Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:24 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA palmetto View Post
I would like to extend my gratitude to the people of North Carolina for preserving the unique institution of marriage. Without marriage, our society will crumble. Children from broken families are statistically more likely to:
* be raised in poverty
* drop out of high school
* have trouble with the law

The primary purpose of Amendment 1 is to protect children by strengthening marriage. Redefining marriage to mean anything other than a man and a woman weakens the very institution of marriage. Marriage should not be regarded as an arbitrary condition, neither by homosexuals nor by heterosexuals. Arguments that distract from the main issue are attempts to ignore the importance of children in our society.

I am not surprised by the vicious slander hurled against supporters of this amendment, and specifically against Southerners and Christians. I do hope people responding to this topic refrain from launching diatribe, instead thoughtfully responding to points raised in rational discussion. Remember, this is not a religion vs. atheist position. It is a pro child position.

And I say to supporters on my own side.... Please refrain from smugness, even when it is hurled at you. People respond better to kindness. I have friends who I lived with years ago (before I knew their inclinations) caught up on the unhappy side of this issue. I still communicate with them, despite the fact they know my position and I know they consider themselves married now, despite the fact they aren't.
you can't leave well enough alone... that defines the 'pro-amendment' group precisely.

this southern christian is disappointed, but not terribly surprised. southerners didn't get their reputation by a lark... we EARNED it. and so we shall continue to live with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:28 AM

115 posts, read 233,110 times
Our culture used to believe that marriage should be permanent until death do you part, except in cases of abuse. Since that is no longer the case, our society now has social ills that were almost nonexistant before the 1960's. The fact that there were other issues such as racism does not relate to views on marriage.

When promiscuity become accepted, the divorce rate eventually rose to around 50% from under 10%. How often I hear people who say that if they knew then what they know now about marriage, they would still be married. It is the attitude about marriage that has weakened people's resolve to get married and stay married.

Now this same attitude is directly affected any time marriage is "redefined". When marriage is no longer considered an environment meant for raising families, then you develop a shortage of younger people and produce an inverted age pyramid in the population. Look into the economic and social consequences of that.

Making the assumption that most people supporting this amendment hate homosexuals is an opinion with blinders on, because it unilaterally negates the willingness to believe that any other principle could be involved in the decision. I have stated my reasons, which are not related to hate. In fact I have friends that I lived with at one time, before I knew their inclination, that moved to California "to get married". I still keep in touch with one of them. He knows my views, but respects me because he knows I don't hate him.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:32 AM

115 posts, read 233,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
In todays Charlotte Observer The County council is questioning the ability to offer benefits to non-married couples. It starts already!
Isn't that being consistent though? It's not targeting homosexuals, but predominantly heterosexuals. I know too many people in their 30s and 40s who are disappointed about not being married, most especially the ones living with a "partner" of the opposite sex. To hear how one of them talks about his girlfriend makes me naseous, because it shows an utter lack of respect for her as a human being. Marriage forces you to try harder. I've lived with a girlfriend before without commitment, and marriage definitely changes the whole perspective on things.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
The amendment goes after civil unions & domestic partnerships. Domestic partnership includes the elderly.

Jane Doe's husband, John, dies after 45 years of marriage. Jane Doe was a housewife.& gets her social security from John. She meets Bob Smith & they decide to marry. Oops! They can't afford to, because Jane will lose her social security check if she remarries, so they live together.

This first came to light while my grandparents were still alive, & they were born in the 1890s. Nice going. Those old folks are just destroying marriage.

Last edited by southbound_295; 05-11-2012 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-11-2012, 09:46 AM

606 posts, read 903,779 times
Boggles my mind that we "strengthened marriage" in a state where it's easier to get a divorce than any other state I've ever lived in. Banning gay marriage isn't going to change divorce rates, adultery rates, single parent home rates, deadbeat parents that walk away from kid rates, etc.

It doesn't change my non-religious, state sanctioned marriage in any regard. My marriage is what I make of it. That was the case on Monday, that was the case after the vote. That will be the case when equality is given to ALL citizens of this country.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
Boggles my mind that we "strengthened marriage" in a state where it's easier to get a divorce than any other state I've ever lived in. Banning gay marriage isn't going to change divorce rates, adultery rates, single parent home rates, deadbeat parents that walk away from kid rates, etc.

It doesn't change my non-religious, state sanctioned marriage in any regard. My marriage is what I make of it. That was the case on Monday, that was the case after the vote. That will be the case when equality is given to ALL citizens of this country.

Not agreeing with the amendment, but am disagreeing with this statement. NC requires a 1 yr trial separation before divorce. Before you can divorce in absentia you must do things like put a notice in the paper. On the flip side it may be too easy to get married, less than $20 and a trip to the magistrate.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:52 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Quote:
Our culture used to believe that marriage should be permanent until death do you part, except in cases of abuse. Since that is no longer the case, our society now has social ills that were almost nonexistant before the 1960's. The fact that there were other issues such as racism does not relate to views on marriage.
Nonexistant before 1960's? Yeah right.....they were simply IGNORED until then. Society taught spouses (especially wives) to "look the other way" when their partners were unfaithful or otherwise toxicly destructive to the relationship and to stick by them no matter what. Domestic violence was largely swept under the rug and very rarely reported. And even when it was, laws and legal action against it were very weak.

Quote:
When promiscuity become accepted, the divorce rate eventually rose to around 50% from under 10%. How often I hear people who say that if they knew then what they know now about marriage, they would still be married. It is the attitude about marriage that has weakened people's resolve to get married and stay married.
Don't really even know what you are getting at here. Some more elaboration would be helpful. It's funny because it sounds like the point you are trying to make is that divorce rates have skyrocketed in recent decades and that marriage "isn't what it used to be"....and that was all under the watch of only opposite-sex partners being married. I just don't see how allowing same-sex couples the same opportunities would somehow affect the status of marriage among heterosexual couples.

Quote:
Now this same attitude is directly affected any time marriage is "redefined". When marriage is no longer considered an environment meant for raising families, then you develop a shortage of younger people and produce an inverted age pyramid in the population. Look into the economic and social consequences of that.
First of all; many homosexual couples, especially lesbian couples, DO have children and raise families. A large part of their reasons for wanting their relationships to be legally recognized is so that their children can have the same legal benefits and opportunities that children of married heterosexual couples have. Using this (misguided) logic that allowing gays to marry would make marriage less about family building/procreation.... would you also support a ban on sterile people getting married or post-menopausal women being married?

Quote:
Making the assumption that most people supporting this amendment hate homosexuals is an opinion with blinders on, because it unilaterally negates the willingness to believe that any other principle could be involved in the decision. I have stated my reasons, which are not related to hate. In fact I have friends that I lived with at one time, before I knew their inclination, that moved to California "to get married". I still keep in touch with one of them. He knows my views, but respects me because he knows I don't hate him.
On this point I agree with you. Do I think supporters of such legislation are very misguided and ill-informed of it's implications...absolutely. However, I do not think that all "pro-amendment" people "hate homosexuals" and I think that the rants and accusations of bigotry for all who support the amendment are uncalled for. There certainly is a portion of the population for whom that characterization would be accurate; but I don't believe it is representative of all of those who voted for the amendment or who agree with it's stance.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 AM

606 posts, read 903,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Not agreeing with the amendment, but am disagreeing with this statement. NC requires a 1 yr trial separation before divorce. Before you can divorce in absentia you must do things like put a notice in the paper. On the flip side it may be too easy to get married, less than $20 and a trip to the magistrate.
You serve your spouse with the papers. It does not require notice in the paper unless you can't find that spouse. You wait a year and a day. You go to court. Your spouse can show up or not show up. Your spouse is not required to sign the papers. The court asks a few questions and then grants you a divorce. You don't need to have custody, property division, or the other details figured out beforehand. In many other states, all those things must be figured out before a divorce is granted, it can't be stopped, etc. It's VERY easy process in this state. A 1 yr separation is a piece of cake. Are there other states where the process is easier? Yes. Still, compared to other places, it's very easy. Doesn't even require a lawyer if you know how to prepare the paperwork. I agree with your point on it probably being too easy to get married as well.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:33 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
No, I'm not leaving the State I love...I'm staying and working to make it a state that's progressive and that welcomes and champions equality.

"Liberty and Justice For All"--to me, that means equality and equal rights for everyone. Banning marriages between loving people is not equality.
Not to mention the unalienable rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Marrying the person you love = pursuing happiness.

This amendment is entirely inconsistent with what this country was meant to be.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
I would like to extend my gratitude to the people of North Carolina for preserving the unique institution of marriage. Without marriage, our society will crumble. Children from broken families are statistically more likely to:
* be raised in poverty
* drop out of high school
* have trouble with the law
Then you better outlaw heterosexual divorce, for that is the source of the social ills you are bloviating about, but that would require that you actually pay attention and be honest, something very alien to buy bull loons.

Do your really want to know the true origin of marriage? I really doubt it, but here it is:
Marriage originated as a social construct that allowed family matriarchs to facilitate the transfer of chattel property such as livestock and daughters through legal contracts.

But that is what your "faith" dictates, hate hate hate.

Too bad you don't understand the true "working definition" of faith: the arrogance of ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina