Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 12:49 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times

Advertisements

Any vacation rentals I've come across are one week long. You arrive on Saturday and leave on Saturday. You don't get to choose to arrive on Friday or leave on Sunday.

The only exception is something like my friend's cottage which is winterized and they will rent to snowmobilers with more flexibility because winter is not in demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 12:51 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Vacation houses are different, you have to be strict. Like OP said they have other people already staying there and these people are preparing to get there early, interrupting the end of their vacation. My ex and I used to rent a beach house for the summer with a group of about 8-10 friends. Some people would be full time, while others were part-time, meaning they came every other weekend normally. The part time people would occasionally not be able to make it for one of their weekends, so they'd try to come the weekend after. Well you can't do that, because the other part-time person who is splitting that bedroom with you will be down that weekend. They would get mad but you have to hold firm.
Absolutely.

This group wanted to invite another family to join them last year. We said no because we don't know those people and it was going to be a lot of guests in the house at once. There was a little pushback on that "no." Now this year there us an extra day tacked on from what we said we could do. You do have to be very strict with a popular vacation spot. We feel we are pretty generous with what we provide. This group is staying when it would 100% be rented. And it's free accommodation for our guests. I do feel as though it's a little over the top to ask for more than is offered.

Old 01-07-2020, 02:01 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I'm thinking of writing to them with reiterating the dates and saying "please give us your new flight information so that we can arrange transportation to the airport. Our maids come at 4pm ."
I think this is perfect.

Old 01-07-2020, 02:06 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would probably handle it much the same way you have handled most of the things your family does.

Complain on the internet about it.

Old 01-07-2020, 02:35 PM

18,396 posts, read 19,027,378 times
Quote:
Absolutely.

This group wanted to invite another family to join them last year. We said no because we don't know those people and it was going to be a lot of guests in the house at once. There was a little pushback on that "no." Now this year there us an extra day tacked on from what we said we could do. You do have to be very strict with a popular vacation spot. We feel we are pretty generous with what we provide. This group is staying when it would 100% be rented. And it's free accommodation for our guests. I do feel as though it's a little over the top to ask for more than is offered.
Keep your boundaries. These people are users charge them next year

Old 01-07-2020, 03:12 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,795,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Any vacation rentals I've come across are one week long. You arrive on Saturday and leave on Saturday. You don't get to choose to arrive on Friday or leave on Sunday.

The only exception is something like my friend's cottage which is winterized and they will rent to snowmobilers with more flexibility because winter is not in demand.
What I've seen is a one-week rental is 7 days - if you arrive on Sat. - you leave on Fri. Haven't done this for many, many years though - does one week constitute 7 days/6 nights or 8 days/7 nights? Interesting question.

Old 01-07-2020, 03:22 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
We have a couple of short term rentals and one is a lake house we allow friends and family to enjoy when we can. I agreed to give a group a week during the summer with very specific dates. I recently learned they bought plane tickets (VERY early) for a day beyond what we offered. Both my mate and I were extremely clear as we have paid guests checking in on the morning of the day of that these guests are now saying they will also be staying on.

My mate said "you will have to find a hotel that night" and the group suggested that they stay with us (not nearby) due to the 'misunderstanding. " We will both be working and cannot accommodate them. We told them this and said "you can change your ticket or we can suggest a hotel near the lake house. Its early enough that both should be available. " No.word back yet except that they are excited to stay.

Its clear that these people think we should put them up and fo not want to incur a change fee for tickets. We sent dates in writing and spoke verbally. I'm about to withdraw the entire invitation. How would you handle it?
Not "guests" again! You either know or are related to a bunch of manipulators or you need to toughen up.

What other rentals do or don't do doesn't matter. Your terms should be your terms. If you can't stick to your terms, maybe the whole rental/guest house business wasn't a good choice. If they respond asking yet again, tell them once more that the last night wasn't and still isn't available and they can't stay with you. Period. You really have no just cause to complain if you let people walk all over you. What on earth is the problem?

Old 01-07-2020, 03:44 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,971,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Not "guests" again! You either know or are related to a bunch of manipulators or you need to toughen up.

What other rentals do or don't do doesn't matter. Your terms should be your terms. If you can't stick to your terms, maybe the whole rental/guest house business wasn't a good choice. If they respond asking yet again, tell them once more that the last night wasn't and still isn't available and they can't stay with you. Period. You really have no just cause to complain if you let people walk all over you. What on earth is the problem?
I know she can seem annoying but I think she's just starting a conversation. She's not letting anyone walk all over her. And she's already reiterated (or rather, her partner has) the terms of the visit. I expect they will continue to reiterate the terms of the visit until the dunderheads get it.

It doesn't seem likely that a group of people getting a free stay at a lake house are going to flounce their skirts and stomp their tiny feet exiting stage left, noses high in the air, just because they can't stay one night at the OP's place. And if they do, no loss.

I think the OP is a high octane go-getter with a strong drive to succeed who feels thwarted sometimes by people acting idiotically.

Old 01-07-2020, 04:19 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Absolutely.

Wow, if I was getting a place to stay for free or sweetheart deal, I'd be anxious to show my appreciation and not upset my host. If they mentioned I needed to get a hotel the last night, the only thing to say is "absolutely, we will do that, and thank you again for letting us stay there".

Old 01-07-2020, 04:32 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I know she can seem annoying but I think she's just starting a conversation. She's not letting anyone walk all over her. And she's already reiterated (or rather, her partner has) the terms of the visit. I expect they will continue to reiterate the terms of the visit until the dunderheads get it.

It doesn't seem likely that a group of people getting a free stay at a lake house are going to flounce their skirts and stomp their tiny feet exiting stage left, noses high in the air, just because they can't stay one night at the OP's place. And if they do, no loss.

I think the OP is a high octane go-getter with a strong drive to succeed who feels thwarted sometimes by people acting idiotically.
You get it. This is not handwringing "how do I stand up for myself???" We have people use this house all the time without incident. Every so often someone acts cluelessly after we have been very clear. This does not seem wholly unusual in general. Sometimes no matter how directly you tell someone that you need them to do something, they exercise their free will and behave differently. No one can magically control anothers actions. Many CD commenters advocate "standing up for yourself " as a panacea. Just be frank and firm! You are being weak so it's your fault this happening! Ironically I stand up for myself regularly and yet, other humans don't immediately conform to my ideas. Go figure.

Last edited by emotiioo; 01-07-2020 at 04:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships