Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:35 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Many homeowners associations in NEPA are run right and do the right thing to perserve property values, etc.

Sometimes, there are associations who do not act in the best interest of everyone involved. I posted a thread a while ago asking folks here if they knew who is the governing body to oversee them, in the case of a problem.

I found my answer and thought I would share it with you in case you ever feel the need to get help without paying an attorney in NEPA. You, as a consumer have a right to notify the Attorney General's Office in Harrisburg.

You can file the appropriate complaint online. In turn, they send you a letter and investigate the allegations. Most Board of Directors are answerable to their community.

If anyone has any questions feel free to pm me. I am glad I know now, because I think that 8 months after elections - not notifying property owners the results of the elections, where the monies are going are just plain wrong.

I hope to educate myself and other's here who have had similar problems.

"Knowledge is Power"

The Hat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 11:58 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,114,293 times
It's so good of you to post that info! I hope you are able to get the answers you are looking for, through this route. I think when you move into a community with a HOA, you should be given the information that you had to ferret out.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:11 PM

Pocono,
Thanks for responding. When you ask the Association Attorney (who is now a judge) and you email the BOD three different times over a period of 8 months and are ignored, I think that any member in good standing (up to date of assessments, dues, etc) has a right to know this information. I learned a long time ago, "You teach people how to treat you".

I also thought it was good to post this information for others out there who feel overpowered and bullied by some of these associations - who in my opinion "think that they are above the law".

Hat

Old 02-09-2008, 12:14 PM

Here is the website for anyone that is interested:

Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General - Tom Corbett - Protecting Pennsylvanians

Old 02-10-2008, 09:24 AM

60 posts, read 158,916 times
Being new to the HOA environment, this is good info. Thanks!

Toon

Old 02-10-2008, 09:26 AM

910 posts, read 2,992,634 times
So Hat, after going through all this, do you plan on moving somewhere where there is a HOA or are you going to try to live free?

Old 02-10-2008, 09:45 AM

Honestly, there are Associations where the Board of Directors are not on power trips. I think it depends on the community. Haven't made up our minds yet, but I think it is criminal when property owners are ignored for answers they have a right to. In building our next house, I will have definitely done my research so I will know what I am getting into.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:50 AM

Hey Toon,

It's my pleasure to help. Some folks have helped me on this forum in other areas. It is important to share information because informs and educates others about the different things that go on here in NEPA. Knowing your rights enables you to protect your property values and other issues that come up in the future like assessments, etc...

Also for the rest of you reading out there: to get a free copy of the Pennsylvania Planned Communities Act: Frequently Asked Questions call this number 717-783-2037. The Commonwealth Rep's office will mail you a free copy!
or email: cbalck@pahousegop.com -
Lawyers in NEPA charge too much when you can get the info you need.

The Hat

Old 02-10-2008, 11:49 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,026 times
After living in The Hideout for 14 years, I can honestly say that the place is run on the up and up. The Board of Drectors are stricktly by the book, as well as the other branches of the Association. There are WAY too many people who would make it public if they did anything wrong. They are under the watchful eye of many!

Old 02-10-2008, 12:05 PM

PA,
The Hideout is much bigger than my and Toon's community. We average 45 houses. How many houses in the Hideout? That is great that things are run right, the way it should be. Unfortunately, things here are not be run correctly. Now, our BOD are going to find out that they are under the watchful eye of of an outside agency. The last thing they need is an audit or bringing attention to themselves. Strictly by the book....that is what they need to learn!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania