Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2020, 08:01 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
With "another time" = "NEVER!!!"
I would be real vague about matters in the future.

"We've had several inquiries about that week. Let me get back to you when we know more."

Which would be never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 07:54 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,071,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Great point. But (for easy argument) our email said "we are pleased you can spend some time at the lake house again this year. We have been able to reserve the first of the month through the 7th for your stay. We have guests leaving on the day before your stay and arriving the early morning of the 8th so please let us know what time your flights get in on the first/leave on the 7th so I can make sure the cleaning crew has done turnover. "
My guess is that they stopped reading at the bolded part and took it literally 'through the 7th' and not 'until the 7th'. Many people just don't read everything. Clearly they are at fault for not reading the entire email but in the future I would clearly state

Check-in: date and time
Check-out: date and time

at the beginning of the email.

For everyone, not just them.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:25 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
My guess is that they stopped reading at the bolded part and took it literally 'through the 7th' and not 'until the 7th'. Many people just don't read everything. Clearly they are at fault for not reading the entire email but in the future I would clearly state

Check-in: date and time
Check-out: date and time

at the beginning of the email.

For everyone, not just them.

Yes, I was thinking the wording might have caused some confusion, especially if English isn't their first language. They might have seen that they're staying "through the 7th" and that the next guests were arriving the 8th and thought they would leave early on the 8th.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:45 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,024,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, I was thinking the wording might have caused some confusion, especially if English isn't their first language. They might have seen that they're staying "through the 7th" and that the next guests were arriving the 8th and thought they would leave early on the 8th.
Makes sense, but supposedly these are friends/family members, probably of her "mate" if history is any indication, so the language barrier (if it exists) wouldn't apply.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:26 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Makes sense, but supposedly these are friends/family members, probably of her "mate" if history is any indication, so the language barrier (if it exists) wouldn't apply.
The check-in and check-out date format would be better, but it is odd how there’s been no follow-up on this dangling dispute. Did the purported guests ever reply back with what they’ll do? This seems to be a theme in “the history.â€

Old 01-18-2020, 10:38 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Her "mate's" family is from Argentina, but even if these friends don't have a language barrier, her wording did leave some things open for "interpretation."

Old 01-18-2020, 10:51 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
When my late husband was in law school all the professors said "Never give away free legal services. Always write the actual bill and then tell them that they save a certain percentage due to Family and Friends discount". The professors said that when people got things for free they often didn't appreciate them as much as if they paid something for the services. And, if they did not know the real cost they might not know how much a bargain you are giving them.

Perhaps you can tell your friends "Normally we charge $700 plus a $200 cleaning fee (or whatever) for a weeks stay at our vacation home but because you are our dear friend we will only charge you the cleaning fee (or a certain percentage of the costs)"
I had a prof say the same thing to a class I took in grad school. People often do not value the free service. I trust the OP has solved this problem by now.

Old 01-18-2020, 12:47 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,674 times
Just an update. We heard nothing from these guests so followed up with an email saying that we were unable to host due to the confusion about the dates/were opening the house up to paying guests. This garnered an immediate and rather desperate flurry of calls to my husband and myself. The guests have changed their departure and sent us their ticket confirmation for the appropriate dates.

Its clear that the entire purpose of the ",misunderstanding " was to get an extra night for free. We are now debating whether or not just to cancel as threatened or allow these guests to stay. It would definitely be the last stay.

Old 01-18-2020, 01:56 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,062,873 times
Thank you for the update. I always wonder what happens in these threads.

Old 01-18-2020, 02:16 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Its clear that the entire purpose of the ",misunderstanding " was to get an extra night for free. We are now debating whether or not just to cancel as threatened or allow these guests to stay. It would definitely be the last stay.
I'd allow the stay, since you did originally make the offer and because you now know they did change their plane tickets and won't be overstaying - but make it the last one. In the future, no one stays for free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships