Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2020, 06:36 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,788 times

Advertisements

Re: the cleaners being on a tight schedule, you can ask your friends to do a few things to help speed things along. 1) Strip the beds and put the sheets in the washer and go ahead and start it and 2) start the dishwasher before they leave. That way, the cleaners only have to dry the sheets and put the dishes away vs. having to wait for those cycles to end. I don't think that's too much to ask of a guest. They could also be asked to empty the trashcans. I do all these things without being asked if I'm staying in someone's vacation home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 09:55 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times
I think the way you handled it in your OP is all that needs to be said to them. . They can't stay an extra night, you can't accommodate them at your home and if they need a hotel recommendation, to let you know. As they haven't responded, the rest is conjecture.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:40 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,969 times
Gosh, even leaving the day before your paid guests arrive seems problematic. Will the cleaning people be able to get in there and do what they need to do in time?

Old 01-10-2020, 12:26 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
I think the way you handled it in your OP is all that needs to be said to them. . They can't stay an extra night, you can't accommodate them at your home and if they need a hotel recommendation, to let you know. As they haven't responded, the rest is conjecture.
Yes, it seems like there is a whole lot of speculation about this when we have no idea what these friends are doing. They might be looking into changing their flights or other accommodations, but did not have time to do so immediately when they got the email.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:20 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
We don't rent out our vacay houses but we have the age-old problem of the houses being too nice and in great areas...and, of course, our old friends and family would rather meet and visit us THERE. But we also like the vacay houses and are somewhat loners........

In general we follow the 3 day rule for those "close friends" who aren't really close...who have the nerve to ask us to stay. For real friends we try to limit to about 5 nights (we stay at these places ourselves for 90+ nights per year). Even our family usually only stay 5 nights or so.

Just putting this out there.....in case others have similar situations. We also make it very clear that we are not here as guides or entertainers....which I think is a good thing. We tell them to just do whatever they want whenever they want. We may go out to eat with them once or twice in a 5 day period......

My wife had a "thing" with her mother where she loved her...but couldn't take being around her for too long. At one point she told her mom that she could only stay with us for about 5 days (mom was flying up from Florida and visiting her son also, who allowed her to stay longer). She accepted that....I'm sure she thought her daughter was "funny" about it, but she was not angry or anything.

Another general rule applies here. The older...or maybe the more enlightened...that people get, the more they say to themselves and others "I'm not going to do anything I don't want to do". I tend to think this way because I've been doing things for people (famlily, employees, etc.) for 45 years and I think I am entitled to "retire" from most such obligations unless they please me.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:42 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Our lake house is not near our home and we don't get home until.very late in the evening. We will be in the middle of a project that ends that month so its just not possible for us to host them in our home during that time.
Not to be mean but you need to learn an expression “ the road to hell paved with the good intentions”.

I am very sympathetic: you are nice, offered them a free vacation place, now you got problems.
Don’t you need an extra day to clean the place after your “friends” leave and prepare it for paying guests?
While you both working AND going through a project?

Reiterate that they must leave a day early- and can’t stay with you: shame on those people to even ask you about staying with you...
Tell them that if they won’t leave you have to charge them... insert an obscene amount of money for that night.

Hope, you will learn a lesson..and stop being so nice...
Let’s try it: can I come and stay in your lake house for a week? please?
Good luck.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:54 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,479 times
Quote:
Yes we have to hold firm because we do use this as an income property. We are happy to host but as you have experienced, some guests get very entitled over time

I'd happily pay for a trip to the airport I'd it meant they were actually out of the house.
Don’t you dare! Give yourself a breathing space and tell them they must be gone by 11 am that morning. Like the hotels do. The nerve those people have.
I would not have a problem if you rescind your offer. What if they damage anything? You have no time to fix it fir your paying guests..

Old 01-10-2020, 10:30 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:
We have a couple of short term rentals and one is a lake house we allow friends and family to enjoy when we can. I agreed to give a group a week during the summer with very specific dates. I recently learned they bought plane tickets (VERY early) for a day beyond what we offered. Both my mate and I were extremely clear as we have paid guests checking in on the morning of the day of that these guests are now saying they will also be staying on.

My mate said "you will have to find a hotel that night" and the group suggested that they stay with us (not nearby) due to the 'misunderstanding. " We will both be working and cannot accommodate them. We told them this and said "you can change your ticket or we can suggest a hotel near the lake house. Its early enough that both should be available. " No.word back yet except that they are excited to stay.

Its clear that these people think we should put them up and fo not want to incur a change fee for tickets. We sent dates in writing and spoke verbally. I'm about to withdraw the entire invitation. How would you handle it?

These people who are staying gratis should be informed of how much their visit would cost if they were paying for the whole time, as the next group will be doing. This reminds me of what happens when you feed a stray cat. You'll be feeding it the next day and every day after that.

Old 01-10-2020, 10:41 PM

17,758 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
These people who are staying gratis should be informed of how much their visit would cost if they were paying for the whole time, as the next group will be doing. This reminds me of what happens when you feed a stray cat. You'll be feeding it the next day and every day after that.
Steve, please don't compare opportunistic cheapskates to hungry cats (which you should feed).

Old 01-11-2020, 04:58 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,603,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yes, it seems like there is a whole lot of speculation about this when we have no idea what these friends are doing. They might be looking into changing their flights or other accommodations, but did not have time to do so immediately when they got the email.
The proper immediate response is that we will depart on xx; we are looking into other arrangements. There is no need to delay response as the issue is when they will vacate the property; not what other arrangements they are making.

The OP deserves an immediate response to assure her that they will be vacating the property. She shouldn't be left hanging. At this point the OP is preparing a follow-up (which she shouldn't have to do) and asked for ways to handle so a firm follow-up is in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships