Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 07:08 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,458 times

Advertisements

This thread is depressing. I'm a native of the Atlanta area. My father is from western NC (mother from northern AL). I left Atlanta 10 years ago to get away from traffic, lack of history. Moved to New Orleans where I worked for 8 years and managed to complete my BA at Tulane. From there I spent a bit over 2 years in Scotland (I have 2 UK university Master's degrees). I even work right now for a member of Parliament.

I must return to America soon because of work visa issues.

I had considered NC. Its a family ancestral home of sorts (my family lived in NC since before the Revolutionary War). Thought it might be good to be around some of that history (but it sounds like there isn't much to see).

I am a native Southerner, I loved living here in Scotland...now I have no idea where would be ideal to move. (Would have considered the northeast but other Americans from outside the south seem to think I am white trash because of my accent). This thread is depressing and as much as I hate to say it, this country is depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 08:15 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Well I'd stay in the UK as long as you can, personally. NC is fine, but there are some seriously scary people in this country. I read an article yesterday on the uptick in "knife crime" in London. I wish that was all we had to worry about over here.

If you do need to come back I think NC is as good as a lot of places. Politics are crazy over here, of course, but the quality of life is pretty good. You might like the Triangle. There is some history here, though more in an Atlanta way rather than a UK way. The mountains are great, but less job opportunities there.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:51 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
I have lived in southern Calif. and I spent 10 years in NYC, also a cpl of years in Boston and NJ.

I wouldn’t trade those experiences for anything, and they made me appreciate the qualities that NC and the Southeast hold over most other parts of the country.

Many aspects of how nice NC is compared to the rest of the country are taken for granted until you see how much worse things could be as seen in other states.

NC is managed and maintained pretty dawg on well compared to most states by people who actually care and put thought into the state’s resources.

Coming to mind, the state aquariums, parks, decent upkeep of the state’s 80,000 miles of roads and infrastructure estimated at $575 billion.

Regarding the beaches, they’re special because of what’s not built, no concrete sea walls, no boardwalks, and usually one makes a top ten list for beaches.

Consumer protections in NC are strong and why you have nation’s lowest auto insurance rates.

Most states, like here in Georgia, are like the Wild West with no oversight of so many aspects of what’s going on much less trying to make things look nice like with the wildflower program
implemented on NC’s highways.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,156 times
I hate it too! Too many republicans, haha, I'm just playing but seriousy there are some "Burn the blacks and gays" type of people around the Charlotte area. I'm outta here in a few years.

Old 10-17-2018, 12:23 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryleehtcheer View Post
I hate it too! Too many republicans, haha, I'm just playing but seriousy there are some "Burn the blacks and gays" type of people around the Charlotte area. I'm outta here in a few years.
You have that kind of people almost everywhere, thankfully, they are a very small minority.

No, I don't hate NC. I've been here for almost two decades. I wouldn't have stayed if I hated it.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:56 AM

994 posts, read 967,835 times
I live in South Carolina but come to North Carolina a few times a week on a consistent basis because of the hiking. Now at the age of 30, I finally went and vacationed places out west like Vegas Phoenix and some of California.The Landscape and Vibe out there is so different compared to the east and and I fell in love with the West. But it's hard to move out there when all of your family and friends are on the other side of the country. I love these western nc mtns and Asheville.

You can hate where you live if you've been there all your life. go explore while you can before committing to living somewhere.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:44 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
I’m not sure it’s really NC I hate, rather i dislike rural areas.

Charlotte, Raleigh, Charleston, Savannah, Asheville, Wilmington, Greenville SC and Atlanta I all love in the 3 respective states whereas I can say I dislike the rest of the 3 states.

But honestly, I think it comes down to rural vs suburb/urban for me.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:59 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
I was born and raised in NC, but left for graduate school and never returned. I would live in NC again, but really like the Midwest, so I will probably end up staying here long term. I don't NC at all, but I do hate certain elements about it.

- A large chunk of the state is rural and mostly rednecks. I'm from "the city" AKA Raleigh (which is laughable to me now that I live in Chicago), so I was seen as an outsider by these people, even though my family has been in NC for as long as I can trace back.

- The politics are incredibly toxic. The state is gerrymandered to death so that the super conservative people stay in power.

- I didn't like the direction Raleigh was taking. Growth is always good, but Raleigh is growing so fast that the schools and roads cannot keep up with the demand. Housing is overvalued/overpriced. Salaries are too low for the cost of living. Every time I return, it seems like 75% of the people I come across are from NY, NJ, or somewhere else in the Northeast. I don't have a problem with them, but they do have different cultures and personalities that clash with my Southern upbringing.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:22 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The politics are incredibly toxic. The state is gerrymandered to death so that the super conservative people stay in power.
I don't disagree with this quote at all, but you live in Chicago. Aren't they pretty much the butt of all political and voting jokes?

Old 10-25-2018, 09:49 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
I don't disagree with this quote at all, but you live in Chicago. Aren't they pretty much the butt of all political and voting jokes?
Oh yes, the politics here are just as bad. They are just on a different side of the spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina