Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 09:56 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,674 times

Advertisements

We have a couple of short term rentals and one is a lake house we allow friends and family to enjoy when we can. I agreed to give a group a week during the summer with very specific dates. I recently learned they bought plane tickets (VERY early) for a day beyond what we offered. Both my mate and I were extremely clear as we have paid guests checking in on the morning of the day of that these guests are now saying they will also be staying on.

My mate said "you will have to find a hotel that night" and the group suggested that they stay with us (not nearby) due to the 'misunderstanding. " We will both be working and cannot accommodate them. We told them this and said "you can change your ticket or we can suggest a hotel near the lake house. Its early enough that both should be available. " No.word back yet except that they are excited to stay.

Its clear that these people think we should put them up and fo not want to incur a change fee for tickets. We sent dates in writing and spoke verbally. I'm about to withdraw the entire invitation. How would you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 10:02 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,242,123 times
A hotel for one night is not a big deal. Just be clear, again, that you have already committed to paying guests and that you just cannot host them the additional night.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:03 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I would probably handle it much the same way you have handled most of the things your family does.

Complain on the internet about it.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would probably handle it much the same way you have handled most of the things your family does.

Complain on the internet about it.
That is an uncharacteristic response from you, Diana. I'm surprised as you spend a lot of time trying to be helpful. I guess everyone is entitled to a bad day.

I did not say this was family. And certainly there are many many people who post about very intimate issues here. People seek out opinions in a forum such as this when they want a temperature check.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:14 AM

14,494 posts, read 12,128,212 times
Not intended to be unhelpful. In fact, I said I'd probably do the same thing you've done.

What else can you do?

Old 01-07-2020, 10:17 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,024,415 times
If they're not family, are they friends? And if they're friends you need better ones. A firm "NO" is warranted.
It's an oddball collection of people around you that seemingly constantly create these twisted scenarios.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:29 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
In don't know...if these were my friends I would be happy to have them stay a night with me because I enjoy spending time with them. But it appears you and your mate both work the night shift so I can see how that would be impossible. Still for my friends, I would let them stay in the house without me, because I like them.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:36 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,672,453 times
Resend the written notice of the dates you originally offered, along with the information (again) that paying guests have your vacation home reserved for the extra evening they want to stay.

Also, you are not available to host them overnight. I would suggest to them that if they are unwilling to get a hotel for the extra night, perhaps this vacation week should be off the table altogether.

Really tacky of them to do this. Personally I would not offer again.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
In don't know...if these were my friends I would be happy to have them stay a night with me because I enjoy spending time with them. But it appears you and your mate both work the night shift so I can see how that would be impossible. Still for my friends, I would let them stay in the house without me, because I like them.
Our lake house is not near our home and we don't get home until.very late in the evening. We will be in the middle of a project that ends that month so its just not possible for us to host them in our home during that time.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Resend the written notice of the dates you originally offered, along with the information (again) that paying guests have your vacation home reserved for the extra evening they want to stay.

Also, you are not available to host them overnight. I would suggest to them that if they are unwilling to get a hotel for the extra night, perhaps this vacation week should be off the table altogether.

Really tacky of them to do this. Personally I would not offer again.
I'm thinking of writing to them with reiterating the dates and saying "please give us your new flight information so that we can arrange transportation to the airport. Our maids come at 4pm ."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships