Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2020, 10:21 AM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
Why do you feel the need to mention the maid?? Are you trying to sound better?

Everyone who rents a vacation home uses a cleaning service that comes in after each guest checks out and prepares the house for the next guest. It isn't maid as in personal servant the way you're thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 10:24 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,025,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Everyone who rents a vacation home uses a cleaning service that comes in after each guest checks out and prepares the house for the next guest. It isn't maid as in personal servant the way you're thinking.
Precisely.

Old 01-09-2020, 11:25 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,458,386 times
Quote:
Seriously???

Old 01-09-2020, 11:46 AM

6,820 posts, read 11,553,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I’ll add when you’ve got back to back renters scheduled it is imperative your guests are out of there on time because there is usually on a small (a few hours) window for the cleaners to get in to clean.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:07 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
OP, this theme of family or friends taking advantage of your offers for a place to stay keeps coming up. At the risk of stating the obvious, I'm inclined to suggest, that in the future, you not schedule your non-paying guests so tightly with the paying-guest schedule, but also, perhaps in general, you may have to be less generous with people. It's a sad fact, that there are people out there, who will take advantage of their "friends' " or relatives' generosity. This can occur enough times, that one begins to wonder if these are true friends. I empathize with you, because I like to be giving with friends, but the results have been, that I've learned who my true friends are, and which people are not such authentic friends.

Anyway, you don't owe these people a solution to a problem THEY have caused; you don't owe them a homestay at your place. Given the circumstances, you have no choice but to courteously but firmly insist they stay in a hotel. I'm sure you've received excellent advice from the other posters, on that score.

Best wishes for the current situation, and the future.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:15 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Context is everything. She mentioned it in a proposed message to the friends, as a way of pointing out, that the house was scheduled for cleaning the afternoon of their departure. It was mentioned as a way of reiterating the point that they need to be out of the house on the day originally specified.

It's quite common for people to use a professional cleaning crew for rental units with high occupancy turnover.

Old 01-09-2020, 01:27 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Did they ever respond to your original message, OP?

Old 01-09-2020, 02:37 PM

192 posts, read 133,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
we had a vacation home that we did not rent out and rarely let anyone stay there for free. It can get awkward if there is damage to your home, someone gets injured, etc. Do you want to be filing an insurance claim for these non-paying guests? They may claim you were negligent in some way.
This is the best reason to say “no”, in whatever polite way you think best.

Old 01-09-2020, 03:45 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,612,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I think you missed the part about cultural differences.
I did see that, however, I think even people with cultural differences can recognize when they are being taken advantage of. If someone wanted to offer this as a one-time generous gift to a family member or friend, that would be different than this becoming the expectation where they're just going to get a free vacation pad to come and go as they please. If they're going to do that, then they can purchase it, maintain it, pay the property taxes and insurance on it, etc.

The question for OP to ask is how is this generosity reciprocated? If he's having a hard time answering that, then he is being taken advantage of.

Someone mentioned that the OPs question wasn't answered, but I think if you've already committed to certain dates, the answer could be: "Unfortunately we're not able to accommodate you through those dates, and you will need to leave by __________. I'm sure you'll understand and find a hotel that will work for you. Kisses."

Old 01-09-2020, 03:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post

I did see that, however, I think even people with cultural differences can recognize when they are being taken advantage of.
They can see it, but her husband is the one whose "cultural differences" won't allow him to "allow her" to make the changes that conventional wisdom suggests in these kinds of conflicts.

So these posts mostly serve as an outlet for frustration.

The OP's question WAS answered: She actually asked how we would handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships