Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:19 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,832,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishseabee View Post
I am wondering if anyone has any advice they could provide. My sudivision has a clubhouse with a pool. The HOA decided that they are going to hire a security firm for this weekend to ensure that everyone has an ID for use of the pool. They have made folks go get their picture taken along with their children(ages 5 and up) and then sent out the IDs to everyone. These IDs have the name, address and phone number even on the childs ID. Now, we live in a pretty tough world where there are predators all over the place. Is there a law that protects us from consenting to the pictures and them not allowing us to use the pool facilities or denying our children the use of the pool. This was just mandated and not part of any of the bylaws when we purchased our home three years ago. I am quite frustrated and I believe there would be some protection for us to channel this through. The president has also hired his mother in law and Sister in law who dont live in the subdivision to check IDs after this holiday weekend. Does not make a lot of sense to me. Help please!!!
An open pool with no oversight is likely a much worse scenario than child id cards. But for minors, I'd agree that a simple emeg contact number (parents) would suffice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 07:31 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,562,450 times
My next house will have no HOA!! For those who are in one, consider loss assessment insurance under your homeowner's policy.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:30 AM

936 posts, read 2,399,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
My next house will have no HOA!! For those who are in one, consider loss assessment insurance under your homeowner's policy.
Blue what is loss assessment insurance?

Old 05-28-2010, 08:39 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,812,994 times
For vacation houses I think a Homeowners assoc is great ; the right one is a good one.

But I also think that when people initially buy into these places, they need to give it time to settle down and not expect changes to suit their needs. After all, others have been living in these areas for many many years and are slow to change wheather for the good or not.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:41 AM

2 posts, read 4,301 times
I definitely agree that oversight is a must. That is what a lifeguard is for but I dont understand how they can make it mandatory for kids to get pics taken then place their picture along with address and phone number on an ID card. Kinda scary if someone of the predator sort would get hold of this card and follow your child around and befriend them. Very bad scenario.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:13 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,123,907 times
I would NOT go for that at all. Do you attend meetings where things like this are discussed? It's too late to change for this weekend but I would definitely make sure that my address and phone number were not visible and rally the other homeowners to protest. We have always had to have badges in our development. 2 years ago they made photo IDs for just the property owners. They don't have any info on them other than our pictures and the badges for all of our guests have nothing but an id number.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 PM

3,756 posts, read 9,562,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
Blue what is loss assessment insurance?

All homeowners are liable for any costs should there be a lawsuit in a homeowner's association. So, if the HOA has insurance for 3 million and the verdict is over, then each and every homeowner is responsible for the 1 million. Call your insurance agent and ask them. You can get as much as $50,000 for less than 12 bucks a month. Well worth it.

Loss assessment insurance specfiically applies to HOA's.

Good luck.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:31 PM

483 posts, read 556,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
All homeowners are liable for any costs should there be a lawsuit in a homeowner's association. So, if the HOA has insurance for 3 million and the verdict is over, then each and every homeowner is responsible for the 1 million. Call your insurance agent and ask them. You can get as much as $50,000 for less than 12 bucks a month. Well worth it.

Loss assessment insurance specfiically applies to HOA's.

Good luck.
Good post. I've never heard of it.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:33 PM

483 posts, read 556,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMONLYGIRL View Post
I Live In A Community With A Hoa That Does Absolutely Nothing. However, The Bod Always Buy New Cars And Make Improvemnets To Their Homes Above Their Means. So I Stopped Paying My Dues Because I Refuse To Pay Their Auto Loans. Then I Received Letters That They Will Shut Off My Water Unless I Pay. So I Offered To Pay My Water Portion Of The Dues But They Refused. So Now My Water Is Off Today. Is There Anyway I Can Pay Just My Water Bill Portion Of My Dues Or Are They Correct? I Cannot Afford To Pay The Back Dues Owed!
Wow. I live in an HOA and our water is a seperate bill. The local municpality will soon put you out of your own home when they find out you don't have water there. I'd find another way to protest these theives.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:06 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,179,478 times
I lived in a HOA community, but never more. HOA's should have written constitutions that limit their authority to just the common areas, like playgrounds, pool, security, etc... They should have no authority whatsoever over the house that you bought with your own money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania