Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 08:28 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,023,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puggal View Post
You posted a much more clear version than I did over in the Triangle board, so thank you! I drove through rural NC for several hours today, and with each "YES" sign (most in front of churches), my heart sank a little.

Christianity: They're doing it right.
Here in Charlotte the Vote Against signs outnumber the Yes signs pretty handily. Here's hoping the urban areas show up in high numbers.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:37 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
Quote:
Christianity: They're doing it right.

(You posted a much more clear version than I did over in the Triangle board, so thank you! I drove through rural NC for several hours today, and to my dismay, I only saw one, maybe two AGAINST signs. A vast majority FOR. So disappointing to see, especially in 2012.)
We must have a lot of new people that moved into the state that does not think the way most natives do. I would expect in North Carolina to find the ratio 99 for and 01 against. The poll on this thread is surely not reflective of what the vote will probably turn out to be--at least I certainly hope it is not.

I think most of the people that will be voting for this next Tuesday have no signs up at all. We just know the difference between right and wrong and will be voting our conscience.

I am with the other poster that said they were interested in seeing the real vote and it will be soon. I look forward to next Tuesday to stop this discussion in its tracks.

Last edited by NCN; 05-05-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 08:50 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,195,339 times
Worth pointing out where the money's coming from:

Money totals for lead groups in amendment fight :: WRAL.com

Note fundraising against the amendment comes from individual donors at nearly a 5:1 ratio, which bodes well for the populist angle against. And as for the top contributors for the amendment?

Fun little tidbit about the Christian Action League

President of the Christian Action League, 74, Is Arrested after Allegedly Paying Hooker with Checks*Pensito Review

Quote:
Rev. Coy Privette, the president of the Christian Action League, a North Carolina ultraconservative Christian political organization based in Raleigh, has been arrested for soliciting prostitution:

Privette, 74, was charged with six counts of misdemeanor aiding and abetting prostitution by renting a hotel room and paying for sexual acts, according to State Bureau of Investigation Agent Kevin Canty. Tiffany Denise Summers, 32, of Salisbury, was charged with six counts of misdemeanor prostitution, Canty said.

And:

Police said officers were investigating a forged check case, which led them to the prostitution charges. Privette on two occasions allegedly paid the prostitute with checks then reported those checks as stolen, officials said.
Staunch defenders of biblical morality and traditional values, indeed.

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 05-05-2012 at 09:02 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 05:47 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
I'm seeing a lot of vote no signs in Wilmington - many more than I thought. Although it may not mean anything because I think it's the makeup of my neighborhood, except for the church on the corner that has a big "vote for the marriage amendment" sign up. I decided not to go to their yard sale because of that, lol.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We must have a lot of new people that moved into the state that does not think the way most natives do. I would expect in North Carolina to find the ratio 99 for and 01 against. The poll on this thread is surely not reflective of what the vote will probably turn out to be--at least I certainly hope it is not.

I think most of the people that will be voting for this next Tuesday have no signs up at all. We just know the difference between right and wrong and will be voting our conscience.

I am with the other poster that said they were interested in seeing the real vote and it will be soon. I look forward to next Tuesday to stop this discussion in its tracks.
That's interesting. I live in Cleveland County which is majority natives. The county is split, probably 50/50. The church signs fall in 4 groups, about evenly divided: Vote yes, on Ammendment One, Vote no on Ammendment One, Ammendment One (no stand taken), & those avoiding the issue altogether.

I hope this fails because it will cost us potential jobs. Based on comments that you've made in the past, that would probably make you happy, in hopes that it will drive out transplants. Rest assured that it will have an effect everyone equally.

This ammendment is a real shame. The very Republicans who were voted in screaming that they would bring in jobs have done the opposite & this divisive little gem is just icing on the cake. But what more can you expect from a group whose first act was to attempt to take the year's funding from the Golden Leaf Fund, which is there to help distressed areas give incentives for jobs, to plug the budget. That hole is there because people need jobs.

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-06-2012 at 08:00 AM..

Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 AM

112 posts, read 123,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
We must have a lot of new people that moved into the state that does not think the way most natives do.
Sounds like that's what NC needs-- a more socially liberal push forward. It's the way the country is moving. As the bigoted members of the GG and Baby Boomers die off, they're being replaced with more socially tolerant generations. We'll being looking back at this, embarrassed, in a (hopefully) short period of time.

For First Time, Majority of Americans Favor Legal Gay Marriage

Old 05-06-2012, 11:25 AM

Here is an article from the Shelby Star that pretty well makes my point concerning churches here. Pastors sound off about Amendment One | pastors, one, amendment - The Star Online : The Newspaper of Cleveland County

Shelby is not over-run with transplants from anywhere, so if anyone thinks that this is a transplant vs native battle, you are sadly mistaken.

This is a matter of imposing religious beliefs on others, in a manner that many people, including children, will be hurt. It will scare off companies who might bring jobs. All this from the fine folks who slashed the education budget to spite Bev when she vetoed their attempt to use the money from Golden Leaf.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Here is an article from the Shelby Star that pretty well makes my point concerning churches here. Pastors sound off about Amendment One | pastors, one, amendment - The Star Online : The Newspaper of Cleveland County

Shelby is not over-run with transplants from anywhere, so if anyone thinks that this is a transplant vs native battle, you are sadly mistaken.

This is a matter of imposing religious beliefs on others, in a manner that many people, including children, will be hurt. It will scare off companies who might bring jobs. All this from the fine folks who slashed the education budget to spite Bev when she vetoed their attempt to use the money from Golden Leaf.
southbound_295 - I hope it does scare off companies looking to bring jobs! I heard a rumor that there might be an amendment proposed to consolidate Wells-Fargo jobs to more gay-friendly areas. If such an amendment is offered by shareholders, as one, I will vote for it. Perhaps, if Wells-Fargo moved out of Charlotte, Franklin Graham can move in (the new Graham Cracker Tower) and throw canned food to his admirers from the top ... "Don't let my can hit you in the face!"

What goes around ...can come around!

Proud Klaine Shipper!

Old 05-06-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
southbound_295 - I hope it does scare off companies looking to bring jobs! I heard a rumor that there might be an amendment proposed to consolidate Wells-Fargo jobs to more gay-friendly areas. If such an amendment is offered by shareholders, as one, I will vote for it. Perhaps, if Wells-Fargo moved out of Charlotte, Franklin Graham can move in (the new Graham Cracker Tower) and throw canned food to his admirers from the top ... "Don't let my can hit you in the face!"

What goes around ...can come around!

Proud Klaine Shipper!
Hey, Emissary, long time no see.

I hope if they're scared off they say so & soon.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:25 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,263,938 times
Quote:
Sounds like that's what NC needs-- a more socially liberal push forward. It's the way the country is moving. As the bigoted members of the GG and Baby Boomers die off, they're being replaced with more socially tolerant generations. We'll being looking back at this, embarrassed, in a (hopefully) short period of time.

For First Time, Majority of Americans Favor Legal Gay Marriage
Come on now, there are some native NC's that are against the amendment. Don't think its only Yankees that will move the political meter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina