Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 11:27 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,672,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I'm thinking of writing to them with reiterating the dates and saying "please give us your new flight information so that we can arrange transportation to the airport. Our maids come at 4pm ."
It will probably cost more for them to change airline tix (unless flying Southwest) than pay for a hotel.

Yes, good idea to restate the dates and times. I would also adjust the maid arrival earlier (to them, anyway) so they are not still running around packing when the maid arrives. Just make clear approximately what the cost of transportation should be so they don’t expect you to pay.

We lived in a vacation spot and had a beach condo at one time. It is pretty surprising what people come to expect. One family was actually furious with us when we moved before they had their “annual vacation”!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 11:33 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,242,123 times
Why would you arrange their transportation back to the airport? You're already being pretty generous and they're taking advantage of it. Don't give them more opportunities to continue.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:40 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Wait, are these friends or not? I can't imagine taking that sort of tone with someone I cared about.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:41 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I'm thinking of writing to them with reiterating the dates and saying "please give us your new flight information so that we can arrange transportation to the airport. Our maids come at 4pm ."
I would not rescind the invitation completely.

I would reiterate the dates they can stay in the house, and that you're unable to host them the extra night. I'd then provide some recommendations for nearby hotels as a nice gesture and to reinforce your stance.

I certainly would not offer to arrange for their transportation to the airport - unless you're doing so because you're concerned they might overstay regardless of the impending guests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Wait, are these friends or not? I can't imagine taking that sort of tone with someone I cared about.
I can't imagine "friends" being so entitled and presumptuous.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:49 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Have the guests indicated they expected to be put up the extra night? It does not seem like they have. Maybe the group was using FF miles or something that could only be used on the days specified, so it made it much cheaper to pay for the hotel on the last night... sometimes I take a flight back first thing and would just stay near the airport. I would wait until I got a specific response about the plans first. It does not seem yet that they expect to be put up. They just said they would be in town x to y dates.

Old 01-07-2020, 11:58 AM

7,135 posts, read 4,546,769 times
These people are ungrateful.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Nor can I. I would never consider rescinding an offer with friends either.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:19 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Well, emotiioo is a perfectionist in an imperfect world filled with deeply flawed people. There's bound to be some friction.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:39 PM

50,815 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

Vacation houses are different, you have to be strict. Like OP said they have other people already staying there and these people are preparing to get there early, interrupting the end of their vacation. My ex and I used to rent a beach house for the summer with a group of about 8-10 friends. Some people would be full time, while others were part-time, meaning they came every other weekend normally. The part time people would occasionally not be able to make it for one of their weekends, so they'd try to come the weekend after. Well you can't do that, because the other part-time person who is splitting that bedroom with you will be down that weekend. They would get mad but you have to hold firm.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:47 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
It will probably cost more for them to change airline tix (unless flying Southwest) than pay for a hotel.

Yes, good idea to restate the dates and times. I would also adjust the maid arrival earlier (to them, anyway) so they are not still running around packing when the maid arrives. Just make clear approximately what the cost of transportation should be so they don’t expect you to pay.

We lived in a vacation spot and had a beach condo at one time. It is pretty surprising what people come to expect. One family was actually furious with us when we moved before they had their “annual vacation”!
Yes we have to hold firm because we do use this as an income property. We are happy to host but as you have experienced, some guests get very entitled over time

I'd happily pay for a trip to the airport I'd it meant they were actually out of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships