risk it more?
The visitors could afford airplane tickets- they should be able to afford to make their own arrangements

For some even wealthy people it is like a sport: what could they get for free? It seems sweeter to them...they pride themselves on getting free stuf and bragging about it..
I have met some people like that: find it deplorable

Last edited by Nik4me; 01-13-2020 at 11:07 AM..

Old 01-14-2020, 08:31 AM

669 posts, read 321,303 times
Probably the best way to have done this was to use online booking service, and modifying the cost for that period. That way the dates are explicit.

They're definitely discounting you as an authority figure. Maybe 'swallow' what you can this time around and then remove them from any future stays.

Old 01-14-2020, 08:36 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Guess you are not familiar with personal the liability insurance then...
Those people are ungrateful and uncouth.. if some accident happens on the way to the airport, etc - the OP could be sued...
The OP is already exposed to those things by letting them stay...why risk it more?
The visitors could afford airplane tickets- they should be able to afford to make their own arrangements

For some even wealthy people it is like a sport: what could they get for free? It seems sweeter to them...they pride themselves on getting free stuf and bragging about it..
I have met some people like that: find it deplorable
I posted that the transportation was for the benefit of the OP. Are you saying something different than I did that you're arguing with me?

Old 01-16-2020, 07:17 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
The proper immediate response is that we will depart on xx; we are looking into other arrangements. There is no need to delay response as the issue is when they will vacate the property; not what other arrangements they are making.

The OP deserves an immediate response to assure her that they will be vacating the property. She shouldn't be left hanging. At this point the OP is preparing a follow-up (which she shouldn't have to do) and asked for ways to handle so a firm follow-up is in order.
If it were me, I'd be sending a second message:

As you have not responded, I assume you no longer wish to stay at our lake house and have opened it up for other guests to reserve.

Perhaps another time.

Best wishes,

XXX

Old 01-16-2020, 07:36 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
If it were me, I'd be sending a second message:

As you have not responded, I assume you no longer wish to stay at our lake house and have opened it up for other guests to reserve.

Perhaps another time.

Best wishes,

XXX

With "another time" = "NEVER!!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships