Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 PM

84 posts, read 253,705 times

Advertisements

I purposely went out and got my license and signed up to vote the other day just so I could vote against this amendment.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:21 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
Just got back from proudly, gleefully voting against this amendment. Keep 'em coming, folks.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:13 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,834 times
Must be an election year. Hurray for wedge issues!

Old 04-22-2012, 09:46 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
The exact same thing can be said of the gay lobby. They want to impose their own definition of marriage on everyone else whether they like it or not. They want to force you to accept them whether you like it or not. They have decided they can destroy a 2,000 year old societal (not religious) definition of marriage on a whim.
"IMPOSE"?

Gays want the right to determine who they will marry.

YOU want to deny them the right.

So, which one of you is really imposing here?

Old 04-22-2012, 09:54 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
What is being discuss in thread is very misleading. this amendment is not a vote for or against gay marriage as this state already has a law for that.
It is to add discrimination for first time in this states constitution.
This amendment will also deny civil unions.
This amendment will not allow straight or gay domestic partners living together to file restaining orders in domestic abuse. Such cases are already boggling down Ohio court room due to similar amendment that state has.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:06 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
What is being discuss in thread is very misleading. this amendment is not a vote for or against gay marriage as this state already has a law for that.
This amendment will not allow straight or gay domestic partners living together to file restaining orders in domestic abuse. Such cases are already boggling down Ohio court room due to similar amendment that state has.
And a similar legislation was overturned in California for it served no purpose at all but sends a clear message of hate based on nothing but the ignorance and superstition of the bronze age.

Prop 8 in CA was overturned because is serves no other purpose than to lessen the status and human dignity of gays and lesbians, and to officially reclassify their relationships and families as inferior to those of opposite-sex couples.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:53 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Exactly. Sounds like big government to me

Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post

Thank you for illustrating my previous point that any disagreement with the gay lobby results in name calling. My point was the gay lobby is trying to force acceptance of their lifestyle on everyone.

Thanks for proving my point again. It is not possible to have an honest dialog if you are going to resort to name calling. Gay marriage redefines the traditional societal definition of marriage. Notice I said societal not biblical. But what do I know, I'm a biased, ignorant, superstitious bronze-age person.

And it is not your place, nor it is your right to force everyone to accept a homosexual lifestyle, or to force your own definition of marriage on the rest of society. People have the right to disagree with that and doing so doesn't make people homophobic.
I don't understand your (or others like you) rational when you say the gay lobby is trying to "force" their lifestyle on you. Are gay folks out there actively trying to gather signatures or pushing their government officials to come up with laws or amendments to the constitution to restrict what you do with another person? Or is it the Christian Right trying to restrict what people do in their own private lives? Here is another question I pose to you and others with your way of thinking, if gay marriage is such a "threat" how come New York, Massachusetts, Iowa, Washington, DC, Connecticut, Canada, & other places haven't seen a "collapse" of their society? The last time I visited New York & DC, it seem like business as usual.

I always hear conservatives talk about how they fear sharia law, but passing amendments and laws that restrict what people do in their private lives because of their personal religious beliefs is a form of a "Christian Right" version of sharia law.

Like others pointed out same-sex marriage is already banned (which is unfortunate) in NC, so why waste time, money, & energy on banning it again instead of focusing attention on finding ways to spur job growth and economic development (which this amendment may actually scare companies like Facebook's co-founder mentioned from wanting to do business here) instead of petty issues like this.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:37 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,195,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
Must be an election year. Hurray for wedge issues!
One would think they'd put it on the general election ballot if they were just looking to drive up red team votes. This is more about the you know whos showing their rear ends to the world the minute they got a seat at the big boy table.

Also, noticed two churches with vote for amendment one messages on their marquees today. Because that whole separation of church and state thing is a total farce.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:17 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,902,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
One would think they'd put it on the general election ballot if they were just looking to drive up red team votes. This is more about the you know whos showing their rear ends to the world the minute they got a seat at the big boy table.

Also, noticed two churches with vote for amendment one messages on their marquees today. Because that whole separation of church and state thing is a total farce.

Well there was no ways the Dmes could keep this off the ballot all together so they got it on the ballot in May so it wouldn't affect the general elction in Nov by sending more rigth wing people to the poll who wouldn't otherwise have gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina