Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:57 PM

115 posts, read 233,190 times

Advertisements

I would like to extend my gratitude to the people of North Carolina for preserving the unique institution of marriage. Without marriage, our society will crumble. Children from broken families are statistically more likely to:
* be raised in poverty
* drop out of high school
* have trouble with the law

The primary purpose of Amendment 1 is to protect children by strengthening marriage. Redefining marriage to mean anything other than a man and a woman weakens the very institution of marriage. Marriage should not be regarded as an arbitrary condition, neither by homosexuals nor by heterosexuals. Arguments that distract from the main issue are attempts to ignore the importance of children in our society.

I am not surprised by the vicious slander hurled against supporters of this amendment, and specifically against Southerners and Christians. I do hope people responding to this topic refrain from launching diatribe, instead thoughtfully responding to points raised in rational discussion. Remember, this is not a religion vs. atheist position. It is a pro child position.

And I say to supporters on my own side.... Please refrain from smugness, even when it is hurled at you. People respond better to kindness. I have friends who I lived with years ago (before I knew their inclinations) caught up on the unhappy side of this issue. I still communicate with them, despite the fact they know my position and I know they consider themselves married now, despite the fact they aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 10:42 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Do you live in North Carolina?

Old 05-10-2012, 10:47 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,413,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA palmetto View Post
The primary purpose of Amendment 1 is to protect children by strengthening marriage.

Redefining marriage to mean anything other than a man and a woman weakens the very institution of marriage.
How?

How does the amendment protect children or strengthen marriage?

How does same-sex marriage weaken the institution of marriage?

Old 05-11-2012, 05:55 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,381,252 times
These same arguments were used to support bans on inter-racial marriage....

Old 05-11-2012, 06:26 AM

7,134 posts, read 12,675,471 times
Me, I'm ashamed that North Carolina passed legislation that WEAKENS the "institution" of marriage and prevents two people who love each other from coming together in love. What a huge violation of equal rights. I want our government to focus on education and improving our economy. I don't want them in our bedrooms.

Yes, I live in NC, yes, I've been married a long time to my college sweetheart, and no, I'm neither gay nor a lesbian--but I DO believe in equality and love.

NC took a giant backward step with passing this amendment. I love my neighbors and want them to enjoy the same rights as anyone else when it comes to marriage.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:08 AM

538 posts, read 1,012,950 times
I supported the amendment. We all have our own opinions and values. Theres no need degrade someone that has a different view from yours.

If you're ashamed of your state, there are states out there that support your views.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:11 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
These same arguments were used to support bans on inter-racial marriage....
Yep...and as Shep Smith..from FOX NEWS of all places...said himself; Republicans are going to find themselves on the wrong side of history on this one.

I live in New York State. Gay marriage is legal here. I am heterosexual male and married to a woman. Despite this huge "threat to marriage" that has been legalized here; we somehow still manage to have a strong, healthy, loving marriage! Go figure!

We used to live in NC, before this amendment was passed that was supposedly to "protect marriage".... and get this....we had a strong and happy marriage there too!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA palmetto View Post
The primary purpose of Amendment 1 is to protect children by strengthening marriage. Redefining marriage to mean anything other than a man and a woman weakens the very institution of marriage.
This view seems totally arbitrary to me.

I can only assume it is rooted in some orthodox christian belief, despite the fact that the Christians I know think gay marriage should be legal.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times
In todays Charlotte Observer The County council is questioning the ability to offer benefits to non-married couples. It starts already!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:13 AM

7,134 posts, read 12,675,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I supported the amendment. We all have our own opinions and values. Theres no need degrade someone that has a different view from yours.

If you're ashamed of your state, there are states out there that support your views.
No, I'm not leaving the State I love...I'm staying and working to make it a state that's progressive and that welcomes and champions equality.

"Liberty and Justice For All"--to me, that means equality and equal rights for everyone. Banning marriages between loving people is not equality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina