Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2020, 02:35 PM

4,061 posts, read 2,138,868 times

Advertisements

Just curious---do these friends do anything to thank you--like come with a gift, send a gift after, take you out to eat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 06:05 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,571,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
just an update. We heard nothing from these guests so followed up with an email saying that we were unable to host due to the confusion about the dates/were opening the house up to paying guests. this garnered an immediate and rather desperate flurry of calls to my husband and myself. The guests have changed their departure and sent us their ticket confirmation for the appropriate dates.

its clear that the entire purpose of the ",misunderstanding " was to get an extra night for free. We are now debating whether or not just to cancel as threatened or allow these guests to stay. It would definitely be the last stay.
wow.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:44 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Just an update. We heard nothing from these guests so followed up with an email saying that we were unable to host due to the confusion about the dates/were opening the house up to paying guests. This garnered an immediate and rather desperate flurry of calls to my husband and myself. The guests have changed their departure and sent us their ticket confirmation for the appropriate dates.

Its clear that the entire purpose of the ",misunderstanding " was to get an extra night for free. We are now debating whether or not just to cancel as threatened or allow these guests to stay. It would definitely be the last stay.
Wow, so they were gaming you. Now you know. Never again to those two!

Old 01-18-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Just an update. We heard nothing from these guests so followed up with an email saying that we were unable to host due to the confusion about the dates/were opening the house up to paying guests. This garnered an immediate and rather desperate flurry of calls to my husband and myself. The guests have changed their departure and sent us their ticket confirmation for the appropriate dates.

Its clear that the entire purpose of the ",misunderstanding " was to get an extra night for free. We are now debating whether or not just to cancel as threatened or allow these guests to stay. It would definitely be the last stay.
I think you have to after accepting their new departure date.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:42 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
I'd convey some version of... because of the confusion that continued, the lack of communication, you still cannot host them. You already know they are a risk. You already know they may overstay. They already let you know they are careless people, inconsiderate and thoughtless. I would wonder when they would leave after they were there and what condition they would leave the unit in.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:18 PM

17,749 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
I'd convey some version of... because of the confusion that continued, the lack of communication, you still cannot host them. You already know they are a risk. You already know they may overstay. They already let you know they are careless people, inconsiderate and thoughtless. I would wonder when they would leave after they were there and what condition they would leave the unit in.
They planned this YEARS in advance, and they've now changed their departure date as the OP requested.

Old 01-19-2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
They planned this YEARS in advance, and they've now changed their departure date as the OP requested.
And OP and mate said ok. Cancelling now is out of order.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:17 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
I don't see the years in advance plan. I see in post 22 that these people tried something similar last year and now trying to push their wishes again this year.

A guest's or tenant's or renter's desires for how and when to occupy one's property are not paramount. They are clear they are not good tenants or guests.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:35 AM

17,749 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
I don't see the years in advance plan.

Quote:
I agree 100% and even went so far as to draw up a schedule of fees for friends and family. My mate refused to implement it saying that it would make us look "cheap" and instead limited the amount of time that we allow others to use the space without us also joining them to months where its less popular with paying guests. These guests had asked years ago about this specific week and because it was so far in advance we were able to accommodate. Charging at a discounted rated would be a fantastic idea in my opinion. I do think people dont value what would actually not be affordable to many at market rate.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:08 AM

4,061 posts, read 2,138,868 times
OP, if the lake house is about an hour away from you and you are busy with your own life, how many times do you see these people when they are there for a week? I'd probably feel like they weren't coming to see me but just to get a cheap vacation. Would they come to visit if they had to pay for a week of hotel? Would they come to visit if you (your second home) wasn't in a nice locale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships