Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 07:19 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconogirl View Post
Live next to us summer!
Your so kind.......I know I would love that.
Well, if my wish comes true, I won't be far......We'll meet up at Nicks!
We ate at Luna Rosa tonight on 209. It is really pretty in there and you can eat outdoors also. I loved it.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,873 times
What laws relate to the responsibilities of HOA's pertaining to elections and accountability as to where the funds are spent. My HOA bills me every year and yet we have not had any meetings or elections of officers in 3 years. As an officer of a non-profit group I am aware the law states that we must conduct ourselves as a corporation with scheduled meetings, elections of officers, and full disclosure of funds to maintain our legal non-profit corporation status. Are HOA's held to the same standard of conduct?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:49 PM

513 posts, read 1,080,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hickory View Post
What laws relate to the responsibilities of HOA's pertaining to elections and accountability as to where the funds are spent. My HOA bills me every year and yet we have not had any meetings or elections of officers in 3 years. As an officer of a non-profit group I am aware the law states that we must conduct ourselves as a corporation with scheduled meetings, elections of officers, and full disclosure of funds to maintain our legal non-profit corporation status. Are HOA's held to the same standard of conduct?
You can get a copy of the Pennsylvanis Uniform Planned Communities Act here:
http://www.parealtor.org/content/Pla...ommunities.asp

The Act details what must be contained in By-Laws and what can and can't be in your documents. There are plenty of HOA websites that have documents posted if you want to see how things are worded. You can also check these for additional info:

Realty Times - HOA Rules: Less Is More

No much specific in that PUPC ACt, nothing on limiting the power of the HOA. The HOA's bylaws set the rules and responsibilities, which are typically very vague, such as supercedent clauses that allow the HOA board to "act in the best interest of the community".

Good luck.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:56 AM

2 posts, read 2,671 times
Captain Hickory:
Sounds like you live where i do..I have a vacation home in the Pocono's that i inherited..they have not had any HOA meetings in 3 years, and all I get are rude replies to my inquiries. In addition my deed says I have lake rights at 3 points and yet i'm told I never joined the "separate" membership at the tune of 1000.00 plus 500 a year. I'm told it's an "insurance" issue. Anyone know where I can find the laws that regulate PA HOA's?

Old 07-23-2011, 01:39 PM

3,968 posts, read 2,352,311 times
I'd like to know what are the responsibilites of HOA's pertaining to criminal activity going on in their community. This can be from trespassing to more serious crimes. It seems that HOA's turn a blind eye to these criminal activities.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 6,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I'd like to know what are the responsibilites of HOA's pertaining to criminal activity going on in their community. This can be from trespassing to more serious crimes. It seems that HOA's turn a blind eye to these criminal activities.
I've had a trespassing problem for a couple of years. They told me there was nothing they could do, but if I identified them, they would get fined.
We do not have any way to get in touch with the "security patrol" if something may warrant their attention. All these patrols can do is write down license numbers and generate fines. The security patrol's responsibilities are not very well defined.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl91134 View Post
I've had a trespassing problem for a couple of years. They told me there was nothing they could do, but if I identified them, they would get fined.
We do not have any way to get in touch with the "security patrol" if something may warrant their attention. All these patrols can do is write down license numbers and generate fines. The security patrol's responsibilities are not very well defined.
I would send a certfied letter to this person, a letter to the HOA and a letter to the State Police barracks that serves your area stating that you don't want this individual and occupants of his residence on your property at anytime. At least it will be on record in case it escalates to a more serious matter. There is a state law on the books about this but most law enforcement(including "security") rather not get involved. Google "defiant trespasser" in PA and it will give you specifics. I understand your frustration. I have been dealing with this for a few years as well. Only recently has it calmed down to the point that my neighbor is recognizing boundaries. I think they have been fined but who knows since security and my HOA don't want to give me specifics. IMHO, HOA's need to realize that naturally some folks just don't get along. That's why property boundaries are established in the first place.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I would send a certfied letter to this person, a letter to the HOA and a letter to the State Police barracks that serves your area stating that you don't want this individual and occupants of his residence on your property at anytime. At least it will be on record in case it escalates to a more serious matter. There is a state law on the books about this but most law enforcement(including "security") rather not get involved. Google "defiant trespasser" in PA and it will give you specifics. I understand your frustration. I have been dealing with this for a few years as well. Only recently has it calmed down to the point that my neighbor is recognizing boundaries. I think they have been fined but who knows since security and my HOA don't want to give me specifics. IMHO, HOA's need to realize that naturally some folks just don't get along. That's why property boundaries are established in the first place.
Thank you for the reference. Other than direct verbal requests to stay off my property, finding out who they are and following up would be difficult, if not risky, in my estimation.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghnl91134 View Post
Thank you for the reference. Other than direct verbal requests to stay off my property, finding out who they are and following up would be difficult, if not risky, in my estimation.
There is a risk in terms of retaliation from the parties involved in the matter. In my case, that's the only way I was taken seriously. Free legal advice given to me from a lawyer friend in another state was the push I needed to send these certified letters. I took pictures as well. Not only did the state police barracks have my letter, I called them once when they were feeling frisky(playing loud music, physically threatening me, etc.) The trooper had a nice fireside chat with this person. The individual in recent months has stayed off of my property and minded his own business. You know, like a normal person We'll never eat milk and cookies together but who cares.

Back on the topic of HOA's, very political structure to say the least. Nice racket if you can get a job/on good terms with them. Unless you are in their "circle", they are a PITA to deal with. All I can say is become well versed with their bylaws. That seemed to help me in my situation as well.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:41 AM

Back on the topic of HOA's, very political structure to say the least. Nice racket if you can get a job/on good terms with them. Unless you are in their "circle", they are a PITA to deal with. All I can say is become well versed with their bylaws. That seemed to help me in my situation as well.[/quote]

Believe me, I'm finding that out. Some also have short fuses. I've attended meetings where the right question from a member shut the meeting down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania