Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2020, 05:23 AM

731 posts, read 768,804 times

Advertisements

OP I predict if you let them stay after all of this, they won't leave the home when they said they will. If they gamed you once, they'll do it again. Let us know how this works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 07:11 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,789 times
Since they went ahead and changed their departure date, I would allow them to stay in your rental property this time. But wouldn't make another offer ever again to let them stay for free.

Old 01-19-2020, 09:28 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,915,651 times
I'd add them to my very short 'bad list' for whenever I may need a reminder. I wouldn't have them now if it were I. If you felt pressured yourself ... definitely never again. Life's too short.

Old 01-19-2020, 10:00 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
I don't get all the hate for the friends. There was a misunderstanding on the dates, they asked to stay with the for the extra night (seems reasonable to want to visit with a friend when you've come all that way), but the OP demanded that they change their flight instead. They did so, and even sent proof to the OP.

Why kick them out now? They've done everything the OP wanted.

I guess to me there is just a disconnect to the OP calling these people friends and allowing them a free week at her vacation rental, but then acting like they're these horrible, scheming people that she doesn't want anything to do with.

Are they friends? Or are they your mate's family members that you dislike? The manscaping one maybe?

Old 01-19-2020, 04:28 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,024,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

I guess to me there is just a disconnect to the OP calling these people friends and allowing them a free week at her vacation rental, but then acting like they're these horrible, scheming people that she doesn't want anything to do with.

Are they friends? Or are they your mate's family members that you dislike? The manscaping one maybe?
I don't get it either. Makes it kind of hard to respond.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:21 PM

7,135 posts, read 4,546,769 times
I would let them come now but not in the future.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:25 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
OP, if the lake house is about an hour away from you and you are busy with your own life, how many times do you see these people when they are there for a week? I'd probably feel like they weren't coming to see me but just to get a cheap vacation. Would they come to visit if they had to pay for a week of hotel? Would they come to visit if you (your second home) wasn't in a nice locale?

We won't be able to see them much at all on this visit. Probably one afternoon which is what we have planned. In years past we were able to spend a few days during their visit but this year they are arriving when we are pretty much booked. I'm not under any illusions that they are coming to visit with us.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:28 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
OP I predict if you let them stay after all of this, they won't leave the home when they said they will. If they gamed you once, they'll do it again. Let us know how this works out.
This is what we are worried about....that they will overstay because of another "misunderstanding " or leave the place messy. It's a little tense right now because we kept asking about the dates. We don't have any intention of hosting them again especially at no charge.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:20 AM

3,146 posts, read 1,603,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
This is what we are worried about....that they will overstay because of another "misunderstanding " or leave the place messy. It's a little tense right now because we kept asking about the dates. We don't have any intention of hosting them again especially at no charge.
Apparently these people don't understand the right thing to do and I wouldn't host them under any circumstances. Even if there was a legitimate "misunderstanding" (which I don't think there was), the right thing for them to do would be to absorb any expense since you are generously allowing the use of the use of your home. Instead they put the onus on you for accommodating them the extra night and ignored your e-mail until you cancelled the reservation. Did they go ahead and change the flight after receiving your latest e-mail cancelling the reservation and without checking with you? If so, I would have no problem saying "unfortunately due to your delayed response to resolving the reservation dates, we have already made other arrangements for those dates." They brought the problem onto themselves causing a "tense" situation and ruined a good thing. Staying at your home was a privilege not a right.

P.S. I would also worry about something missing after their visit.

Last edited by Maddie104; 01-20-2020 at 05:04 AM..

Old 01-20-2020, 06:32 AM

731 posts, read 768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I agree with your thinking. It puzzles me that some people here take the side of the offenders. You are the nice person who offered this to them. It should not be a tense situation like they have created. I still say not to let them stay. Friends don't do this to friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships