Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2020, 06:27 AM

17,326 posts, read 22,073,418 times

Advertisements

I owned a beachfront townhouse for years near a tourist town that had a bi-annual event. I avoided the area those two weeks but my buddy loved to go there for it. I let him stay at my place for free, it was fine but he never returned the key, kept it for years and said "its good to have it so I don't forget to bring it" (meaning when he stays there).

Not a problem, I sold the unit! ....... not due to him, but I did learn not to loan out your house to your friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2020, 10:04 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
These people who are staying gratis should be informed of how much their visit would cost if they were paying for the whole time, as the next group will be doing. This reminds me of what happens when you feed a stray cat. You'll be feeding it the next day and every day after that.
And all the other ferals will join it eventually, and make more ferals in places you don’t want them.

Old 01-11-2020, 10:36 AM

11,135 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
What I've seen is a one-week rental is 7 days - if you arrive on Sat. - you leave on Fri. Haven't done this for many, many years though - does one week constitute 7 days/6 nights or 8 days/7 nights? Interesting question.
The days that were stated are the dates available. What people did years ago in some other place has no bearing on what is happening now at this particular rental. The industry is huge now due to AirBNB and VRBO.

I own a vacation rental and people can rent from two nights to MANY nights, as long as they pay for every night. They can come in on a Tuesday and leave on Thursday. Our place is often booked solid with only the period from 10 am checkout to 4 pm check in available for cleaning. In the years that we have been hosting in this cabin and our previous cabin, the people that give us the most grief are our friends and family who want to overload the cabin with people, or don't respect the dates and times that you give them. They also don't seem to realize that you are gifting them hundreds of $$ worth of free vacation, and they just feel that since it's yours, it should always be free in spite of the fact that we have to pay cleaning people, utilities, and are forgoing other paying guests. In peak season, we can get over $300 a night for a weekend rental, so we are giving them a BIG gift, and they should be grateful and not ask for more freebies.

Last edited by TheShadow; 01-11-2020 at 11:33 AM..

Old 01-11-2020, 10:59 AM

11,135 posts, read 9,769,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I owned a beachfront townhouse for years near a tourist town that had a bi-annual event. I avoided the area those two weeks but my buddy loved to go there for it. I let him stay at my place for free, it was fine but he never returned the key, kept it for years and said "its good to have it so I don't forget to bring it" (meaning when he stays there).

Not a problem, I sold the unit! ....... not due to him, but I did learn not to loan out your house to your friends!
And to always get your key back! Who knows how many times he might have gone to stay there without your knowing it. Now days we use a keypad lock with changeable codes. We change the code every few months just to prevent anyone from the past letting themselves in and staying, or removing any property.

Old 01-11-2020, 11:53 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,458,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
The days that were stated are the dates available. What people did years ago in some other place has no bearing on what is happening now at this particular rental. The industry is huge now due to AirBNB and VRBO.

I own a vacation rental and people can rent from two nights to MANY nights, as long as they pay for every night. They can come in on a Tuesday and leave on Thursday. Our place is often booked solid with only the period from 10 am checkout to 4 pm check in available for cleaning. In the years that we have been hosting in this cabin and our previous cabin, the people that give us the most grief are our friends and family who want to overload the cabin with people, or don't respect the dates and times that you give them. They also don't seem to realize that you are gifting them hundreds of $$ worth of free vacation, and they just feel that since it's yours, it should always be free in spite of the fact that we have to pay cleaning people, utilities, and are forgoing other paying guests. In peak season, we can get over $300 a night for a weekend rental, so we are giving them a BIG gift, and they should be grateful and not ask for more freebies.
Yes the days for check in and out could be different based on different guests. We limit the number of nights anyone can stay but do not adhere to a "check in on Saturday/check out in Sunday" schedule. That seems to be thing if the past with Airbnb/VRBO etc.

Nonetheless these individuals know the exact dates the house is available. I know for certain they would not be able to afford the nightly rate we get during the month they want to stay. I don't know if reminding them of that will do anything to remedy this situation however.

I did leave a message and send a text yesterday asking how their plans were coming with re-bookiing tickets or finding another accommodation for the final night. So far no answer. My next step if I don't hear back in a few days is to say that our home is no longer available because we can't accommodate the days they've specified. That should get a reply.

Old 01-11-2020, 12:24 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
While I may chalk up the "misunderstanding" as an honest one on their part, I would definitely put my foot down as it was still their error. And I imagine that you're letting them use the guest house for free since you mention that actual "paid guests" will be there staying. If so, this makes their retort all the more ridiculous and unbelievable.

Some people may not see the big deal of you hosting them at your house for the final night, but if you are busy and otherwise preoccupied, it really is a big deal, especially as you'd be "expected" to play host and, even if not, their presence in itself can distract you from doing what you set out to do.

Moving on, while I think that withdrawing the invitation at this point may be a bit hasty, if they don't change up their attitudes quickly, you just might do so as they may try to mess things up for your paying guests out of spite (being extra dirty, leaving later than authorized, etc.).

Old 01-11-2020, 03:40 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Yes the days for check in and out could be different based on different guests. We limit the number of nights anyone can stay but do not adhere to a "check in on Saturday/check out in Sunday" schedule. That seems to be thing if the past with Airbnb/VRBO etc.

Nonetheless these individuals know the exact dates the house is available. I know for certain they would not be able to afford the nightly rate we get during the month they want to stay. I don't know if reminding them of that will do anything to remedy this situation however.

I did leave a message and send a text yesterday asking how their plans were coming with re-bookiing tickets or finding another accommodation for the final night. So far no answer. My next step if I don't hear back in a few days is to say that our home is no longer available because we can't accommodate the days they've specified. That should get a reply.
Sounds as if they are trying to control you by not responding. Don't let them. I'd also be tempted to cancel their "reservation" if they don't respond. Give them a deadline. No confirmation by then, no stay. Tell them you've re-booked the place. I wouldn't bother reminding them of the value of the deal they are getting...they know, which is why they aren't letting go of this. OTOH, you could send a final confirmation of the nights they have your permission to stay and inform them that cleaning staff will be showing up smartly at 6 am on that disputed final morning. If the cleaning staff can't do their work because they haven't vacated on time, they will need to reimburse you for the cleaners' time.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:13 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I may chalk up the "misunderstanding" as an honest one on their part, I would definitely put my foot down as it was still their error. And I imagine that you're letting them use the guest house for free since you mention that actual "paid guests" will be there staying. If so, this makes their retort all the more ridiculous and unbelievable.

Some people may not see the big deal of you hosting them at your house for the final night, but if you are busy and otherwise preoccupied, it really is a big deal, especially as you'd be "expected" to play host and, even if not, their presence in itself can distract you from doing what you set out to do.

Moving on, while I think that withdrawing the invitation at this point may be a bit hasty, if they don't change up their attitudes quickly, you just might do so as they may try to mess things up for your paying guests out of spite (being extra dirty, leaving later than authorized, etc.).
But she messaged and texted with no reply. That is so beyond rude. She's having to chase them down regarding plans of using her vacation home for free. Boggles the mind.

OP, how much would they have to pay for a hotel for one night? Is that really beyond their means, or?

Old 01-11-2020, 06:40 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,916,532 times
Can you tell them since you haven't heard from them and they didn't contact you to confirm you will have to rent to the next party on the list. (You might add .. if you don't hear from them by ...and very short time)

Frustrating if they don't stay and you have not been able then to fill the unit.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:52 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
But she messaged and texted with no reply. That is so beyond rude. She's having to chase them down regarding plans of using her vacation home for free. Boggles the mind.

OP, how much would they have to pay for a hotel for one night? Is that really beyond their means, or?
Oh yeah it's definitely behind rude. They are real pieces of work. I'm always disgusted when people try to take advantage of the others by behaving like entitled, spoiled brats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships