Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Amendment 1
Yes, I support it 27 18.49%
No, I do not support it 119 81.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:32 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,195,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
Didn't know I was supposed to. But OK.

God is first and foremost in my life. He sent His Son to die for my sins and through Him, I now have the promise of eternal life. That was a debt I could NEVER repay. Now living with that promise gives me such a peaceful feeling, words can't describe it.

You can claim I "hate" people and call me hick, backwards, or whatever. I don't care.

The fact is as a Christian, I love all people. So much so, I pray for their salvation through Christ. I am by no means a perfect person. I still have sin in my life everyday. But for me to vote in a manner that accepts what scripture points out as sin, I absolutely can not do. No more so than to not vote against adultery, pedophilia, or bestiality.

You asked why? There it is. I hate NO ONE here in this thread and I will pray for you all.
Just out of curiosity, if Jesus and Christianity never existed, and everything else in human history turned out pretty much the same. Would you still be against gays getting hitched? Or even better, Jesus, Christianity, the bible, all the same except there's no mention of homosexuality in scripture at all, and none of the major figures ever say anything on the subject (putting aside the fact Jesus never said anything about it to begin with). Everything else still the same. What then?

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 05-07-2012 at 03:41 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 05:55 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:

God is first and foremost in my life. He sent His Son to die for my sins and through Him, I now have the promise of eternal life. That was a debt I could NEVER repay. Now living with that promise gives me such a peaceful feeling, words can't describe it.

You can claim I "hate" people and call me hick, backwards, or whatever. I don't care.

The fact is as a Christian, I love all people. So much so, I pray for their salvation through Christ. I am by no means a perfect person. I still have sin in my life everyday. But for me to vote in a manner that accepts what scripture points out as sin, I absolutely can not do. No more so than to not vote against adultery, pedophilia, or bestiality.

You asked why? There it is. I hate NO ONE here in this thread and I will pray for you all.
Ernest, there is already a law preventing gay peoplle from marrying. This amendment goes after all people living together & in committed relationships. Many of them are elderly people who can not afford to marry because the woman will lose her social security if she is collecting on a dead husband's account. This will also hurt children.

This will hurt even married straight people when companies refuse to come to the state with jobs.

If you feel that it is God's will for you to vote for this, that is your business. In my opinion, this amendment is not coming from that direction.

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-07-2012 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-07-2012, 06:28 AM

351 posts, read 633,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Your fine with your beliefs, I am a Christian too. If that only reason you have but why are you for Amendment when this state already has a law that states One Man and One Woman

Either way this Amendment goes only man and woman can marry in NC.

This Amendment passes there going to court cases bogging the system.
Are you not for less government.
I didn't create the amendment. But now its here. As I stated, I feel I must vote as scripture tells me to. That means to vote against that which would be in favor of gay marriages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Im a Christian too but an open minded one.
That's certainly fine. God did give us a mind which allows freewill to do what we want. But His Word does not change. If being open-minded is contrary to scripture, its pure and simple sinful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Just out of curiosity, if Jesus and Christianity never existed, and everything else in human history turned out pretty much the same. Would you still be against gays getting hitched? Or even better, Jesus, Christianity, the bible, all the same except there's no mention of homosexuality in scripture at all, and none of the major figures ever say anything on the subject (putting aside the fact Jesus never said anything about it to begin with). Everything else still the same. What then?
I'm going to assume I would have nothing against it. But that would be like me saying "I'm voting against driving". There's no scriptural basis for it so it wouldn't make sense.

But that's not the case here, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ernest, there is already a law preventing gay peoplle from marrying. This ammendment goes after all people living together & in committed relationships. Many of them are elderly people who can not afford to marry because the woman will lose her social security if she is collecting on a dead husband's account. This will also hurt children.

This will hurt even married straight people when companies refuse to come to the state with jobs.

If you feel that it is God's will for you to vote for this, that is your business. In my opinion, this ammendment is not coming from that direction.
I keep hearing this on TV. But in all honesty, it appears to be a desperate attempt to stretch things in an effort to change minds.

Like I said, I have to vote in accordance to God's Word. I absolutely DO NOT hate anyone here and pray that everyone finds Jesus Christ and allows Him into your heart. He loves you more than you can imagine and once you find Him, its a joy and peace you just have to realize. Death has absolutely no fear for me because I know what's lies beyond it. There is no unknown.

But again, God's Word must be the basis for my decision. I guess we'll see come Wednesday.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:53 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
I keep hearing this on TV. But in all honesty, it appears to be a desperate attempt to stretch things in an effort to change minds.

Like I said, I have to vote in accordance to God's Word. I absolutely DO NOT hate anyone here and pray that everyone finds Jesus Christ and allows Him into your heart. He loves you more than you can imagine and once you find Him, its a joy and peace you just have to realize. Death has absolutely no fear for me because I know what's lies beyond it. There is no unknown.

But again, God's Word must be the basis for my decision. I guess we'll see come Wednesday.
Ernest, the bible says that you should not eat pork.

The law is on the books forbidding gay marriage. This amendment uses already illegal gay marriage as a way to go after other people. Someone already posted the whole amendment, which disallows all civil unions & agreements, which includes straight people.

If you are comfortable with a law that hurts elderly people & children & everyone where you live has a job, so be it. If you are comfortable with a law being pushed by a minister who advocates violence against children, that is your business. However, I take exception to your insinuation that there is something wrong with me. Quakers believe that the light of God is in everyone, so everyone should be treated well.

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-07-2012 at 07:05 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 07:09 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Quote:
I didn't create the amendment. But now its here. As I stated, I feel I must vote as scripture tells me to. That means to vote against that which would be in favor of gay marriages.

That's certainly fine. God did give us a mind which allows freewill to do what we want. But His Word does not change. If being open-minded is contrary to scripture, its pure and simple sinful.

I'm going to assume I would have nothing against it. But that would be like me saying "I'm voting against driving". There's no scriptural basis for it so it wouldn't make sense.

The scripture says nothing about the Amendment, heck this country and North Carolina was not even formed.

Can you list a tangible positive impact if this Amendment?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-07-2012 at 08:09 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 AM

26 posts, read 30,601 times
Quote:

God does not sit in the judge's chair. People charged with administering the law without religious discrimination do. Using your religion as an excuse to practice bigotry is irresponsible and does not please God or Jesus. "God made me do it?" Really? As a state, we are better than that. This Amendment is "unwise, unclear and unnecessary," in the words of the Attorney General of the State of North Carolina. Vote Against. Make our legislators do it the right way next year.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:25 AM

26 posts, read 30,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
At a discussion / debate on the bill last night in Charlotte, David Hains, spokesman for the Catholic Diocese of Charlotte, stated that stature is appropriate because at its core is “the immutable biological fact of man, woman and child. "Because gay couples cannot produce children," he said, "they do not meet the definition of marriage."

Amendment debate hits now-familiar points | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper
[LEFT]
Read more here: Amendment debate hits now-familiar points | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper
[/LEFT]

By this logic, does this mean that a heterosexual couple that is biologically unable to produce children also does not meet the "definition of marriage"?
Well, of course, gay people can and do produce children. Has this poor fellow never heard of in vitro fertilization? Artificial insemination? So far, God hasn't shown up to strike them down. Church doctrine cannot and never will alter reality. Gay people also adopt special children, abandoned children, abused children, all children. As in straight families, the vast majority of them turn out just fine. This Amendment will screw up lives because it bans any "domestic legal union." With that phrase, it goes way beyond protecting marriage and becomes blatant discrimination. If you agree, don't not vote. Vote Against and stop this madness. Children and a lot of grown-ups will thank you.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:

I hate to have to repeat myself, but I think this sums it up very accurately.

You have every right to your beliefs and to live your life how you wish, but that right ends with you. You have no authority, right, or privilege to impose those beliefs anyone else, especially when it tells that person they are a lesser person than you.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,398,598 times
Government shouldn't interfere with religion... EXCEPT.... When I agree with them... I wish people were this passionate about gas prices, jobs, National debt, wages, National Security, etc. We're having a major election (who some would argue is the most important election in our lifetimes) and all the Lincoln Counties of North Carolina (seem to) care about is making a law that bans something that isn't even recognized...

Politics at it's finest. Some people are cashing out big on this entire Amendment 1 politically. Some religious affiliations/churches (I've seen) have become the arm of the Far Right Wing. I've seen churches telling people how to vote with a ton of signs. In my church, we lead by example. Not force people or make people feel obligated to vote a certain way.

I also was taught that the USA was mainly founded on the basis of Freedom of Religious persecution from the Crown of England. I guess I was misinformed.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 05-07-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 10:19 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,178,265 times
After this amendment passes, I call on all the Christians who supported it to now support amendments that makes divorce illegal, single parenting illegal, childless marriages illegal, etc. Why not use your convictions to address the things that are really "destroying" your religous views on marriage? The small minority of committed gay couples can't possibly do the damage to "traditional marriage" that these other things are already doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina