Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city and why? what does the other city need to do to get your vote?
Raleigh-Durham 243 42.63%
Charlotte 327 57.37%
Voters: 570. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 09:16 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times

Advertisements

Back to the question of national recognition. Which basketball team is more known nationally?
Bobcats vs Duke. Bobcats-UNC? I know it's pro/college but that's not the point of question.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:34 AM

601 posts, read 964,506 times
^ I feel confident that Duke and UNC are more known than the Bobcats. However, I think the name "Charlotte Hornets" is more comparable to the two college team brands.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:03 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Nah, neither the Hornets nor the Panthers are as well known as UNC and Duke. It's easy to check this stuff. Just go to google and type in the phrase and check how many results you get back.

Charlotte Hornets = About 5,210,000 results
Carolina Panthers = About 51,100,000 results
Duke Basketball= About 105,000,000 results
Carolina Basketball= About 143,000,000 results

If you type in Charlotte NC and Raleigh NC, Charlotte does have a slight edge over Raleigh, though.

Charlotte, NC = About 96,700,000 results
Raleigh, NC = About 68,600,000 results

Old 02-22-2014, 01:12 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Urbancharlotte, interesting about the billboard. I'd say the story about it is due to 1) a slow news day, 2) trying to stir up some controversy to boost ratings, and 3) because the billboard is ambiguous and could be seen as promoting Charlotte over Raleigh as a place to live. It's actually pretty vague with a boring stock photo of some folks having a drink. If it said something specific about Charlotte such as advertising the Panthers or the Mint museum or something I don't think anyone would have batted an eye. I don't think it's necessarily trying to lure the good citizens of Raleigh away to new homes in Charlotte, but since it doesn't say "come visit" some folks seem to be taking it as saying "come live here instead of in Raleigh". I think it's just promotion in general and I wouldn't think twice about it.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:46 PM

Well I'm no expert like some people on here seem to be. All I can go on is what I am told. And I asked again was told by a proud Charolttean that they just came up with that name a few years ago. Out of the blue basically.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:34 PM

Shaw spanks J C Smith. Go Bears lol

Old 02-22-2014, 11:52 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,306,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Could you provide a link to this "street level scene and human scale" development please sir...

Topic change...

I noticed the following story on the Triangle's local ABC affiliate and thought I'd share it.

Charlotte's got a lot billboard leaves some scratching heads in Raleigh | abc11.com

^^^Now, before anybody shares their opinion on this story, consider the following. I've seen Columbia Zoo, Asheboro Zoo, and visit Atlanta billboards in and around Charlotte recently and in the past. However, I don't ever remember any of those billboards making the news in Charlotte. So why is a Charlotte billboard making the news in Raleigh? What's the big deal...
I posted a link to the same I story except from the Charlotte Business Journal. I also found the article interesting. In the article I posted it stated that most of the visitors from Charlotte, if I read it right, are from the Raleigh, Greensboro, Columbia, Columbia, and Charleston area. All the major cities in the Carolinas. It's either that or they are trying to encourage more people from these areas. I think it's a good ploy and not a bad idea.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:49 PM

I think all the Raleigh boosters should let Charlotte win! I would be ok with that only if someone from Charlotte can explain a few things. Without ducking the question. Please explain?
How a city with such a stronger economy have higher unemployment?
How a city that is so much better have such underperforming schools?
How a city that is so much better have much higher crime rates?
Most Charlotte boosters rant and rave with no clear answer so I will throw this one to urbancharlotte. The reason I ask is a city as great and light years ahead of little Raleigh/Maybery I think would have solved the issues already.

Old 02-23-2014, 07:07 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
I think all the Raleigh boosters should let Charlotte win!
Charlotte won a long time ago according to the poll.

Quote:
I would be ok with that only if someone from Charlotte can explain a few things. Without ducking the question. Please explain?
Charlotte went through a lot more trouble during the recession, while continuing to see a large number of newcomers; Raleigh was almost unaffected by the recession and it's growth boom didn't start until mid-late recession.

Meanwhile the entire time Charlotte seen unemployment rate above 10%, it's metro GDP continued to stay above Raleigh's.

Quote:
Underperforming to whom? Charlotte does not have higher education to compete with Duke or UNC Chapel Hill, but Charlotte's schools, higher education or not, is not "underperforming" by any means.

Quote:
Charlotte is the 9th safest city with a population more than 500,000. At least according to this link. I don't see Raleigh.
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2012...sFactSheet.pdf

Charlotte and Raleigh are both safer than 9% of cities in the U.S. according to NeighborhoodScout.

Quote:
Most Charlotte boosters rant and rave with no clear answer so I will throw this one to urbancharlotte. The reason I ask is a city as great and light years ahead of little Raleigh/Maybery I think would have solved the issues already.
I guess a dozen other cities would have solved their issues already as well.

You basically base which cities you like better by which sporting team you like the most, because you sure as hell never have anything factual to back up what you're saying. Do everyone a favor and actually know what you're talking about before commenting on a thread.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:14 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
I think all the Raleigh boosters should let Charlotte win! I would be ok with that only if someone from Charlotte can explain a few things. Without ducking the question. Please explain?
There is much more to an economy than the unemployment rate. A perfect example is Charleston, WV (one of a few different areas I've previously lived in). Throughout this great recession, much of West Virginia had lower unemployment than NC. However, when it comes to GDP and job creation, NC tops WV. The same can be said about metro Charlotte vs the Triangle.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg School District Wins Prestigious Broad Prize - US News

I don't have a link at the moment, but the last time I checked this info, Charlotte was by no means the crime capital of NC. NC towns MUCH smaller than Charlotte holds that title. At any rate, you'll be happy to know that violent crime in Charlotte (and NC as a whole) is on the decline. Also, Raleigh's neighbor (Durham) has borrowed a few of Charlotte's crime fighting techniques when it comes to prostitution.
Could Charlotte Scheme Reduce Prostitution in Durham? :: WRAL.com
Quote:
Charlotte is solving these issues as we speak. Job creation, improving schools, and attracting a young educated work force has led to a major drop in the area's mid-1990s crime rate. Char-Meck Police's take-down of the Hidden Valley Kings gang has also helped drop Charlotte's overall crime. I know that name sounds a bit "soft" for a street gang, but these young punks were bad news around here 10-15 years ago...

Gangland S04E09 HIDDEN VALLEY KINGS - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina